Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

EFL says referees have got 85% of key decisions correct in the Championship this season.

I'd like the stat on referees/VAR in the Premier League, I imagine it's lower and more controversial. 

I think we can all accept mistakes, but when they're using technology to limit mistakes and it causes more mistakes and more controversy that's unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

EFL says referees have got 85% of key decisions correct in the Championship this season.

I'd like the stat on referees/VAR in the Premier League, I imagine it's lower and more controversial. 

I think we can all accept mistakes, but when they're using technology to limit mistakes and it causes more mistakes and more controversy that's unacceptable. 

I’m sure that’s not accurate, because they won’t be counting should be pens etc. No way they’re going back to moments like the one faes caught a players leg and it’s just a corner, without much protest.

But irregardless, the game is better without the interference. fans of teams are also better weathered to just get on with it.  Can’t remember seeing people cry over any decisions the way arsenal have been… partly down to the fact that perfection isn’t expected without var. 

I’d like to think without var, artetas moaning after newcastle would have been a little more subdued…. maybe not though as he’s a class A c you next tuesday 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Totally relaxed about the Leeds Ipswich game, I don't really care about the result, whatever it is has it's positives for us. If Leeds catch us from here they'll have to put together one of the best runs of all time, and/or we'll have to totally collapse (or a mixture of both).

I'm expecting 92/93 points to be enough for automatic promotion.

Pretty much agree. The thing is not to get too involved in other team's results, just look after our own.

Has there been as season when 92 points were not enough to get promoted?

We possibly need another 12 wins and a couple of draws to get there. The quicker we get them the better so the Rotherham match is important because it is the next game and the next chance to get  3 of the required points.

Also I'm not seeing much mention of Southampton. It is starting to look like a 4 team race for the top 2 positions. Nobody else seems able to put long runs together of consistent wins and this is  really the key. Pretty much all the teams are capable of beating the others but not many seem able to string win after win on a consistent basis.

Obviously if we can extend the lead over the 3rd placed team then that is a good thing. But, there's a long long way to go yet and all we've done so far is put ourselves in a decent position.

Edited by reynard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

85% is shocking so are they admitting that they are ****ing up on the regular? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I assume this only relates to black and white incidents like offsides - the majority of decisions are subjective, even within the rules (penalties/hand balls in particular).

So i wouldn't pay too much attention to this boast.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I’d happily take 85% if it means not having to wait before celebrating every goal, not having the game and every decision over analysed and then at times the wrong decision still reached.

Mistakes happen, but over a season they even themselves out usually, we’ve had a few this season for and against us and non have made me wish VAR or anything else was in place.

I agree as I hate var but 85% is not a good stat at all. 

Edited by Unabomber

2 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I assume this only relates to black and white incidents like offsides - the majority of decisions are subjective, even within the rules (penalties/hand balls in particular).

So i wouldn't pay too much attention to this boast.

Don’t think it’s a boast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Pretty much agree. The thing is not to get too involved in other team's results, just look after our own.

Has there been as season when 92 points were not enough to get promoted?

We possibly need another 12 wins and a couple of draws to get there. The quicker we get them the better so the Rotherham match is important because it is the next game and the next chance to get  3 of the required points.

Also I'm not seeing much mention of Southampton. It is starting to look like a 4 team race for the top 2 positions. Nobody else seems able to put long runs together of consistent wins and this is  really the key. Pretty much all the teams are capable of beating the others but not many seem able to string win after win on a consistent basis.

Obviously if we can extend the lead over the 3rd placed team then that is a good thing. But, there's a long long way to go yet and all we've done so far is put ourselves in a decent position.

Pretty sure 90 has been enough for Autos in every previous Championship season 

2 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think an Ipswich win would serve us better. If we win against Rotherham then beat Ipswich we'd be 6 points ahead of Ipswich and at least 16 points ahead of Leeds. You'd like to think that would be enough to see us through. 

But possibly only 13 ahead of Southampton in 3rd. Still a great position though!

• Like 1

The points total for the teams that finished 3rd by year.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/history/Championship-Seasons

22/23 - Luton 80

21/22 - Huddlesfield 82

20/21 - Brentford 87

19/20 - Brentford 81

18/19 - Leeds 83

17/18 - Fulham 88

16/17 - Reading 85

15/16 - Brighton 89

14/15 - Norwich 86

13/14 - Derby 85

12/13 - Watford 77

11/12 - West Ham 86

10/11 - Swansea 80

09/10 - Forest 79

08/09 - Shef U 80

07/08 - Hull 75

06/07 - Derby 84

05/06 - Watford 81

04/05 - Ipswich 85

03/04 - Sunderland 79

02/03 - Shef U 80

01/02 - Wolves 86

Worst case looking at that we need 90 points. 

