Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

I think there is a bit of a danger of the preseason promotion favourites (us, Leeds, Southampton etc.) being a bit patronising towards Ipswich. It’s a bit like the big six clubs in our title winning season. Logic alone dictates that surely a squad built on lesser resources will stumble at some point. 

My benchmarks are always 10 games and then mid season. Form over 10 games can be a bit of a blip, but mid season you’ve played everyone else. After 23 games us and Ipswich will form the top two and we will both have played everyone else in the division (well, technically, after we play each other on Boxing Day). 

Personally I think it will be nip and tuck all season now and the vagaries of form, injuries, coping with absences (AFCON etc.) and maybe January signings could all prove the differentiator from here. 

9 hours ago, murphy said:

It does matter.  We have seven second tier titles, tied with Man City.  If we win the league we go clear with the most second tier titles ever.   And more silverware of course.

Well it matters to me anyway.

Exactly this well said.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Lurking Ipswich fan here, can’t resist biting to this because I see so many Leicester and Leeds fans commenting on our supposedly small squad.

What makes you think this? Our reserve team knocked out a strong Wolves team in the cup and we have competitive depth in every position on the pitch (with the probable exception of ST).

Moreover, expect us to have a busy January. We made four big signings in January last season, who have all been key players this season.

In the summer we weren’t an attractive enough option for players that matched our budget and ambition (Auston Trusty and Ellis Simms for example). Hopefully we won’t encounter that problem as much in the transfer window due to our league position, and the opportunity for players to be coached by Kieran McKenna.

Will we make top two? I don’t know, probably 50/50. I’d still back McKenna to get us up in the playoffs though.

Exciting season though, Boxing Day has all the ingredients for a cracker.

I guess that few of us that really know much about the Ipswich squad but make the assumption (hope) that a team coming up from League One would likely lack quality in depth over the whole squad, even if they have a good side.  You make the point yourself that you couldn't get your summer targets because you weren't an 'attractive enough option'.

In most years, either ourselves or Ipswich would be running away with the league, so it is annoying to have someone keeping pace with us, stride for stride (and now going ahead) just as it probably is for you too.  I had hoped that you would have fallen away by now, like Preston have, but 21 games in, it is safe to say that it is no fluke and we will probably be going toe to toe for the duration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

I remember a lot of people were saying we would drop off in season 15/16. A lot of those people saying that were so called experts and scared rival fans. Ipswich are just to good for this division it seems and fair play to them. 

tbh A lot of us (myself included) thought that too.

15/16 was such a miracle and outlier that it is pointless to use it as a benchmark.

edit - Actually as I wrote that, it occurred to me that Ipswich had their own miracle, winning the league with a promoted side in the 60s I believe?  Or did I just dream that?

Edited by murphy

9 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Lurking Ipswich fan here, can’t resist biting to this because I see so many Leicester and Leeds fans commenting on our supposedly small squad.

What makes you think this? Our reserve team knocked out a strong Wolves team in the cup and we have competitive depth in every position on the pitch (with the probable exception of ST).

Moreover, expect us to have a busy January. We made four big signings in January last season, who have all been key players this season.

In the summer we weren’t an attractive enough option for players that matched our budget and ambition (Auston Trusty and Ellis Simms for example). Hopefully we won’t encounter that problem as much in the transfer window due to our league position, and the opportunity for players to be coached by Kieran McKenna.

Will we make top two? I don’t know, probably 50/50. I’d still back McKenna to get us up in the playoffs though.

Firstly, what an amazing season you guy's are having and I wish you all the very best for the rest of the season ahead. You're a likeable club and if we are to go up I'd be very happy to see you guy's join us ahead of Leeds. 

Re: the squad, I don't think the criticisms are necessarily around the size of the squad per se, more the quality in comparison to the relegated teams. Having been down here in this league many times most recognise how difficult it is to claw your way out as the schedule is very heavy.

I think the point being made is rather that when any of us, Leeds, or Southampton have an injury or suspension the replacement typically is a full international player from one of the better international teams. Effectively any of the relegated sides could consistently play their second string and all would still be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. 

Please take it as a compliment that you are where you are given the circumstances. McKenna has done a wonderful job and you have a very talented team who all work for one another. I just think the perception from the outside looking in is that should you have 3 injuries to key players at any one time you don't necessarily have the same standard of player who can come in and keep the wheels turning in the same way that say Leeds could draft in Gnonto if Summerville got injured for example. 

Good luck for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, murphy said:

tbh A lot of us (myself included) thought that too.

