Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

18 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Ipswich will get relegated so I'd imagine McKenna will drop to at least number 3 on that list at that point.

Ipswich could easily be in contention for a playoff spot !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

there were a couple of all championship friendlies today. middlesborough beat rotherham 2-0 and Ipswich beat preston 2-1… George Hirst with the winner 👀

We are teams from the same division next season, playing each other in friendlies. I thought part of the selling point for fans for pre-season is to play teams you don't normally play.

19 hours ago, Matt said:

NP at 22nd makes a complete mockery of it before we even start.

Forgot about Ainsworth and his battered leather jacket making an appearance at the KP.

On 19/07/2023 at 21:42, Sampson said:

Let’s be honest Maresca could be bottom of that list for all we know. He’s essentially unproven. Complaining he’s not at the top

seems weird to me. Though Pearson being 22nd is clearly silly. He built what is a strong nomination for the best Championship side of all time in 2013-14.

Problem is the list is based on the latest in vogue managers, hence why Carrick is so high after 1 good season (which ultimately still failed in its promotion bid) while long standing, proven very good Championship stalwarts like Mowbray are way too low.

Remember when everyone was raving about Sean O’Driscoll being the best and most exciting manager in the Championship when he was at Doncaster? Or when Gus Poyet got so overhyped for doing a pretty average job by finishing 8th in the Championship at Brighton who spent quite a lot that he somehow landed a PL job way above his ceiling at Sunderland? It happens, there’s nothing exciting about an experienced manager so people like to look for the latest in vogue manager

Erm….

2 more big wins for bristol city. I have a feeling pearson is cooking something. 

Split the teams in 2 one beat oxford 4-1 while the other beat newport 8-0… pre-season or not… something is going right. The goals seem to be flowing

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

2 more big wins for bristol city. I have a feeling pearson is cooking something. 

Split the teams in 2 one beat oxford 4-1 while the other beat newport 8-0… pre-season or not… something is going right. The goals seem to be flowing

Stop it. Don't tempt fate. There is a crazy amount of optimism round here at the moment that this could be a special season, Bristol City will genuinely be in the mix, Tommy Conway will be Champs top goalscorer etc etc etc.

That's not the Bristol City way and I'm sure doom and gloom will set in once more after they lose their first game of the season 1-0 at home to Preston!

4 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Stop it. Don't tempt fate. There is a crazy amount of optimism round here at the moment that this could be a special season, Bristol City will genuinely be in the mix, Tommy Conway will be Champs top goalscorer etc etc etc.

That's not the Bristol City way and I'm sure doom and gloom will set in once more after they lose their first game of the season 1-0 at home to Preston!

what’s changed over pre-season? Is there a difference in style or is the pearson build slowly just clicking together. 

I think you have every reason for optimism… i don’t think i could ever see us scoring 8 against a league 2 team with our current group

4 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

How's Cornick doing? 

15 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

what’s changed over pre-season? Is there a difference in style or is the pearson build slowly just clicking together. 

I think you have every reason for optimism… i don’t think i could ever see us scoring 8 against a league 2 team with our current group

The Pearson build is slowly clicking, he always said it would take 3 full seasons as the club was broken when he took over.

Tbh the optimism comes from some of the football they were playing 2nd half of last season, which was lovely to watch, except they couldn't put the ball in the net.

That last bit of the jigsaw seems to clicking into place preseason,  but doesn't mean it will translate into the proper season itself.

Tommy Conway being injured for a lot of last season didn't help as the kid is a natural goalscorer.

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How's Cornick doing? 

Juries out. Still not sure what sort of player he is / what is his best position. Looked very poor until last few games last season, when things started to click abit more.

I'd see him more of a squad player than a regular starter tbh.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Ismaila Sarr going from Watford to Marseille from the looks of things. What’s the expectations for the season @Super_horns

Not particularly high but maybe we will use some of the money to get a few players in.

TBH most won’t miss Sarr - many feel he hasn’t really produced his best in the last 2 seasons and is out of contract next summer so 15-20 million will be better than nothing .

• Like 2