Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

I saw some wage figures this morning for each Premier League clubs highest earner.

Scary that we have quite a few players that exceed a lot of them, when you think we still have the likes of Vardy, Daka, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Ricardo, Vestergaard, Praet etc all on £60k , Vardy still over £100k! 

Sheff U - Brewster - £35k per week

Burnley - Brownhill / Cork - £45k per week

Luton - Lokinga - £50k per week. 

Bournemouth - Kluivert - £80k per week.

Brentford - Mee - £55k per week.

Crystal Palace - Henderson / Olise - £100k per week. 

Fulham - Jimenez - £100k per week. 

Wolves - Sarabia - £90k per week.

Forest - Origi - £120k per week. 

A stark reminder that with the wages we are paying, should we clear them off the books in the summer, we’ll have room to play with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

They are one step forwards and two steps back because whenever they have found a formula that could work, they self destruct (see removing Rowett for Zola when they were in the play off positions a few years back).

Sorry but Rooney taking them from in the play off positions to close to the relegation positions is fact. Eustace not maintaining what he started is pure speculation. The likelihood is probably somewhere between. Yes they may have dropped off somewhat from their start but almost certainly nowhere near to the extent they have done. Which circles back to the point of Rooney being an awful appointment.

Does it mean Rooney will never make a successful manager anywhere? Not necessarily. But clearly it was an awful call from Birmingham which they have form for.

I don't disagree with your first and last paragraph. They were 6th after 11 games when he took over, a whole 3pts above 15th. Bit of an exaggerated comparison sure, but if someone pinched Rob Edwards from Luton after 6 games and they were top half, does it mean their new manager is doing a bad job when they inevitably slip towards the drop zone by Christmas? Not saying Birmingham made the right call, not saying he hasn't done a poor job so far, but right now they sit where they have done for years because they're one of these sides that are due a relegation to come back stronger, like ourselves in 2008 and a few others (Southampton, Ipswich). And generally when I see his name mentioned in the news/social media, the rhetoric is that he has destroyed a well run club with play off potential which is just false. 

9 hours ago, Stinkenzo said:

The Rooney is a fraud bandwagon is a bit tiring. While his record with the club so far is obviously poor, this whole "they were 5th when the took over" is so wide of the mark. They have been near-relegation fodder but atleast a handful of years now. They have slipped to where they should be. Eustace started the season well but more than likely wouldn't have maintained it. Not arguing their decision to get rid was madness though. 

it is based on facts atm, hes been at Derby DC United and now Birmingham, done a piss poor job at all of them;

think only reason he was sort of alright at Derby was he had Liam Rosenior as assistant; 

hes purely got the job cos his name is Wayne Rooney; thats it imo

dont get me wrong, he was an incredible player, and if he worked his way up the managerial ladder then i dont think theyd be so much of a hes a fraud blah blah going on

see Birmingham are "considering" a move for Steve Cooper if they can get him

Edited by FrankieADZ
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

it is based on facts atm, hes been at Derby DC United and now Birmingham, done a piss poor job at all of them;

think only reason he was sort of alright at Derby was he had Liam Rosenior as assistant; 

dont get me wrong, he was an incredible player, and if he worked his way up the managerial ladder then i dont think theyd be so much of a hes a fraud blah blah going on

You know you're firmly on the bandwagon of believing what social media tells you to believe when you say the job he did at Derby was piss poor. Have absolutely no idea about how he did in the MLS but it's always struck me as a league which swings a lot of the time anyway, that no team has a real place in the table whereas here the top half usually writes itself. 

I go back to Gerrard's achievements at Rangers being totally disregarded because the real brains of the operation was supposedly his assistant. Same guy that got sacked within a year when he finally got into the hotseat. Swear I've had this conversation on here before but it seems to be that this newer breed of English managers (recently retired "top top players") are held to higher standards, and any achievement of theirs is said to be down to somebody else. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I saw some wage figures this morning for each Premier League clubs highest earner.

Scary that we have quite a few players that exceed a lot of them, when you think we still have the likes of Vardy, Daka, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Ricardo, Vestergaard, Praet etc all on £60k , Vardy still over £100k! 

A stark reminder that with the wages we are paying, should we clear them off the books in the summer, we’ll have room to play with. 

vardy won’t be on over 100k a week in the championship, he had a 35-50% relegation wage reduction clause in his contract, which the whole squad had 

19 minutes ago, Stinkenzo said:

You know you're firmly on the bandwagon of believing what social media tells you to believe when you say the job he did at Derby was piss poor. Have absolutely no idea about how he did in the MLS but it's always struck me as a league which swings a lot of the time anyway, that no team has a real place in the table whereas here the top half usually writes itself. 