15/16 was such a miracle and outlier that it is pointless to use it as a benchmark.

edit - Actually as I wrote that, it occurred to me that Ipswich had their own miracle, winning the league with a promoted side in the 60s I believe?  Or did I just dream that?

The Alf Ramsey team

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Honestly, I wasn't belittling your effort far from it. I love it when the smaller clubs buck the trend and the establishment. 

You've done amazing to get this far but the pressure builds in the second half when every game becomes a virtual must win.

Injuries and signings will play a part from January,  Only time will tell but I love your enthusiasm as we've been there in 15/16

If your Club is smart they should tie McKenna on a longterm secure Contract to keep the Vultures away. The right Manager is priceless.

Enjoy the Game on Boxing Day and the rest of the season.  I hope we both get promoted.

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Honestly, I wasn't belittling your effort far from it. I love it when the smaller clubs buck the trend and the establishment. 

You've done amazing to get this far but the pressure builds in the second half when every game becomes a virtual must win.

Injuries and signings will play a part from January,  Only time will tell but I love your enthusiasm as we've been there in 15/16

If your Club is smart they should tie McKenna on a longterm secure Contract to keep the Vultures away. The right Manager is priceless.

Enjoy the Game on Boxing Day and the rest of the season.  I hope we both get promoted.

I'm surprised you consider that a smart move considering our very recent past :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScowcroftsUglyMole said:

Fair play to you chap.

I think it's a fairytale similar to us winning the league ( don't mean to be patronising genuinely, there is just so much money at stake for you it's probably bigger in some ways, we for example bought our stadium back after getting promoted with seemingly small change from the back of the sofa)

As long as we both finish 10 pts+ clear of 3rd place I wouldn't begrudge you the title.

You are keeping us on our toes and ensuring we can't get complacent, and you are going somewhat under the radar.

Perhaps if we weren't here Man City-ing the league, you would get the credit you deserve, but its probably better this way for you.

I for one do not think you will exit the top 2 all season. I certainly hope so as long as we are also there.

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Just seen the Ipswich goals, of course it was a deflection for the first and a huge mistake from the Watford player for the second. lol 

Luck rivaling Notts Forest's last season. 

I don't see it as luck. They were pressing and pounced on a mistake. He still had to make the interception and take on the keeper. You create these opportunities when you press they way they do.

Nothing like Forest last season, where it felt some crazy divine intervention was granted them crazy amount of luck and good fortune. I mean, they got to play Arsenal at a time where that team wanted to be anywhere else other than a football pitch.

19 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Luckily that is one of the first mid pre-season signings the club did - tie in Kieran and all his staff to a long contract.  

5 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I don't see it as luck. They were pressing and pounced on a mistake. He still had to make the interception and take on the keeper. You create these opportunities when you press they way they do.

Nothing like Forest last season, where it felt some crazy divine intervention was granted them crazy amount of luck and good fortune. I mean, they got to play Arsenal at a time where that team wanted to be anywhere else other than a football pitch.

It's a honking touch from the defender.

If Faes or Vestegaard did that for us this place would explode.

26 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Lol.  You've done it again.  If you weren't belittling them last time, you are now lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, murphy said:

Lol.  You've done it again.  If you weren't belittling them last time, you are now lol

Yeah made me giggle - especially given Ipswich's excellent history and impressive honours haul. In living memory it's better than Newcastle for example. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I'm surprised you consider that a smart move considering our very recent past :D 

Firstly I never thought he was a good Manager and time proved me right.  The Manager is the most important person at the Club, All success comes from him.

We had one in Pearson who knew how to set up and run a Club from top to bottom. Even if he wasn't the best Coach. That's fine he can always employ one.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lizzibee said:

Luckily that is one of the first mid pre-season signings the club did - tie in Kieran and all his staff to a long contract.  

That's the best signing and business you can do given his record so far. He clearly knows what he's about even if things don't go his way at times.

My opinion hasn't changed since the early season run of games. Keep this as a 2 horse race. It's demoralising for Leeds, they will collapse under this constant pressure doing catch up and it will also have an impact on their playoff games. 

Let's make this a fun title race between us and Ipswich. And the latter really deserve all the praise, decent fan base and likeable team. We'd rather play them again in PL next year instead of Leeds. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, murphy said:

I still don't think so. Where they've come from to where they are now is amazing. That's not belittling them just recognising the great job they are doing.

Similar when we came out of league one to charge up the Championship only to miss out if I remember.