Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

7 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I see Ryan Fraser has said this week that Southampton are coming for us…..  Mind you, we do have  previous of p@$ing away healthy leads under the Dwarf.

This is usually the time of year Ryan Fraser stops bothering being a footballer so that'll be interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Leeds letting Luke Ayling go out on loan for the last 6mths of his contract & especially to Boro seems a weird 1. He always struck me as a Leeds through & through player, loves the club fans love him, always delivered for them, non stop running etc etc & was Captain for the majority of the games he played before being benched, you wonder if there were words spoken between him & Farke.
Ok he's 32 & did lose his place to young Archie Gray but then it was him or Spence & given the reports on Spence you'd think Ayling would be 1st choice backup & the fact they have wobbled recently you'd want that experience around the place a little like we are doing with Sharkey.

Just seems a strange 1

Are they making space for January signings? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mozartfox said:

I see Ryan Fraser has said this week that Southampton are coming for us…..  Mind you, we do have  previous of p@$ing away healthy leads under the Dwarf.

8 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Southampton are in great form but, unfortunately for them, it’s been largely irrelevant to us so far. As you suggest the only real danger to us is our own form collapsing 

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

This is usually the time of year Ryan Fraser stops bothering being a footballer so that'll be interesting.

13 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Southampton are quickly becoming the team I want to see fail, didn't really care about them before but the manager is an arrogant **** and now Fraser piping up. Focus on yourselves lads, we are fine up here!

Must be pretty demoralising to be a Southampton player. 

They just put together an amazing run of 18 games unbeaten, taking 42 points. 

Only problem is, Leicester took 44 points in the same run of games, despite losing twice and Southampton find themselves 13 points behind... 

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Are they making space for January signings? 

I don't believe so & i'd imagine they are in the same boat as us with finances seeing as they have already loaned out a lot of big hitters prior to the season starting. Would seem odd to get rid of your captain & a steady & experienced player at this stage of the season.
Farke has just said he doesn't expect to be busy as usually players who are available in january are young, not getting games or coming back from injury & these players don't tend to strengthen your starting options.
I guess Ayling could have asked to go out to get more playing time but Leeds have a young squad with a very little in the way of battled experience so you wouldn't have thought they would agree. Archie Gray is actually a midfielder playing RB there now isn't any backup with transfers & injurys, they also have a major issue with injures to their LBs..still all good for us i guess.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Southampton are quickly becoming the team I want to see fail, didn't really care about them before but the manager is an arrogant **** and now Fraser piping up. Focus on yourselves lads, we are fine up here!

I don’t mind the Fraser comments. I may be misinterpreting them but the way I see it, if they are taking the view and have the confidence and ambition of they are coming for us, the worst case for them is they probably come second which they’d take right now.

If they are taking the mindset of being involved with a fight for second with Leeds and Ipswich, mentally, there’s more chance they fall short.

Thats how I see it. Managers a nob though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

I don’t mind the Fraser comments. I may be misinterpreting them but the way I see it, if they are taking the view and have the confidence and ambition of they are coming for us, the worst case for them is they probably come second which they’d take right now.

If they are taking the mindset of being involved with a fight for second with Leeds and Ipswich, mentally, there’s more chance they fall short.

Thats how I see it. Managers a nob though.

I agree. I read it as if they aim for us, the points come and they swallow Ipswich up. 

12 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I agree. I read it as if they aim for us, the points come and they swallow Ipswich up. 

Exactly.

It’s completely different to Spurs in 2016 where their ‘we’re coming for you’ was born from arrogance that they were entitled to the title.

That won’t be the case with Southampton. They will know we are better than them, maybe not to the extent of the current points gap but definitely better. 

This half of the season is down to the mentality of the players. The system is good,  tactics are good. Surely the players must have that feeling of nothing but champions is shit. We have a manager who the players have bought into and is brilliant at analysing opponents. Sets up right , changes things when needed mid game. Only complacency could  derail us. Can't see enzo allowing that. 

• Like 1

I saw a comment on the Saints Forum about us potentially breaching FFP 😂 

Are they serious? 

Not doing an Everton is partially why we are in this bloody division! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Are they serious? 

Wishful thinking I would say. The sales of Barnes, Maddison and Castagne should have us operating well above FFP, especially Barnes as that’s listed as pure profit.

Not to mentions Soyuncu, Tielemans, Perez, etc. all off the wage bill.

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Wishful thinking I would say. The sales of Barnes, Maddison and Castagne should have us operating well above FFP, especially Barnes as that’s listed as pure profit.

Not to mentions Soyuncu, Tielemans, Perez, etc. all off the wage bill.

Imagine getting done and still winning the league by 10+ points.

There'd be bodies on twitter.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Imagine getting done and still winning the league by 10+ points.

There'd be bodies on twitter.

dont start with them on twitter please, they gob off without knowing all the information etc, 

like saying "LCFC are losing all their players to AFCON" etc

kinda like the southampton fans moaning Martin didnt get manager of the month, some fans just need their head wobbled.

Let other teams try to chase us down. 

Southampton have had an astonishing run, yet are still 13/14 points behind us. 

Leeds went on a run whilst we had "our collapse" and yet we're further away than before. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

Southamptons run will come to an end eventually

It's impressive to be that many games unbeaten but aside from beating Leeds and WBA (both at home), and Hull away, the other results are games you wouldn't expect Southampton to lose given the strength of their squad.

They've got Wednesday and Swansea next so you'd expect them to get another 6 points. Though they have got away games at WBA and Bristol City next month as well which will be tougher, Bristol City being a better side now.

6 hours ago, Sly said:

Are they serious? 

I'm guessing they're basing it off the P&S allowed losses being much less in the Championship than in the Premier League. It's £13m per season compared to £35m. 

But the way the accounts are assessed over a 3 year period should mean you're fine as you'll have the parachute payment plus you'll be be going straight back up again. 

One of the reasons clubs have to sell all their players and reduce wages if they don't get back up inside 3 seasons. 

On 11/01/2024 at 07:25, Jobyfox said:

Southampton are in great form but, unfortunately for them, it’s been largely irrelevant to us so far. As you suggest the only real danger to us is our own form collapsing 

I want to think that was the exception rather than the norm. Despite the 2020 and 2021 drop offs I'm not particularly concerned. Maybe we won't keep up 2.5 points a game all season but we're the same odds to get promoted as Man City are to make the top 4.

I think Ipswich are being a bit unfairly written off. Granted if they don't win tomorrow, that'll make it 6 without a win going into playing us away next week, but I still think it's a bit of a blip. I can't really pick between them or Southampton for 2nd. I hope it's Ipswich though.

• Like 3