I go back to Gerrard's achievements at Rangers being totally disregarded because the real brains of the operation was supposedly his assistant. Same guy that got sacked within a year when he finally got into the hotseat. Swear I've had this conversation on here before but it seems to be that this newer breed of English managers (recently retired "top top players") are held to higher standards, and any achievement of theirs is said to be down to somebody else. 

also im not in that social media thing telling me, he did as well as he could have at the time all things considered at derby 

guess you didnt see the part where i said he did sort of alright at Derby then, also you dont know much about MLS then......his win rate there was just over 25%

so aint that pot calling kettle

the main gripe with some of these "top players" is them getting the job purely on name and not via managerial ability, while some of it is a leap of faith by owners/clubs, and they do well, some either sink or the swim.

think the best way for these players to cut their teeth as a head coach would be U18/21s then work their way up, learn instead of jumping in, if Rooney had done that i think he'd be fair a little better

on assistants, its a so so thing, Rosenior atm looks to be the better head coach for me, but time will tell

think if Rooney had cut his teeth lower down and prove himself etc there wouldnt be so much of a gripe

Edited by FrankieADZ

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Will there ever be a point at which being famous and white is not a shoe-in to jobs regardless of the fact they’re completely incompetent?

Really agree with your post in terms of being famous, but his race has nothing to do with this situation... 

no black person ever got a job because he was famous?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

also im not in that social media thing telling me, he did as well as he could have at the time all things considered at derby 

guess you didnt see the part where i said he did sort of alright at Derby then, also you dont know much about MLS then......his win rate there was just over 25%

so aint that pot calling kettle

the main gripe with some of these "top players" is them getting the job purely on name and not via managerial ability, while some of it is a leap of faith by owners/clubs, and they do well, some either sink or the swim.

think the best way for these players to cut their teeth as a head coach would be U18/21s then work their way up, learn instead of jumping in, if Rooney had done that i think he'd be fair a little better

on assistants, its a so so thing, Rosenior atm looks to be the better head coach for me, but time will tell

think if Rooney had cut his teeth lower down and prove himself etc there wouldnt be so much of a gripe

I did see the "did sort of alright" comment which is still a disservice lol hence the rant about Gerrard/Beale underneath lol

Where does this mythical managerial ladder begin then, what level? Arteta started at Arsenal no? Pep managed Barca reserves for a year albeit I guess in the 2nd tier? Carrick straight in at Boro probably the fairest comparison? Sure some float some sink. It shouldn't really affect their day job, but Rooney/Gerrard/Lampard were a level above Carrick as a player, and there is definitely more demand to succeed and clamour from the media on those names to the extent where their clubs are renamed "Wayne Rooney's Birmingham City" etc. Carrick goes well under the radar, you wouldn't know Boro had a shocking start to this season unless you're a fan of a side in this league because the media aren't arsed. Not only was Rooney a poor choice for Birmingham but also Birmingham was a poor choice for Rooney because they've been a dirty stain to this league for a number of years. They need a Nigel Pearson character. 

Arteta and Pep are obviously good managers but at the same time it's hard to fail at clubs with their finances and infrastructure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sycokilla said:

Really agree with your post in terms of being famous, but his race has nothing to do with this situation... 

no black person ever got a job because he was famous?

I have no intention of having.a protracted debate about this. I'm just going to suggest you check out the ridiculous imbalance with the racial profile of managers in the English game. There is absolutely no question that racism plays a part in appointments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

vardy won’t be on over 100k a week in the championship, he had a 35-50% relegation wage reduction clause in his contract, which the whole squad had 

I don't get how people must have read this 40-50 times and still can't fathom it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

The next club for American investment?

Not much else been said but seems the club are in talks regarding a minority stake for now.

Many fans would like to see a change but American owners do have a very mixed record in this country!

https://twitter.com/AdamLeventhal/status/1740680023944941669

They're the worst thing to happen to the sport imo. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sly said:

We were a team chasing top 4-6, hence the hig spread. A few top earners left. 

So normal not scary.. 

Plus if we get promoted, some low to middle earners within that now solid backbone of earners, like Choudhury, Ricardo, Vestergaard, Faes, 

The wanna stay -Wanna-keep.. 

DAKA, Ndidi, Mavididi, Fatawu, Winks, Justin, might look for squad bonuses or tweaks on their wages... 

It's never so black n white...

I HAS A Fan, even /especially with seasons calculations we had from going into Admin, then those between years before then after promotion never, ever wanted to play Paymaster. 

Le the payed experts worry about that. 

Football despite an abundance of  successfull businessman- owners & experts have always messed up and missed catastrophically their marks. 

