Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

2 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

so we lose to Coventry and the merchants of doom come echoing out.

look at yesterday game in context, down to 10 men for all the second half, usually when we push on in games

still 10 points clear or 3rd, 

the over reaction to one loss on here is laughable, fully expect the lads wanting to put it right next Monday

To further add to the context, we have 19 games still to play and we problem only need to win between 8 to 10 of those and looking at the 19 games I think we will be ok

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

To further add to the context, we have 19 games still to play and we problem only need to win between 8 to 10 of those and looking at the 19 games I think we will be ok

We need to win 14 of them. Ideally. 

• Like 1

We lose (against Coventry no less) and everyone else wins and it's bound to make some people a bit nervous. 

But, by virtue of our big(ish) leads over rivals, it hasn't really changed the overall situation much. Southampton could be classed as a 'worry' purely because of their run. But it only matters if Ipswich or Leeds join them, since we can finish 2nd and still go up. 

image.png.35c807d98055fa0cc51c45a8f9585b74.png

Looks like 92-96 points will do the trick. We can drop off a fair bit and still achieve that, whilst the other 3 will need to achieve and sustain over 2 points per game from here on out. 

EDIT: More thoughts. 

If the target is say, 95 points, out of the 57 points available that's the following needed:

• Leicester 30
  • Ipswich 37
  • Southampton 40
  • Leeds 44

I don't see Leeds taking 15 points more than us in the final part of the season.

Even Southampton, on the back of 19 games unbeaten, they took 45 points in that time, compared to our 44 points (including 3 losses for us!) 

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Anyone else feel we will finish outside the top 2?

No.

With 19 games to go, in the unlikely event we lose form, would would still win 10 easily, that's 30 points on top of our 65 points, giving us 95.

For Southampton to get 95 they need 45 points from 19 games, in their unbeaten run which is funnily enough 19 games they have taken 45 points.

So they would have to carry their great run for another 19 games which is as unlikely.

I think we will hit 100 points, I don't think anyone else will..

19 minutes ago, nathan. said:

As a Leicester fan it's very possible to feel that but in order for us to actually do that would be quite incredible. We'd need to drop from averaging around 2.5 points a game to 1.2 points a game for the final 19 games. 

It would be a monumental crisis of confidence/bottle job/nose dive. 

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

As a Leicester fan it's very possible to feel that but in order for us to actually do that would be quite incredible. We'd need to drop from averaging around 2.5 points a game to 1.2 points a game for the final 19 games. 

It would be a monumental crisis of confidence/bottle job/nose dive. 

If anyone can, Leicester can.

6 minutes ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

So Darren England says that’s not a foul! Yet ours was a red 🤣

That was a lot more dangerous than Fatawus challenege, didn't even get a yellow did he

Edited by whoareyaaa

54 minutes ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

If anyone can, Leicester can.

Taking my Leicester hat off, im not so sure. 

The 2 seasons we dropped out of the champions league places so dramatically,  were for a few obvious reasons. One, is that in both seasons we were over performing at the start, something that was always likely to catch up with us. Secondly because the people chasing us have unlimited resources and were always going to throw everything at improving. Finally, the injurys stacked up in the crazy covid periods and we had no resources to replace them adequately in january. 

This season, we arent over performing... we are just better than this level. Our rivals wont get much stronger than they already were and finally, our squad depth is actually strong enough now.  We only have an issue in the winks role and maybe the 8 role, but in truth thats probably being greedy as both Casadai and Yunus are pedigree players, its not like we are pulling youth team players inot the mix.... but on that front, should we have to.... both Alves and Braybrooke, with good recoveries... could yet still improve us when they get the chance. 

I'll grant you that one of the chasers could have a better 19 games than us... but the chances of 2 of them hitting the pace needed... is so unlikely.

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, nathan. said:

Even if we struggle against the top teams, our record against the bottom half teams will carry us over the line from here. We’re simply too good for those teams based on our playing style. 

I know it's not championship,  but we don't do a league one thread so - did anyone see the way Derby celebrated their last minute winner against Burton Albion at home?

No wonder they don't like calling us rivals. Much happier now they've found their level.

22 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Might explain why the Pozzos are keen for new investment or a way out..

Mind you also generally get a story like this every year!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/16/spanish-prosecutors-recommend-12-year-sentence-for-watfords-gino-pozzo-over-tax-claims

:ph34r::whistle:

Meet your new American overlords …

2839E305-C6D3-4AE5-AF8D-D3237177B3C6.thumb.jpeg.e78b0033f8fe8124c538984cbe9c9b7e.jpeg

“The Football Co.”  :claude:

Nothing but good will come from that I’m sure :D

6 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I know it's not championship,  but we don't do a league one thread so - did anyone see the way Derby celebrated their last minute winner against Burton Albion at home?

No wonder they don't like calling us rivals. Much happier now they've found their level.

👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Meet your new American overlords …

2839E305-C6D3-4AE5-AF8D-D3237177B3C6.thumb.jpeg.e78b0033f8fe8124c538984cbe9c9b7e.jpeg

“The Football Co.”  :claude:

Nothing but good will come from that I’m sure :D

Unfortunately not sure any take over is a good thing or turns out to be these days...

Sure it will get some fans excited or just glad to be rid of the Pozzos though. 

3 hours ago, nathan. said:

Nope, there's no logical way anyone could draw that conclusion. Other than irrational fear I don't think anyone would think it possible.

• Like 2

Definitely. Heart says we aren't quite as dominant as the table suggests. Head says, as others have pointed out, that we could bumble through against the 15 weaker teams without breaking sweat. 

And despite our indifferent form against the better sides, we outclassed Southampton, Leeds had 0-0 all over it, we outplayed Ipswich for 45 and looked untroubled by their second half improvement. We were cruising against Cov. We were way better than west Brom even though we Were lucky in the end. We beat Sunderland on playing at 20%

Two more mini 4 game winning runs against a succession of garbage.... the rest we can stumble through

• Thanks 1

Not a chance, 11 men on Saturday & we win that game. We’ve lost another 3 by only conceding 1 goal. It would take something absolutely monumental for us to drop off like that.

• Like 1