Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

4 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

sunderland have got rid too, shocked at that one tbh

Not really, they've gone right off the boil and there was talk at the end of last season about them replacing him.

17 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I really do think some people have been a bit naive and had a sense of entitlement about our chances of going straight back up. Particularly after our great start. 

The simplest equation is that 3 doesn’t go into 2. At least one of the relegated clubs will miss out or be in the play off lottery. 

It’s a 46 game slog and there is plenty of time for injuries and poor form to play a part for any team. Every game ticked off and we’re still up there is a small step forward, but still a marathon to go. 

That’s why I get particularly irritated with the “blessing in disguise” nonsense that some speak. The Championship is a horrible division that’s so easy to get stuck in if you make the wrong decisions. 

Yes. And we are lucky that we still kept a big part of our squad - some of our players should not really be in the Championship let alone sitting on the bench! If we didn’t though, we would need to assemble a cheaper side with Championship players new playing with each other - a side that is very unlike a PL side. Again we are lucky we kept much of our PL side so that’s why we can play with so much excess (although as discussed in another thread we don’t have a second gear built yet as part of the new evolution).

17 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I really do think some people have been a bit naive and had a sense of entitlement about our chances of going straight back up. Particularly after our great start. 

The simplest equation is that 3 doesn’t go into 2. At least one of the relegated clubs will miss out or be in the play off lottery. 

It’s a 46 game slog and there is plenty of time for injuries and poor form to play a part for any team. Every game ticked off and we’re still up there is a small step forward, but still a marathon to go. 

That’s why I get particularly irritated with the “blessing in disguise” nonsense that some speak. The Championship is a horrible division that’s so easy to get stuck in if you make the wrong decisions. 

Yes. And we are lucky that we still kept a big part of our squad - some of our players should not really be in the Championship let alone sitting on the bench! If we didn’t though, we would need to assemble a cheaper side with Championship players new playing with each other - a side that is very unlike a PL side. Again we are lucky we kept much of our PL side so that’s why we can play with so much excess (although as discussed in another thread we don’t have a second gear built yet as part of the new evolution).

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Poor ol’ Leicester we keep having this fantastic luck, then even our gears are stuck in some same gear or another….

or is it open but wise planning,and not shouting our heads off or stamping our feet telling all how great we are,but wisely

working the odds and staying humble…

And not yet found the need yet to play around with the gears. Fans & pundits demand and keep saying first game we are not

yet playing our best…What is our best ??  Why should we try other gears if the the ride is comfortable with some various road conditions,bust through some road blocks,but suffered some  penalty points,for lack of care & attention,though aware we would come a cropper a few times…

Luck and false gear critic,strange way to debate a teams prolific success…

Sort of that same argument that the blacknight in Monty python kept using…

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

I see the managerial merry-go-round continues.

I wonder what happens to all these managers' personalised kit, do they have to enlarge their wardrobes?!!

Is it Big Fat Sam who has the most, plus the England stuff.

I've long felt Mowbray didn't suit Sunderland. You don't build an exciting team of young players and logically go for Tony Mowbray as manager. I know he was manager and that's the route they've gone down, but I don't think at his stage of his managerial career he's a project manager.

I think they'll go for a manager with Ligue 1 experience in France.

12 hours ago, Lionator said:

Comfortably one of the best teams we’ve played. 

They were, but they have been too inconsistent. Perhaps because the side is so young, but they've picked up 1 point in three games against Plymouth/Huddersfield/Millwall.

13 hours ago, Tuna said:

Not really, they've gone right off the boil and there was talk at the end of last season about them replacing him.

They have had a poor few weeks and yeah there were talks at the end of the season, but It sounds like there are fundamental differences between him and the board, from what I've heard Sunderland ownership is essentially dictating signings and Mowbray has been begging them to sign some experience while ownership only wants younger players. Looking at the last 2 seasons they look to have signed 20 odd players, only 2 of them are over 25,  2 are 24 and the rest are U23. Not really sustainable without allowing him to bring in some experience if he feels like that's what they need. 
Sunderland has the youngest squad in the league with an average age of 22.5. 

Think Mowbray has done a fantastic job there and will walk into another champ job no problem. 

• Like 1