Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

4 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59993-summer-transfer-window-2023/page/47/

Southampton a bit jealous of the players we are linked with so far lol

Being linked with  & getting…2 different fish

at present from football media..just clickbait

Southampton like us,have to sit,and wait & see….

24 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I wonder how many times the opposition fans have been blamed for costing a team points ?!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23616440.man-blamed-costing-blackburn-rovers-play-offs-given-ban/

We've not had issues with opposition fans costing us points, it's the teams they bring with them that have been the issue 😂

• Haha 2

Hahaha I didn't know championship was full of angry thick fans. So many tweets of us buying promotion, ignoring the huge income we've generated for years, and the £40m we got from Spurs today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Has this guy only just heard of parachute payments?

Also, were Bournemouth the PSG of the championship when they signed Gary Cahill?

Would just ignore the guy, he’s a Tommy Robinson supporter by the looks of his Twitter. 

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Very expensive. Good deal for Coventry.

They will miss him though.

I'm surprised no other PL clubs have looked at him. 15+ over two seasons, 20+ last season, and always looked like he was capable of everything whenever I've seen him.

A lot of waffle about us receiving parachute payments giving us an unfair advantage. 

Do these people realise we only get the parachute payment if we don’t go up? If we go up, the parachute payment is then shared equally between the clubs. It arrives at the end of the season, not the start. 

People don't listen when they are told that players were signed by selling your better ones and you don't receive parachute payments if you go back up.  The 'buying the league' and 'parachute payments not fair' were mentioned all last season by other teams fans about Burnley. They don't seem to realise that after a few years in the premier you will probably have decent players to sell and it has nothing to do with parachute payments.  Burnley initially went up, second to you, after spending about £450k on Barnes and were favourites to go down that season.  If Luton come down they will get the same treatment next year even though it has cost them hardly anything to go up in the first place.  Most of the teams in the Championship have come down from the Premier but have messed it up.  You have to keep laughing at them when they moan.  

The only thing I’m not keen on so far is how much attention we are getting and the expectation that is now on us. Don’t get me wrong, I know it was unavoidable and we have put ourselves in this position. I just much prefer the club being able to go about their business with the spotlight facing away. Now you see articles and posts from different sites and pages talking about how we’re going to be some supposed unstoppable force with the players we’re linked with- not even signed yet. 

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

The only thing I’m not keen on so far is how much attention we are getting and the expectation that is now on us. Don’t get me wrong, I know it was unavoidable and we have put ourselves in this position. I just much prefer the club being able to go about their business with the spotlight facing away. Now you see articles and posts from different sites and pages talking about how we’re going to be some supposed unstoppable force with the players we’re linked with- not even signed yet. 

Why are you worried?

The expectation is to bounce back at the first attempt we shouldn’t be in this league no disrespect. It was a right Royal f**k up to get relegated and hopefully we can now get promoted under Maresca.

10 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

A lot of waffle about us receiving parachute payments giving us an unfair advantage. 

Do these people realise we only get the parachute payment if we don’t go up? If we go up, the parachute payment is then shared equally between the clubs. It arrives at the end of the season, not the start. 

That can’t be right ??

this season we have to receive something. If what you say is correct then we have a whole season with no ‘tv income’ 

Even if you do receive for the year just finished - you have all the bills to settle for that period. What happens at the end of next season ?  We’d receive nothing based on what you’ve said - how do we pay the bills for this upcoming season ?? 

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That can’t be right ??

this season we have to receive something. If what you say is correct then we have a whole season with no ‘tv income’ 

Even if you do receive for the year just finished - you have all the bills to settle for that period. What happens at the end of next season ?  We’d receive nothing based on what you’ve said - how do we pay the bills for this upcoming season ?? 

I've looked a bit deeper - there's conflicting information. I believed the expectation is that you are expected to cut your cloth according; the money from EFL is still forthcoming because it's ultimately the Premier League what dish out the parachute payments at end of each season. 

The graph here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments#cite_note-2017-18_Parachute_Payments-1

shows for example Newcastle getting £40m - but then nothing after returning straight back but Fulham, Norwich and Watford all got zilch after immediate returns. Same applies to the bournemouth example to - 2020/21 - stayed down, received £40m....get promoted in 2021/22, receive nothing. 

This article from Southampton Echo says the following:- https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23492842.parachute-payments-will-southampton-fc-receive-relegation/#

It means a first-year payment could be worth over £50million to a club that do not seal promotion back to the Premier League, before reducing over the next two seasons. 

Parachute payments are not made at the end of a season in which the club goes on to be promoted back to the Premier League – for example, Burnley, during this campaign, will not receive a payment.

To summarise?

Saints will only be in receipt of a parachute payment at the end of the coming season should they not be promoted back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

Yet Kieran Maguire was quoted as this Football finance expert Kieran Maguire told LeicestershireLive: “You get a big dollop towards the end of June as that will help clubs to pay wage bills in June and July and also do a bit of work in the transfer market. You tend to get a reasonable amount in January as well, and then there are smaller payments in the intervening months.”

On 12/06/2023 at 23:16, Koke said:

Just realised we're gonna play the likes of Hull, Millwall, Cardiff etc. I ****ing hate this league.

That works out perfect for me. My wife’s family is from Leicester, but the other half of the family is from Hull. Whenever we get over there, we spend equal time in each location. Let’s just say there might be a bit of planning going into where we have time, ha ha hah

55 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I've looked a bit deeper - there's conflicting information. I believed the expectation is that you are expected to cut your cloth according; the money from EFL is still forthcoming because it's ultimately the Premier League what dish out the parachute payments at end of each season. 

The graph here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments#cite_note-2017-18_Parachute_Payments-1

shows for example Newcastle getting £40m - but then nothing after returning straight back but Fulham, Norwich and Watford all got zilch after immediate returns. Same applies to the bournemouth example to - 2020/21 - stayed down, received £40m....get promoted in 2021/22, receive nothing. 

This article from Southampton Echo says the following:- https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23492842.parachute-payments-will-southampton-fc-receive-relegation/#

It means a first-year payment could be worth over £50million to a club that do not seal promotion back to the Premier League, before reducing over the next two seasons. 

Parachute payments are not made at the end of a season in which the club goes on to be promoted back to the Premier League – for example, Burnley, during this campaign, will not receive a payment.

To summarise?

Saints will only be in receipt of a parachute payment at the end of the coming season should they not be promoted back to the Premier League at the first time of asking.

Yet Kieran Maguire was quoted as this Football finance expert Kieran Maguire told LeicestershireLive: “You get a big dollop towards the end of June as that will help clubs to pay wage bills in June and July and also do a bit of work in the transfer market. You tend to get a reasonable amount in January as well, and then there are smaller payments in the intervening months.”

I’m calling the Southampton echo article as garbage 

there is no way that a relegated club has to go a season without any funding because they bounce straight back. 

I can only think that they’ve been confused on the basis that parachute payments are for three seasons but you forgo them (in future) if you get promoted back. So sheff Utd will not get their third year payment because they’ve gone up end year two.  

Edited by st albans fox