FFP morally corrupt, with No hard checkpoints.. 

Germany leads a near perfect example of the positivity of running a football Association.. but there are also loop holes, though bad boys are seen&' caught quicker more often. 

4 hours ago, Sly said:

As already mentioned would imagine our players have had their premier league wages cut.

but addressing your over riding point none of those clubs have been where we have been & therefore have not had to ‘reward’ as much as we have.

Yet 5 of those clubs which are generally classed as clubs which will probably end up in a relegation battle still have players on wages ranging from £80-120k per week 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

Three months into Rooney's 3-1/2 year, five million pound contract ... ?

If that report is accurate, that's a lot of money to burn in this division.  BCFC's last reported annual revenues were only £17.5M.

These guys see those £££ "when" a club is promoted and don't even realize it's an "if" ... and a long shot at that ... and a near-impossibility if novices are calling the shots on the football side.

5 hours ago, Sly said:

They paid origi 120k a week 🤣

37 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

As already mentioned would imagine our players have had their premier league wages cut.

but addressing your over riding point none of those clubs have been where we have been & therefore have not had to ‘reward’ as much as we have.

Yet 5 of those clubs which are generally classed as clubs which will probably end up in a relegation battle still have players on wages ranging from £80-120k per week 🤷‍♂️ 

Indeed. We'd infiltrated the top 6 and were playing in European competitions, that needed reward and wages to attract players.

No one on that list is top 10 and are going anywhere near Europe, except on their summer hols.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stinkenzo said:

I did see the "did sort of alright" comment which is still a disservice lol hence the rant about Gerrard/Beale underneath lol

Where does this mythical managerial ladder begin then, what level? Arteta started at Arsenal no? Pep managed Barca reserves for a year albeit I guess in the 2nd tier? Carrick straight in at Boro probably the fairest comparison? Sure some float some sink. It shouldn't really affect their day job, but Rooney/Gerrard/Lampard were a level above Carrick as a player, and there is definitely more demand to succeed and clamour from the media on those names to the extent where their clubs are renamed "Wayne Rooney's Birmingham City" etc. Carrick goes well under the radar, you wouldn't know Boro had a shocking start to this season unless you're a fan of a side in this league because the media aren't arsed. Not only was Rooney a poor choice for Birmingham but also Birmingham was a poor choice for Rooney because they've been a dirty stain to this league for a number of years. They need a Nigel Pearson character. 

Arteta and Pep are obviously good managers but at the same time it's hard to fail at clubs with their finances and infrastructure. 

true,

why i said some swim and some sink in terms of head coach into a high level straight the way,  one difference between Pep, Arteta and Carrick(compared to Rooney per say) all were coaches or had some experience in that field before going onto be managers/head coaches; 

think the true test would be to see how rooney would fair with a full pre-season  etc 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

When I watched one of the last Birmingham games one of the commentators said that Rooney normally lets his assistants run the practises.  I found that a touch bizarre !!

• Like 1

There's no reason to hold the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney or even Carrick to higher standards because they achieved more or played at a higher level as players. Look back down the years, top players so very rarely become top managers. All the players that Ferguson brought through at United have either bombed or just not gone onto be managers at all. Hughes, Ince, Pallister the Nevilles. You could say Bruce has done okay at a push and Giggs was doing okay with Wales. TV pundits like Shearer, Wright, Carragher, even Keane have never had any real joy as managers or coaches. Even most of the top foreign managers were average players - Klopp, Mourinho, Wenger to name 3.

So often they get thrown into the hot seat at various clubs usually by starry-eyed owners looking for an easy-in with the fans and it's just not that simple. We had it recently here when there was an opinion John Terry could sort out our leaky defence and the 40+ set pieces we conceded would suddenly go back to being magically headed away and cleared instead. Go further back and I'm sure Vichai wasn't expecting Sven to achieve 9th with a sizeable hole in his transfer budget. Having a name doesn't mean a thing, sometimes I'm pretty sure it actually leads to the opposite. Certain coaches through their humble careers just have that gift. They werent the loudest in the dressing room or even the most gifted but they know what to do and what to say and with a group of players that were their "level" in terms of talent they just know how to get the best from them. The classic in this division is McKenna.

Every top player needs to cut their teeth somewhere as a coach but I'd suggest Championship clubs desperate to be amongst the big men with a plan no longer than 6 months into the future probably isn't it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

When I watched one of the last Birmingham games one of the commentators said that Rooney normally lets his assistants run the practises.  I found that a touch bizarre !!

See Martin O'Neill for details. Famously only came in for the Friday session unless there was major work to be done after a defeat or poor run.

58 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Standard Harry Redknapp methodology. 

They are about the same mental capacity.