Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

36 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I don’t think Farke is ‘completely failing’ there. Up until last weekend, they had points to games that would normally be top (and Southampton also). It was us and Ipswich setting the 2 best ever starts that meant they were both outside the top 2. So you could argue he was doing a job that would normally be enough to be top 2. 

Leeds fans loved saying this, but it's the biggest myth going as they never actually reached an average ppg enough for top 2, always just hovering below 2 ppg (worse now). Southampton have only reached that ppg in the last week. 

Here's someone doing the math on the Southampton forum recently when Southampton/Leeds were on a good run of form, both with 42 points from 22 games - concluding it would normally only be enough for 3rd. 

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60557-a-comparison-to-previous-championship-seasons-after-22-games/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I don’t think Farke is ‘completely failing’ there. Up until last weekend, they had points to games that would normally be top (and Southampton also). It was us and Ipswich setting the 2 best ever starts that meant they were both outside the top 2. So you could argue he was doing a job that would normally be enough to be top 2. 

That said, should the squad he has have been better than that sort of points total regardless? Maybe.

And the last week has shown why they won’t do it. Quite literally one step forward, two back. On balance, probably now underperforming.

Good for us that they have fallen away though. At 17 points plus superior goal difference, you really can’t see them catching us in any scenario now. 

They're sitting 4th, their current form is not even good for a playoff spot and they're the best team ever to land on Championship. In my eyes he's failing big time and Mythbusters are ready for a special Leeds episode. 

53 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

They're sitting 4th, their current form is not even good for a playoff spot and they're the best team ever to land on Championship. In my eyes he's failing big time and Mythbusters are ready for a special Leeds episode. 

As I say, I’d prefer to see it as Leeds are so far off the pace due to ours (and Ipswich’s) achievements rather than because Leeds have been awful. 

No doubt they haven’t been great, but until this last week were not far off the ‘normal pace’.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Leeds fans loved saying this, but it's the biggest myth going as they never actually reached an average ppg enough for top 2, always just hovering below 2 ppg (worse now). Southampton have only reached that ppg in the last week. 

Here's someone doing the math on the Southampton forum recently when Southampton/Leeds were on a good run of form, both with 42 points from 22 games - concluding it would normally only be enough for 3rd. 

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60557-a-comparison-to-previous-championship-seasons-after-22-games/

As of a week or so back, the table from last year at least, showed that after the equivalent games, the top 4 last season were on about the same points as 3rd-6th this season, due to Ipswich and ourselves running away with it. Obviously Ipswich have dropped off and Leeds have last back to back so that has changed but that is what I was referring to.

Basically, as I said in reply above, I would prefer to see it as us and Ipswich having set such an unprecedented start each, that teams like Leeds and Southampton’s positions look worse than normal.

Also, this forum has a tendency to make everything either amazing or awful and no balance in between. I’m not saying they or the job he’s done has been amazing, good or even average. I said it’s been underwhelming and underperforming but just not to the point of being ‘completely hopeless’. And I stand by that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

As of a week or so back, the table from last year at least, showed that after the equivalent games, the top 4 last season were on about the same points as 3rd-6th this season, due to Ipswich and ourselves running away with it. Obviously Ipswich have dropped off and Leeds have last back to back so that has changed but that is what I was referring to.

Basically, as I said in reply above, I would prefer to see it as us and Ipswich having set such an unprecedented start each, that teams like Leeds and Southampton’s positions look worse than normal.

Also, this forum has a tendency to make everything either amazing or awful and no balance in between. I’m not saying they or the job he’s done has been amazing, good or even average. I said it’s been underwhelming and underperforming but just not to the point of being ‘completely hopeless’. And I stand by that.

I think you’re right.

2 points a game is normal automatic promotion form. Leeds would have 50 if that were the case this season, but would still be 4th. Before the last two games they’d almost be a model of (normal) form required.

Unfortunately for them, and the rest of the division, we’re currently averaging 2.48 points per game. We’re the outlier - not them 

11 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Farke taking Leeds up would be great because that's bottom spot sorted next season. I also think Ipswich go back down. 

Ipswich would get battered in the premier league. Ironically it would be very Norwich looking 

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Looks like Ipswich's luck is running out. That being said a stonewall handball penalty wasn't given for QPR last night so the streak continues.

There were 2 strong QPR penalty shouts, the push in the back and the handball.

27 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

People thought Luton would be finished before a ball was kicked, they might stay up, thinking things are a dead cert in football can often leave you with egg on your face.

I actually didn’t think this about Luton. Their strength and physical attributes make them a tough match up for anyone. 

Ipswich aren’t that and they can’t keep the ball well. They are looking good as a running team against a very poor Championship. They would get well beaten each week in the Prem. Hoping they come up now so we can see this in its glory. 

28 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

People thought Luton would be finished before a ball was kicked, they might stay up, thinking things are a dead cert in football can often leave you with egg on your face.

Luton seem to be very unlucky in a good few games and not clinical enough. Hopefully they can swap places with Forest. 

Like memes of HMS P1ss the League after a couple of weeks :ph34r: