Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Trying to pick a fight with Ipswich too is silly, a shining light in the football sh*tshow. We should all be wanting them to come up with us (in 2nd). 

I hope they go up, they’re having a great season and I hope they keep it up. **** Leeds and So’ton. Unbelievable from them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stinkenzo said:

Every weekend I want the three of them to drop points. But there are two automatic spots, and we are basically in two groups of two right now, so I'm more disheartened when Leeds/Soton win than Ipswich 

If Ipswich drop a few points though then they will be worrying about Leeds and vise versa and we will be all on our own in cruise control.

15 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

I don’t get this wanting Ipswich to do well thing at all. Having a large gap points-wise to everyone else maximises our chances of getting promoted. That’s a statistical certainty. Having one team close to us to “push” us, or having a large gap from second to third so teams in playoff spots “focus” on those around them are woolly ideas that I really doubt manifest to anything tangible. 

I want as big a buffer as possible to everyone to allow for AFCON, injuries, drop offs in form, etc. If our PPG starts going on a downward trend I’d rather two teams have to close the gap to threaten our automatic promotion than just one.

I genuinely can’t see how having a team close to us all season is any way good for us. Even if psychology does play a big part in how the season pans out, I’d take the psychology associated with every other team in the division knowing they are nowhere as good as us, and have the best of the rest fighting it out for second.

It doesn't matter if we come first or second. Automatic promotion is key. As long as we keep winning, then as far as i am concerned Ipswich continuing to win simply piles the pressure on Leeds. If Leeds target looks achievable, they will push hard and do their best to make it a 3 horse race. If 3rd place 15 points behind 2nd, that will mentally take its toll. If you watched Leeds yesterday, the players looked stressed and frustrated. I think things would be very different if they were only a few points off Ipswich.

I know lots (such as my son), thinks that winning the championship is a necessity, but i really don't care. If it becomes just a 2 horse race we can have the champions battle at the end of the season.

I know i will get pelters about winning the league, but noone gives a toss that Brighton / Brentford / Bournemouth didn't win the championship. What matters is what you do when you get there.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

It doesn't matter if we come first or second. Automatic promotion is key. As long as we keep winning, then as far as i am concerned Ipswich continuing to win simply piles the pressure on Leeds. If Leeds target looks achievable, they will push hard and do their best to make it a 3 horse race. If 3rd place 15 points behind 2nd, that will mentally take its toll. If you watched Leeds yesterday, the players looked stressed and frustrated. I think things would be very different if they were only a few points off Ipswich.

I know lots (such as my son), thinks that winning the championship is a necessity, but i really don't care. If it becomes just a 2 horse race we can have the champions battle at the end of the season.

I know i will get pelters about winning the league, but noone gives a toss that Brighton / Brentford / Bournemouth didn't win the championship. What matters is what you do when you get there.

It’s nothing to do about winning the Championship - although I do want us to as football is a sport and winning in sport is good. It’s about maximising our chances of going up automatically, and I’d rather no teams be near us, rather than one, as I believe that maximises our chances of getting one of the automatic spots.

I don’t buy into the psychological aspect as much as some, as it’s too unpredictable.  Who’s to say if Ipswich overtake us at some point that we don’t completely crumble? It could be that being at the top suits us psychologically.  Nobody knows.

Would a 100m sprinter, needing second in a heat to qualify for the Olympic final, rather he was by far the fastest in the lineup  or there was someone else virtually as fast? I’d wager the former scenario, as he might have a slow start, or tire, and there might be a third guy who runs the race of his life. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 22:36, Leicester_Loyal said:

Leeds need 2.36 PPG to hit 100 points, that's 19 wins and two draws (or 20 wins) from 25 games. Needing to win 4 of every 5 games for the rest of the season is a huge task, tonight was massive.

We need 17 wins from 26 games to hit 100 points.

2.41 PPG needed to hit 100 points now. 19 wins and 1 draw (or 20 wins) from 24 games.

47 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Never been a big gate there. Empty seats in the PL most weeks.

Saw the Southampton highlights last night, more empty seats at the end than we get - well, probably the same. Mind you, St Marys is a nightmare to get away from.

2 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

If Ipswich drop a few points though then they will be worrying about Leeds and vise versa and we will be all on our own in cruise control.

At the same time though the more Ipswich (and ourselves) win, it adds pressure on Leeds/Soton to keep up and any dropped points, which they do far more than the two of us do, builds pressure even more 

I've said I want Ipswich to keep pushing us and it's good they are doing well, and whether or not some other people don't agree I think it is a good thing from a psychology perspective I think it will keep us humble and makes a 100+ points season more likely.

But I still like it when Ipswich drop points.

Think some people are too touchy about fans enjoying the points race with Ipswich lol

2 hours ago, Blarmy said:

It’s nothing to do about winning the Championship - although I do want us to as football is a sport and winning in sport is good. It’s about maximising our chances of going up automatically, and I’d rather no teams be near us, rather than one, as I believe that maximises our chances of getting one of the automatic spots.

I don’t buy into the psychological aspect as much as some, as it’s too unpredictable.  Who’s to say if Ipswich overtake us at some point that we don’t completely crumble? It could be that being at the top suits us psychologically.  Nobody knows.

Would a 100m sprinter, needing second in a heat to qualify for the Olympic final, rather he was by far the fastest in the lineup  or there was someone else virtually as fast? I’d wager the former scenario, as he might have a slow start, or tire, and there might be a third guy who runs the race of his life. 

You probably didn't watch the last 2 games of Leeds. It was more than obvious their players were stressed and they were rushing everything. Farke also is now more afraid to use his bench, he's waiting until the 75min to make any changes. Their fans are losing patience, they're obsessed with automatic promotion because for some reason they think the team will collapse in playoffs. 

Ipswich will batter them next week. 1-4 to Ipswich. 

4 hours ago, Blarmy said:

I don’t get this wanting Ipswich to do well thing at all. Having a large gap points-wise to everyone else maximises our chances of getting promoted. That’s a statistical certainty. Having one team close to us to “push” us, or having a large gap from second to third so teams in playoff spots “focus” on those around them are woolly ideas that I really doubt manifest to anything tangible. 

I want as big a buffer as possible to everyone to allow for AFCON, injuries, drop offs in form, etc. If our PPG starts going on a downward trend I’d rather two teams have to close the gap to threaten our automatic promotion than just one.

I genuinely can’t see how having a team close to us all season is any way good for us. Even if psychology does play a big part in how the season pans out, I’d take the psychology associated with every other team in the division knowing they are nowhere as good as us, and have the best of the rest fighting it out for second.

Mostly because it’s funny to watch Leeds and Southampton suffer. 

4 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

I think it does matter. We should live in the now and aim to win the division we’re playing in this season. Yes second place gets you promoted but I want us to win trophies from the level we are currently playing at. 
I would much rather Ipswich get second place than the other relegated teams as they totally deserve it based on performance so far. I would like there to be a six point gap between us though. Enough to keep the pressure on but also a little breathing space. 

• Like 1