Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

4 hours ago, weller54 said:

... and back into the corrupt, money biased PL with VAR fiascos week after week and the media going on and on about how wonderful the money clubs are continuously!!

Damn it!!! I was happy and you had to remind me of the levels of hell... 

• Like 2

Think Beale will fail hugely at Sunderland, something about him that is false.

Stoke are a curious case in that they are mid table nothingness every year yet all their managerial appointments have made sense at this level.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It is and it isn't. I don't wish to be demeaning to it but it feels like a Carabao Cup game most weeks. We are a Premier League level team already. Credit to Maresca and the team for how easy they've made it look but all we've done for me is just prove the idea that it was the worst ever relegation undoubtedly correct.

What I would say is that absolutely spanking the division with a record points haul (difficult, but possible) would do more for confidence and momentum than scraping survival in the Premier League. Going up with 107 points courtesy of an absurdly overpowered young squad and then spending millions once promoted? Recipe for at least midtable.

Players like Fatawu will most likely stay and grow while Mavididi could be very exciting. And that's before Maresca is backed in the transfer market, which he will be handsomely. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We’re not atm but if we don’t go up this season then it will probably be a long haul with the number of players we’d have to sell 

That is true, we'd be in a much worse position next year, if we don't go up, but I was speaking historically.  Traditionally, we have been a big club in the Championship, Stoke, less so.

35 minutes ago, Corky said:

Think Beale will fail hugely at Sunderland, something about him that is false.

Stoke are a curious case in that they are mid table nothingness every year yet all their managerial appointments have made sense at this level.

Gives off serious Brendan vibes, does Beale

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mark_w said:

It’s not a coincidence that we have by far the biggest wage budget in the Championship, are top of the league, and get talked about the most. The disparity between the richest and poorest clubs is not an exclusively Premier League problem, let’s not pretend it is just because we’re the obscenely rich successful side at this level.

Relegated clubs do have an advantage with parachute payments and PL quality players but that isn't sustainable.  In the Prem, Man Utd for instance will always have much deeper pockets,regardless of how well they are performing.  In The Championship. relegated clubs that don't go back up straight away will have that advantage wiped out.  Loads of clubs that were relegated from the PL have become also rans in The Championship.  

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Obviously I don’t want them to do it but if Leeds do the double over us and Ipswich and then fail in the playoffs. You think their fans are unbearable now imagine what they’d be like if that does happen. 

At one time, the thought of my ex's Dad in Leeds being mad at the footy would make me smile...  Now, with my much improved situation down here in London, I don't really care anymore...  Meh :P 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Obviously I don’t want them to do it but if Leeds do the double over us and Ipswich and then fail in the playoffs. You think their fans are unbearable now imagine what they’d be like if that does happen. 

We'll always have that Nalis goal. They can cry into their hovis.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, copunk said:

Helps when you are playing as well as we are granted, but I've absolutely loved this season so far 🤣

I just think The Championship is closer to watching Football as it used/supposed to be, without the circus of the PL!

Yes it's great watching us be at the top and playing some good stuff but going back to the nonsense that goes along with being in the PL is going to be very bittersweet.  Going to miss the games without the absolutely pathetic VAR!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

How anyone can not be bothered about winning the league is beyond me. Smacks of the same kind of loser mentality that people were consoling themselves with in 2020 saying that we'd have taken 5th in the summer when we had clearly fumbled it. I could understand say Ipswich taking that mentality but not us. We're the biggest and best team in this division. We should be winning it.

Yeah football is all about winning trophies and I want us to set the record for most 2nd tier titles.

Call me entitled but I'd actually be very disappointed if we only finished 2nd.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I just think The Championship is closer to watching Football as it used/supposed to be, without the circus of the PL!

Yes it's great watching us be at the top and playing some good stuff but going back to the nonsense that goes along with being in the PL is going to be very bittersweet.  Going to miss the games without the absolutely pathetic VAR!!!

Did you abduct @Sacrebleuits442?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

Totally understand your point but it’s the opposite for me. The standard is so bad. It’s not competitive football. I’m sat at ht yday at 0-0 with not even a doubt that we’ll win this match. Because of all the early leavers I was back home for the 5.30 ko which was an incredible football match. Looking forward to that again next season 

51 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Totally understand your point but it’s the opposite for me. The standard is so bad. It’s not competitive football. I’m sat at ht yday at 0-0 with not even a doubt that we’ll win this match. Because of all the early leavers I was back home for the 5.30 ko which was an incredible football match. Looking forward to that again next season 

I know competitive football is great. 

The Premier League is that at the highest level (UK obviously).

The issue l, and many others have is that it's become sanitised, a cash cow for the rich, has no connection with the true football fan, is STILL geared up to the 'Big 6', plus Newcastle. 

Whenever, generally one of the bigger clubs loses to a 'lesser' club, it's 'Arsenal were so poor, why is that ?' 

Rarely is praise given to the upstarts. 

Personally I'd rather they all joined The European Super League & live in their ivory towers.

The Premier League has become tedious & tired. 

Edited by STEVIE B

15 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

I know competitive football is great. 

The Premier League is that at the highest level (UK obviously).

The issue l, and many others have is that it's become sanitised, a cash cow for the rich, has no connection with the true football fan, is STILL geared up to the 'Big 6', plus Newcastle. 

Whenever, generally one of the bigger clubs loses to a 'lesser' club, it's 'Arsenal were so poor, why is that ?' 

Rarely is praise given to the upstarts. 

Personally I'd rather they all joined The European Super League & live in their ivory towers.

The Premier League has become tedious & tired. 

I know that’s the template football fan response but I just don’t see it. Two of the big 6 (Man U and Chelsea) are slapped around every week. The richest club in the world (Newcastle) got beaten in a back garden in north London yday. Villa were minutes away from being top at Xmas. 
It’s an unpredictable league (shown by my acca losing every Saturday..) with thrilling matches every week. If you think it’s tedious and tired I wouldn’t know how to convince you, so fair enough! 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

They give off Arsenal fan vibes from the season we won the league.

The amount of 'Team of the season' teams with 4 or more Leeds players in the squad, and comments of how they're the leagues best team is absurb.. they're 13 points behind us.

I reckon they'll pip Southampton to 2nd, but it would be fantastic to see them miss out and struggle 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I know that’s the template football fan response but I just don’t see it. Two of the big 6 (Man U and Chelsea) are slapped around every week. The richest club in the world (Newcastle) got beaten in a back garden in north London yday. Villa were minutes away from being top at Xmas. 
It’s an unpredictable league (shown by my acca losing every Saturday..) with thrilling matches every week. If you think it’s tedious and tired I wouldn’t know how to convince you, so fair enough! 

Made me laugh.. gone are the days of winning an acca every other week ey.. I've not had a winner in ages 

• Thanks 1