We’re on 55, so another 35 points needed from 24 games. An average of 1.45 points per game. 

We are averaging 2.5 points per game at the moment, so in theory we could be unofficially promoted in 14 games time should we maintain that average. So the 5th March Vs Sunderland. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CheeseHead said:

But possibly only 13 ahead of Southampton in 3rd. Still a great position though!

Yea the points advantage we care about isn't over Leeds, it's over third. Win v Rotherham and either Leeds or Southampton win and it stays the same, so a Leeds win is preferable because that allows us to extend over second given third almost certainly won't change even if Leeds lose 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Yea the points advantage we care about isn't over Leeds, it's over third. Win v Rotherham and either Leeds or Southampton win and it stays the same, so a Leeds win is preferable because that allows us to extend over second given third almost certainly won't change even if Leeds lose 

Southampton will drop points at some point, Leeds lose has gotta be the favoured result, them winning just keeps them in touch. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

The points total for the teams that finished 3rd by year.

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/history/Championship-Seasons

22/23 - Luton 80

21/22 - Huddlesfield 82

20/21 - Brentford 87

19/20 - Brentford 81

18/19 - Leeds 83

17/18 - Fulham 88

16/17 - Reading 85

15/16 - Brighton 89

14/15 - Norwich 86

13/14 - Derby 85

12/13 - Watford 77

11/12 - West Ham 86

10/11 - Swansea 80

09/10 - Forest 79

08/09 - Shef U 80

07/08 - Hull 75

06/07 - Derby 84

05/06 - Watford 81

04/05 - Ipswich 85

03/04 - Sunderland 79

02/03 - Shef U 80

01/02 - Wolves 86

Worst case looking at that we need 90 points. 

We’re on 55, so another 35 points needed from 24 games. An average of 1.45 points per game. 

We are averaging 2.5 points per game at the moment, so in theory we could be unofficially promoted in 14 games time should we maintain that average. So the 5th March Vs Sunderland. 

Interesting numbers and that it really does stop short of reaching 90 no matter how close!

I think that could change this season though. When seeing the comparison tables after the same number of games recently, it seems that the teams in 3-6 place this season are about on a par with 1-4 last. It adds weight to Leeds and Southampton thinking they are unfortunate, not because they deserve to be top/second this season but because they are doing what is normally required and are not just outside the top 2 but by double figures!

If that translates, it’s stands to reason that at least one of them will get a points total that is more like what second normally gets and breaking a record for 3rd place.

• Like 2

On 20/12/2023 at 06:07, Aus Fox said:

Ipswich’s Luongo makes the decision to retire from international football and will now not miss any games for the up and coming Asian Cup.

That's a huge boost for them. He's integral to their system. A chance of a lifetime for a lot of them, this is. 

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

A Leeds win is NOT preferable, regardless of probable gap to 3rd. The longer term effect of a Leeds win v Ipswich could be more damaging down the line

Just watched a Leeds podcast, recorded just before their game v Sunderland. They were confidently predicting that Leeds would finish as champions, with one of the them predicting  a 'Maresca collapse' to 5th position. Are all Leeds fans this delusional?

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Just watched a Leeds podcast, recorded just before their game v Sunderland. They were confidently predicting that Leeds would finish as champions, with one of the them predicting  a 'Maresca collapse' to 5th position. Are all Leeds fans this delusional?

Pretty much.

They'll tell you they are a big club too.

2 hours ago, CheeseHead said:

A Leeds win is NOT preferable, regardless of probable gap to 3rd. The longer term effect of a Leeds win v Ipswich could be more damaging down the line

Against an Ipswich win it is. Draw > Leeds win > Ipswich win is the order of preference. Obviously assuming we beat Rotherham. Draw and both drop further back. Leeds win, gap stays the same to 3rd (Southampton will beat QPR) but gap over 2nd extends and we are guaranteed top after boxing day regardless of result. Ipswich win, they've got confidence and momentum ahead of boxing day and stay in touching distance of us

55 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Against an Ipswich win it is. Draw > Leeds win > Ipswich win is the order of preference. Obviously assuming we beat Rotherham. Draw and both drop further back. Leeds win, gap stays the same to 3rd (Southampton will beat QPR) but gap over 2nd extends and we are guaranteed top after boxing day regardless of result. Ipswich win, they've got confidence and momentum ahead of boxing day and stay in touching distance of us

I agree a draw is preferable. But if one has to win, it seems you’re using Southampton likely winning as justification for Leeds to win. We want them both to lose for the foreseeable! What Southampton are or aren’t doing doesn’t change what we want Leeds to do.

Promotion first then title. We have only just reached halfway this weekend so wanting Leeds to lose it still the logical viewpoint.