Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Brighton and now Villa are doing well and good for them! Even Newcastle although they are starting to struggle with the demands. Remember they all haven’t achieved anything yet! So they can’t be seen as matching our past achievements. There’s no reward for simply trying.

Villa will start to poop out like Newcastle at some point. They are punching above their weight.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2023 at 17:41, foxfanazer said:

Well boohoo. There's nothing to suggest he'd do a good job at a club with funds so it's a matter of opinion 

Without the points deduction he would have Everton on 23 points and they have won 4 out of their last 5. Considering they were playing relegation football when he joined he's done well to get them to midtable form, in fact they're not far off from challenging for Europe.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I've said it before how people laud over Brighton being this model club, but I bet they don't win a trophy. Can only sustain selling good players for so long, eventually recruitment drops off. We saw it and Southampton saw it.

Actually, when you consider how poor the second half of the table is, and how lauded they are by everyone, sitting in 8th is pretty average.  I mean - average is just fine, but they are raved about.   Definitely struggled with being in Europe and if they get raided in the Jan window it will start to get harder and harder.

13 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Without the points deduction he would have Everton on 23 points and they have won 4 out of their last 5. Considering they were playing relegation football when he joined he's done well to get them to midtable form, in fact they're not far off from challenging for Europe.

I've never suggested he hasn't done a good job. He's just limited in my opinion. Absolutely the right manager for them at the moment though 

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

I've never suggested he hasn't done a good job. He's just limited in my opinion. Absolutely the right manager for them at the moment though 

Trust me he isn’t world class, he gets the job done so I know what you are saying. Similar with southgate does the bare minimum but don’t expect any more… no one would want Southgate has their manager, and I wouldn’t want Dyche either

Edited by foxes_rule1978

On 14/12/2023 at 22:35, Jobyfox said:

Brighton are the team we were, although they haven’t yet won the Premier League, FA Cup and got to the last eight of the Champions League. 

The challenge for them, as it was for us, will be their ability to sustain it. 

I had this conversation with a friend not to long ago. I don’t want them to fail, but I do envision at some point they will. Clubs like Brighton are just one incorrect managerial appointment or a couple of poor transfer windows away from becoming mediocre again potentially. 

Success ultimately means bigger clubs want your manager and players which we have already seen happen for them, they got it right this time and replaced well with De Zerbi  but it will cycle again and the challenge will be to keep replacing their talent with more talent and it can often go wrong and when it does it can start to go downhill quickly. 

unfortunately we are a good example of that!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JayTheFox said:

I had this conversation with a friend not to long ago. I don’t want them to fail, but I do envision at some point they will. Clubs like Brighton are just one incorrect managerial appointment or a couple of poor transfer windows away from becoming mediocre again potentially. 

Success ultimately means bigger clubs want your manager and players which we have already seen happen for them, they got it right this time and replaced well with De Zerbi  but it will cycle again and the challenge will be to keep replacing their talent with more talent and it can often go wrong and when it does it can start to go downhill quickly. 

It's doable if the big clubs continue to go after your star players.

It's when they wise up and start poaching the recruitment team responsible for getting these players in the 1st place.

1 hour ago, JayTheFox said:

The thing that isn't changing at Brighton any time soon though is their owner, who seems remarkably switched on. 

Their success is based less on lightning in a bottle / a perfect storm of events and has instead been meticulously thought out, their contingency planning is second to none – something both us and Southampton never really nailed.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KP Fox said:

Looking good compared to this time last year! 

Screenshot_20231215_143533_Word.thumb.jpg.b182b49cea8bed177af804fe8c52e693.jpg

Very interesting that the top 4 last season are pretty much like for like with the 4 in the play off positions this season currently. It does show what a unusual situation this season is with us and Ipswich and our points totals!

21 hours ago, KP Fox said:

Looking good compared to this time last year! 

Screenshot_20231215_143533_Word.thumb.jpg.b182b49cea8bed177af804fe8c52e693.jpg

Leeds being on the same points tally as Burnley should come as a warning shot. Burnley finished on 101 points. Leeds will need to pick up to match that, but they are capable of putting a serious run together.