Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

I don't disagree Palace are probably one of the last clubs anyone would name when asked to list all PL clubs, but I don't think their managers job is that unappealing. Some good youngsters, seemingly a good eye for talent but above all very much a Premier League club who haven't been involved in a relegation battle (or anything, admittedly) for as long as I can remember. There is definitely potential to build something a la Brighton with the right backing/support

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

I was expecting him to sound like a right knob from what I'd read on here. Just sounded like an honest down to earth interview to me, not sure where anyone can find fault in that. 

Was expecting it to be an absolute cringe fest but it's one of the better pressers I've listened to.

• Like 2

The football that Cooper plays is absolute atrocious tbh, Forest were absolutely rancid to watch last season and most of this year. Seems a bit of a change from a supposedly 'modern' expansive style under Rooney. In a way he should have been give more time, it was either a project or not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stinkenzo said:

I don't disagree Palace are probably one of the last clubs anyone would name when asked to list all PL clubs, but I don't think their managers job is that unappealing. Some good youngsters, seemingly a good eye for talent but above all very much a Premier League club who haven't been involved in a relegation battle (or anything, admittedly) for as long as I can remember. There is definitely potential to build something a la Brighton with the right backing/support

I was doing a quiz on a coach journey a few years ago.  My teammate was former Leicester player Steve Wilkinson.  One question was about PL teams from London.  We tried listing the whole division to find the London teams.  We got 19 out of 20 - the missing one was Palace, so you're absolutely correct!

• Haha 4

Rooney was always a crap choice. I don't think Eustace was quite as good as made out but Birmingham should not be 20th. 

Rooney isn't going to be a top level manager and it made little sense to appoint him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I really don't see much to be offended by - he's got a bit of a manner about him which isn't my cup of tea but for me, nothing to see here.

he’s just very brendan imo. Sounds decent when things are going well but when things are going wrong turns into a clown. 

I don’t think he’s doing particularly well, or poorly. He has a great squad so im left a little unsure on how he’s doing. 

2 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

It looks like Cooper doesn't have any confidence or ambition. Why take a job there? Is it just money? Unlikely, unless the wages are really really high which I doubt. 

Maybe he doesn't want to move home.

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I read some of it on sky last night and it immediately riled me. Don't think there's another manager in football who I dislike more than Russell Martin. 

He has a similar persona and arrogance to Rodgers. Very easy to dislike.

I would be appalled if we ever came close to being interested in appointing him as our manager.

1 hour ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

The Palace job is also not an attractive one. It's the "happy we exist in PL" team. Idk if Cooper is rated high as a manager. If this is the case he can wait for some other jobs to become available in PL (Newcastle, ManUtd, Chelsea). A lot of stupid owners around to offer jobs. 

1 hour ago, Death by Football said:

I don't think he's rated highly enough to get any of those jobs.  They all need a bigger name.

Wayne Rooney is one of the big names currently available. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I really don't see much to be offended by - he's got a bit of a manner about him which isn't my cup of tea but for me, nothing to see here.

He is just from the South, sounds a bit Essex too me even though he is from Brighton, so guess he just has a generic Southern mode of speech* maybe a bit overly defensive or indignant, but not much to see here. :dunno:

* excluding South West

Edited by Dahnsouff

5 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

I think Gerrard could be ok he has a bit about him, Rooney no idea why he even went into management imagine listening to him telling you what to do.

It would be wise for these players to at least go in as assistant first like Terry

I think the money far outweighs all the criticism they get.

I imagine Rooney has developed a very thick skin throughout his career.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Totally agree. Watched it, waited for the controversial / arrogant comment to come, but it never did. He was a bit snappy but then Lord Pearson wasn't exactly patient with reporters. Nothing out of the ordinary here as far as I can see.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Oh dear, the granny shagging ogre sacked again.

The likes of Rooney, Lampard & Gerrard should really just sit back and enjoy retirement rather than embarrassing themselves with these attempts at management.

In a way it's not really their fault - they were all started in jobs way too far up the career ladder - that said, føkk 'em, they didn't have to take those jobs!

• Like 2

Birmingham may take a foreign route now for their next appointment.... Paulo Sousa big return to English football :yesyes: Jesse Marsch could be serious contended due to american connection with the owners.

Rooney I reckon will had back to the united states for a management job.

Just now, Leicesterpool said:

Birmingham may take a foreign route now for their next appointment.... Paulo Sousa big return to English football :yesyes: Jesse Marsch could be serious contended due to american connection with the owners.

You were suggesting Rowett earlier lol

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

he’s just very brendan imo. Sounds decent when things are going well but when things are going wrong turns into a clown. 

I don’t think he’s doing particularly well, or poorly. He has a great squad so im left a little unsure on how he’s doing. 

I think that’s true of all football managers though to some extent. When everything is going well we hang on their every word. If not then everything they say is dismissed as BS. 

I think RM has a bit of a “blokey, look at me” style that doesn’t appeal to me, but at least he was honest, which is something we don’t always get. Brendan Rodgers, for example, always sounded a bit like a sketch show cliche in all his press conference debriefs and never really approached anything that sounded like an honest appraisal 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

You were suggesting Rowett earlier lol

He's still possible, considering the Rooney appointment was a disaster I think the Birmingham board will wanna get the fans back on side with a huge appointment. Rowett due to the fact he was popular prior.  

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Rooney was always a crap choice. I don't think Eustace was quite as good as made out but Birmingham should not be 20th. 

Rooney isn't going to be a top level manager and it made little sense to appoint him.

Couldn't agree more. Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Giggs have not got what it takes to be a top coach - never mind a elite manager. 

It's one thing using your experience to be able to tell what's happening in a game. An other thing entirely to be able to do something to change and affect what is happening. 

Stick to punditry, lads.

19 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

How about Nantucket. Massachusetts is nice I hear... he likes Nans and tucket is close enough.

Edited by weller54

Hypothetical Question:

If we sacked Enzo today and replaced him with Rooney; could he get us promoted? 

I just don’t know, is it even possible to fail from where we are now? But then Rooney is quite bad? 

1 minute ago, Phube said:

Hypothetical Question:

If we sacked Enzo today and replaced him with Rooney; could he get us promoted? 

I just don’t know, is it even possible to fail from where we are now? But then Rooney is quite bad? 

Not even going there. 

Southampton and Leeds need to get promoted with us. We all make the Premier League so much more attractive. As Mourinho said, it's football heritage.