Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

33 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Huge call that. We’ll have to see how you get on.

Personally, I think the Saints, Leeds, and Norwich will have something to say about that.

I’m famously wrong about absolutely everything.

• Haha 1

On 23/06/2023 at 00:50, Happy Fox said:

Watford won’t do much next season they have sold there best prospect to Brighton.

Probably mid table.

They need to be very careful. I think they'll keep most their squad but a bad start and players heads start being turned because they think they're bigger than the club but too good to go down. We know how that ends.

I can see it now, they'll be a lot of conversations about how Leicester and clubs like Brighton dared to dream and have paid the price in the media. When in reality the closed shop Super League teams are making sure it happens.

• Like 2

Currently I think the top 6 will consist of 

Us, Southampton, Leeds, Ipswich, Bristol and Sunderland. 

Just looking at the southampton and leeds squads I cant see them collapsing like some teams do and in truth out of everyone, weve got the biggest rebuild on our hands. 

I think Ipswich look to spend some dosh and we all know the momentum can carry you over when you come up. 

Sunderland are just slowly making good progress and youd think will be improved on last year if they can replace Diallo's creativity

Bristol... just looks to me like Nige is playing a blinder and bringing in all the right sort of players.  I think theres every chance they are the surprise package of the season.  If scott goes, it will be hard to replace him but I think they will benefit from it by being able to get 5/6 solid championship players.  They look to be building a team good enough for the championship rather than a team for the prem... but that has worked well for luton. 

Obviously Norwich, watford, boro and blackburn are likely to pish as well. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I see a few clubs start pre season today (or before?). When do we start back?

Academy are back today, 1st team are back next Monday. Although the players who have played in their internationals may get longer. 

11 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Just looking at the southampton and leeds squads I cant see them collapsing like some teams do and in truth out of everyone, weve got the biggest rebuild on our hands. 

I think Ipswich look to spend some dosh and we all know the momentum can carry you over when you come up. 

Sunderland are just slowly making good progress and youd think will be improved on last year if they can replace Diallo's creativity

Bristol... just looks to me like Nige is playing a blinder and bringing in all the right sort of players.  I think theres every chance they are the surprise package of the season.  If scott goes, it will be hard to replace him but I think they will benefit from it by being able to get 5/6 solid championship players.  They look to be building a team good enough for the championship rather than a team for the prem... but that has worked well for luton. 

I don’t think you are too far wrong with that top six apart from us, Leeds and Southampton. It never works out that all 3 relegated teams get top six so one of won’t be in it and my concern is as you say, we are the ones with the biggest rebuild. 

I think swap one of us 3 with a surprise package and you’re about right, I wouldn’t consider Bristol city as a surprise package as under Pearson it’s been organic growth for them and that will continue. Maybe Blackburn for either Ipswich or Sunderland as well  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Looking at the fixtures, it looks like Wednesday is the midweek fixture night. Is that a new thing, or is it just because it's us?

I think that's the standard day they stick it on until TV is decided.

• Like 2

I cannot make my mind up where will we finish, depends how we start the season. If we start off well come end of september and how are in the top six then I fancy us to go on win the league. Slow start, I reckon midtable and possibly play offs at best.  

Top Six-

Middlesbrough, Norwich, Us, Watford, Leeds Utd and Swansea.

Relegation-

Preston North End, Cardiff and Rotherham. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

38 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

I am not making a single prediction until we see some transfer movement. We don't have a clue how we'll line up against Cov, let alone the style we'll play.

It's exciting and unnerving in equal measure. The waiting is the horrible bit.

This. Any prediction at this point is based on no real information. We've a manager who has barely ever been a manager. And we've got to sell/replace half a squad. 

Way too many unknowns to make any kind of prediction. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

I am not making a single prediction until we see some transfer movement. We don't have a clue how we'll line up against Cov, let alone the style we'll play.

It's exciting and unnerving in equal measure. The waiting is the horrible 

Cant make my mind up on next season but with an inexperienced manager and half a squad  i think next season could go two ways either we will do a Burnley or maybe go the same way as Sunderland of a few years ago ! I sincerely hope the former !

Joe Bryan looking like going to Milwall.

Bit of an odd one, said he turned down Bristol City return to persue other opportunities abroad, so no idea what has happened there!

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Bristol City won't be near. People have a fixation because it's Pearson but in reality they are nowhere near the sides that you've included just to push including Middlesbrough who are a far better side. Millwall are usually around the top 6 too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Bristol City won't be near. People have a fixation because it's Pearson but in reality they are nowhere near the sides that you've included just to push including Middlesbrough who are a far better side. Millwall are usually around the top 6 too.

