Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Oh Cov, quite funny when they were boasting about a sell out. Aye yeah a sell out when a fair few season ticket holders don’t bother 

Just to say though a lot of Wednesday fans said their support was superb. Our away end is going to be so Forest Cup that day 

20 hours ago, The Bear said:

I've seen plenty of Leicester fans on here say they love having no VAR but I bet a few are wishing they did tonight.

Absolutely robbed of a pen and Ipswich down to 10 men. Would have been game over after scoring that. 

Meh, take it on the chin.

1 controversy every few games (if that) or several controversies in most games :dunno: 

Would/Should have been game over if we'd had some attacking impetus and gone for the jugular.

54 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

i know it was a clear pen last night, but i'd still absolutely still take having no VAR. 

Yeah, absolutely.

VAR awards Sunderland a penalty, gives Rotherham's goal at their place.

Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Oh Cov, quite funny when they were boasting about a sell out. Aye yeah a sell out when a fair few season ticket holders don’t bother 

This is what these clubs cling on to.  Sheffield Wednesday have become so tinpot. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Ignoring the decisions we'd lose or gain. 

I enjoy the fact the game isn't stopped and started continuously.

Not to mention all of the other decisions that we’d lose or gain when VAR gets it wrong as it does so often in the Prem… we could have also been made to wait for 3-4 minutes only for the VAR to uphold the ref’s call on the KDH play last night which would have just been doubly worse.

I’m with you that I’d gladly take the trade that comes with giving up VAR.

14 minutes ago, Koke said:

This is what these clubs cling on to.  Sheffield Wednesday have become so tinpot. 

Always been tinpot. Regular third division club in the 70s 80s and 2000s. Only ever been in the top division for around 8 seasons in the last 50. 

They got the reflected glory of a bigger club perception courtesy of the stadium being used for FA Cup semis - but that's long since gone

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

One of the most popular threads on skybluestalk is about away attendance’s and how they rank against others

These clubs are genuinely obsessed with this nonsense 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Ignoring the decisions we'd lose or gain. 

I enjoy the fact the game isn't stopped and started continuously.

It is a relief not to have that anxiety when we score that the VAR lot will not interfere with the decision.

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Video and technology isn't the issues it the way its used.

Works in Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, football is to arrogant to learn of others.

Football is far more down to interpretation. The others are generally looking for something that is a black and white decision.

Whilst thats the case, we will continue to see the overanalysis and micro management of games that consistently takes momentum and enjoyment out of the game.

My greatest frustration is pitch side screens. A professional referee with several camera angles should be able to make the call without having to justify himself to the onfield ref.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Video and technology isn't the issues it the way its used.

Works in Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, football is to arrogant to learn off others.

I think the mistake they made was letting VAR make decisions rather than just verifying the ref's decision.

Not sure about the sports you mention, but in baseball the officials make a call and if the review can't prove it to be otherwise the decision on the field stands.  In football, it's a case of 'don't raise your flag' we'll make the decision - and nobody wants that.

If they just had on field decisions and VAR has say 30 seconds to review an offside (no lines), 60 seconds for a penalty, and if it can't see anything incorrect in that time, ref's decisions stands. easy.

Edited by Lillehamring
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Football is far more down to interpretation. The others are generally looking for something that is a black and white decision.

Whilst thats the case, we will continue to see the overanalysis and micro management of games that consistently takes momentum and enjoyment out of the game.

My greatest frustration is pitch side screens. A professional referee with several camera angles should be able to make the call without having to justify himself to the onfield ref.

No, I think the original comment has a point about how football has completely ignored other sports use of technology.

See what Tennis, Cricket and the American sports have done well has put the onus of using technology on the teams / players by getting them to decide when they want to review calls - with some exceptions.

I’ve always felt the challenge system was the much better way to go for football.

But even if that wasn’t the way football wanted to go, they’ve not even learned from Rugby where it is the match official on the field of play that refers decisions to the TMO.

VAR takes control away from the referee and often leaves them stood like a lemon whilst they run through replays. 

I’d much rather it be a case of the referee instigating the check, highlighting a specific aspect they want checked. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

No, I think the original comment has a point about how football has completely ignored other sports use of technology.

See what Tennis, Cricket and the American sports have done well has put the onus of using technology on the teams / players by getting them to decide when they want to review calls - with some exceptions.

I’ve always felt the challenge system was the much better way to go for football.

But even if that wasn’t the way football wanted to go, they’ve not even learned from Rugby where it is the match official on the field of play that refers decisions to the TMO.

VAR takes control away from the referee and often leaves them stood like a lemon whilst they run through replays. 

I’d much rather it be a case of the referee instigating the check, highlighting a specific aspect they want checked. 

Ahh yeah, fair play if I have. I totally agree, the way it's implemented right now is horrific. Feels like cus it costs so much, they want to justify the price tag by being involved as much as they can.

Your last point is one I've mentioned quite a lot. It'd be good if the ref could just go "I thought this happened and that's why I did/didn't give the decision, can you confirm if I saw it correctly?"

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Rugby is very similar to football, lots is down to interpretation.

I agree it gone to far and need to be pull back a bit.

I agree, its pointless.

• Like 1