Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

40 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Preston is in freefall and they'll see Coventry as a game they should take.  The others are tough and Ipswich is obviously huge, as that may well wind up as the battle for the second promotion slot (with Southampton having a lot to say about it).

If Leeds come through those games still full steam ahead, then we definitely have a battle on our hands.

However, if we kick on from this great result yesterday, then hopefully it won't matter too much what these teams below us do. 

We are more than capable of going on a decent run now, with players back fit and a nice run of fixtures. 

I think key to our success over December, will be Cannon getting involved and instantly impressing and other fringe players like Akgun and Praet contributing. 

I'm feeling much more positive after this game though. Feels like the players were getting edgy and a bit of confidence had gone, but to win in that manner and against a very decent team and Manager, no doubt will have done us a lot of good! The celebrations at the end felt like that too. Game on!

If Ipswich and us have the exact same second half to the season getting points at the same rate, then we'll end up on 111 and they'll end up on 108. Both points total will smash the record which is incredible. That's how good we've both been!! 

https://skylab.com/bouncebackability-what-are-the-chances/

really good article on the performance of teams relegated within the pyramid and their chances of promotion etc.

over the past 20 years relegated teams into the championship only achieve promotion back to the premier league around 25% of the time either through automatic or playoffs instantly. Shows just how hard it is to get out of this league and also how great are start has really been. 

IMG_2445.webp

Edited by JayTheFox

23 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

From now until the end of January is going to sort out alot, it's a real grind 10 odd games.

There will be more injuries this time of season.. Maybe for some AFCON also worrying some.. 

Quality y of replacements.. Rotation.. and readiness.. That's why this wkend, would love again to see Praet, Agun, and Cannon.. Choudhary for Ricardo. 

Enzo has shown he is prepared to

pick n mix, but those first 3 need gametime.. For future needs... 

Fatawu and Mcateer have not had long

Gametime of 90 minutes also both young. Mats might do well with a break.    OPenning Gambit

with without either  Souttar or Mcateer. 

But we need at home, players getting

Into the box

Starsky

Justin. ( Souttar) Vesty.  Choudhury

Winks Praet

Fatawu.  . KDH.      Agun

Cannon (Mcateer) 

23 hours ago, JayTheFox said:

https://skylab.com/bouncebackability-what-are-the-chances/

really good article on the performance of teams relegated within the pyramid and their chances of promotion etc.

over the past 20 years relegated teams into the championship only achieve promotion back to the premier league around 25% of the time either through automatic or playoffs instantly. Shows just how hard it is to get out of this league and also how great are start has really been. 

IMG_2445.webp 25.39 kB · 4 downloads

I really do think some people have been a bit naive and had a sense of entitlement about our chances of going straight back up. Particularly after our great start. 

The simplest equation is that 3 doesn’t go into 2. At least one of the relegated clubs will miss out or be in the play off lottery. 

It’s a 46 game slog and there is plenty of time for injuries and poor form to play a part for any team. Every game ticked off and we’re still up there is a small step forward, but still a marathon to go. 

That’s why I get particularly irritated with the “blessing in disguise” nonsense that some speak. The Championship is a horrible division that’s so easy to get stuck in if you make the wrong decisions. 

18 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

2nd is 93 points, recorded in two seasons

3rd is 89 points, recorded in one season

4th is 83 points, recorded in one season.

Good research, thank you 👍

I could see a few of these under threat this season based on us, Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton. With possibly a big gap down to 5th.

31 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Yeah I think definitely 2nd goes, a good chance the others do as well. Saints and Leeds basically at 2 points a game currently, so ahead of where they would need to be.

On 03/12/2023 at 08:35, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I reckon the points record for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th all get broken this season. It's ridiculous.

On 03/12/2023 at 10:05, LCFCJohn said:

Do you know the records for 2nd, 3rd and 4th? Obviously 1st we know is 106. 

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Good research, thank you 👍

I could see a few of these under threat this season based on us, Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton. With possibly a big gap down to 5th.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah I think definitely 2nd goes, a good chance the others do as well. Saints and Leeds basically at 2 points a game currently, so ahead of where they would need to be.

all 4 teams currently on track for 90+ points, so definitely going to be an anomalous season and a tight, 4 horse race for Autos.

image.thumb.png.0d73e43a25bd86e991dc14a82babc41c.png

On 02/12/2023 at 09:26, fox_favourite said:

Is it me, or is the Southampton manager a bit too cocky in interviews, to the point of being irritating? 

Random question for a match day, I know. But I watch an interview with him and read one and he just seems like that overly confident obnoxious kid at school, or that annoying co worker that thinks he's the bees knees. I maybe completely wrong, but it's just the impression I get. 

He definitely kisses himself in the bathroom mirror before kissing the full size Brendan Rodgers portrait that sits on his bedside table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Langston said:

You seem to be weirdly obsessed with Rooney and Birmingham atm lol 

nah its the love in rooney gets for doing sod all management wise; plus i thought that stat was pretty good to show how things in the championship can change quickly

9 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

all 4 teams currently on track for 90+ points, so definitely going to be an anomalous season and a tight, 4 horse race for Autos.

image.thumb.png.0d73e43a25bd86e991dc14a82babc41c.png

Every time I see one of these I’m whisked back into the nightmare ends to 2019-20 & 2020-21, when statistically it was ‘almost impossible’ not to qualify for the Champions League.

Alas, we know what happened.

Twice.

• Like 2