Pearson aside, it’s the business they are doing that’s impressing me. Just very smart signings similar to the wes morgan type deals we went for. Proven players at this level for bargain prices… that gives you the foundations… then if you find a bit of magic to go with it and you’re cooking. 

3 hours ago, CountesthorpeFox1 said:

I don’t think you are too far wrong with that top six apart from us, Leeds and Southampton. It never works out that all 3 relegated teams get top six so one of won’t be in it and my concern is as you say, we are the ones with the biggest rebuild. 

I think swap one of us 3 with a surprise package and you’re about right, I wouldn’t consider Bristol city as a surprise package as under Pearson it’s been organic growth for them and that will continue. Maybe Blackburn for either Ipswich or Sunderland as well  

I have a feeling blackburn will struggle without breretons goals. 

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino
1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

idk how anyone can say that any team won’t be near. Nobody expected Barnsley to be up there a couple of seasons ago, Luton the season before last or probably Cov last year, Huddersfield when they went up etc.

Mugs game trying to predict the Championship, there’s always a couple of teams that nobody expected to be up there that find themselves in the mix.

I do think Bristol City are being overstated. Always happens when a team makes a couple of signings early but that’s an overweighted factor. 

26 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

idk how anyone can say that any team won’t be near. Nobody expected Barnsley to be up there a couple of seasons ago, Luton the season before last or probably Cov last year, Huddersfield when they went up etc.

Mugs game trying to predict the Championship, there’s always a couple of teams that nobody expected to be up there that find themselves in the mix.

I do think Bristol City are being overstated. Always happens when a team makes a couple of signings early but that’s an overweighted factor. 

I say it because I get bored of seeing the "they will be up there" comments based on nothing aside from Pearson being manager. They will more than likely lose Scott too.

You are right that there are surprises, though I wouldn't put Luton or Coventry in the same breath as Bristol City because both Luton and Coventry were knocking around the top 10 finally making the top 6. Brentford before that. A bit like how Millwall and Blackburn are they other way in that they seem to be up there then just miss out. Bristol City haven't finished any higher than 14th under Pearson, so I should say I will be highly surprised if they finish top 6 but you are right obviously that the table cannot be predicted this early.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Joe Bryan looking like going to Milwall.

Bit of an odd one, said he turned down Bristol City return to persue other opportunities abroad, so no idea what has happened there!

Well The new Den is a bit like a third world country so may be that's what he meant? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Pearson aside, it’s the business they are doing that’s impressing me. Just very smart signings similar to the wes morgan type deals we went for. Proven players at this level for bargain prices… that gives you the foundations… then if you find a bit of magic to go with it and you’re cooking. 

I have a feeling blackburn will struggle without breretons goals. 

blackburns reserves beat our first team (near on) in the fa cup last season. keep them together and they'll be reyt. i was well impressed with them in that cup game and it wasn't their best team either!!!!!

• Like 1

As it stands I'd say Sunderland, Us and Southampton to go up. 

Our squad could (and probably will) be completely different between now and the end of August of course though.

Edited by Nalis
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

blackburns reserves beat our first team (near on) in the fa cup last season. keep them together and they'll be reyt. i was well impressed with them in that cup game and it wasn't their best team either!!!!!

My friends a rovers fan, he was of the opinion that this was their best performance and that they raised their game because it was a prem scalp. 

Overall, he said the team lacked something and he doesnt have high hopes for this season.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

My friends a rovers fan, he was of the opinion that this was their best performance and that they raised their game because it was a prem scalp. 

Overall, he said the team lacked something and he doesnt have high hopes for this season.  

I watched saw two of their games last season - Not a great amount of games to have a fair opinion on them but it is what it is and all I have to go of.

Everyone knows I have issues with playing out from the back but surprise surprise they caused their own problems and conceded from ****ing about at the back, twice, in the same game and didn't look all that - Could have just been an off day though.

The second time was against us where I thought they were excellent, but it was against us, who stunk the place out.

Edited by Matt

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

As it stands I'd say Sunderland, Us and Southampton to go up. 

Our squad could (and probably will) be completely different between now and the end of August of course though.

There were plenty on here who were predicting us getting into Europe this time last year and yes still sucking up to Rodgers. My best prediction, I don't think we will be relegated.

20 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Bristol … yuck.

2 clubs in bristol.

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 3