Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Not sure what's best, the fact that as soon as Rooney arrives at Birmingham they stop winning, or the fact that as soon as he leaves, they are back to getting results.

Edited by adejo92

50 minutes ago, john ridley said:

In the end we will get what we deserve. If we mess it up its all our own fault,at the minute  it's all in our hands,so if we fvck up it's are own fault. 

This - absolutely. 

6 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

7 once this games finishes. The point being, with a 7 point gap, it’s one or two more bad results from us whilst they are still in this form of their own and it’s within a game or so of points and all to play for.

That said, when we lost back to back in November, our lead of Leeds went from 14 points to 8 in those two game weeks and was then rebuilt so can go either way!

After 13 games played, Leicester were 15 points in front of Saints so, another 7 points is doable. 

I don't think that will happen though.

Second place should be the least we get!

Edited by Saintquin
grammer

On 16/01/2024 at 19:47, Ric Flair said:

As a Leicester fan it's very possible to feel that but in order for us to actually do that would be quite incredible. We'd need to drop from averaging around 2.5 points a game to 1.2 points a game for the final 19 games. 

It would be a monumental crisis of confidence/bottle job/nose dive. 

Does it need to be that low, ill see if can do some quick maths.

Saints PPG current last 6 2.5 PPG, is it short term form? Last 12 PPG is 2.33

Ipswich PPG current last 6 1.16 PPG, ok much better, Last 12 is 1.83

Based on last 6 form.

Saints predicted finishing total is 103 points.

Ipswich predicted finishing total is 80 points

Based on Ipswich current form we would need a hideous run. Leeds an even worse run.  If we base it on last 12, the run doesnt need to be as bad, but the games are indeed running out now.  I think saints have to be the clear second favourite for autos behind us now, their form is monstrous.

1.84 PPG gets us 100 points which probably is enough for autos.

Enzo needs to get us clicking without Ndidi though, hopefully the new signing gets over the line.

Edited by Chrysalis

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We'd murder them on the counter again. Martin holds grudges and the whipping we gave them a few months ago would play right in to our hands again.

From what I understand from Saints supporters I know, its all clicking now.

They had an issue at the start where they were overplaying it and not getting up the pitch with urgency (sounds familiar?) apparently this has now been addressed.  They are probably the only team in the league thats had a run as consistent as our own run, and now they playing more direct their goal tally has gone up.  I think they will be a different challenge to when we last played them.

For me watching us is weird, Enzo has managed to get us efficient at grinding out points, but many games the team doesnt feel like its clicking or could destroy the opposition, instead often its needed a half time gee up, and in some games we have been comfortably the worse team like coventry, ipswich and leeds.  We have had some spells where we look good but these spells dont seem to last more than 5 games or so.  When we go back to just about winning games or draws/defeats.  Ultimately the league position is what counts so we doing the business, but I can understand where people are coming from when they dont say we are the best team in the league.  Cov fans think based on the games played this season we are the worst out of ourselves, leeds, ipswich and saints.  Of course in both Cov games we were poor.  So they havent seen us at our best.  Ndidi's presence for whatever reason seems to really up our performances but now he is injured again. :(

Luckily we dont need to worry about Southampton, as there is 2 auto spots, so just need to stay clear of Ipswich and Leeds which we should be good enough to get over the line.

Edited by Chrysalis

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

They had an issue at the start where they were overplaying it and not getting up the pitch with urgency (sounds familiar?) apparently this has now been addressed.  They are probably the only team in the league thats had a run as consistent as our own run, and now they playing more direct their goal tally has gone up.  I think they will be a different challenge to when we last played them.

For me watching us is weird, Enzo has managed to get us efficient at grinding out points, but many games the team doesnt feel like its clicking or could destroy the opposition, instead often its needed a half time gee up, and in some games we have been comfortably the worse team like coventry, ipswich and leeds.  We have had some spells where we look good but these spells dont seem to last more than 5 games or so.  When we go back to just about winning games or draws/defeats.  Ultimately the league position is what counts so we doing the business, but I can understand where people are coming from when they dont say we are the best team in the league.  Cov fans think based on the games played this season we are the worst out of ourselves, leeds, ipswich and saints.  Of course in both Cov games we were poor.  So they havent seen us at our best.  Ndidi's presence for whatever reason seems to really up our performances but now he is injured again. :(

Luckily we dont need to worry about Southampton, as there is 2 auto spots, so just need to stay clear of Ipswich and Leeds which we should be good enough to get over the line.

I think we're the classic example of so far being pretty much wire to wire and it gets boring and we get dismissed. We win on Monday and despite Sourhampton being on a 20 game unbeaten run, they'd have 1 more point than us over that period. Astonishing.

I think the art of us is that we are annoyingly efficient. A team that's done what we've done, the standards depict we should be utterly flawless in defence and attack but we clearly aren't. I'd say we are exactly what I'd expect from an Italian coach who knows what they're doing.

I hope we start to get dismissed and disrespected as we're rhe one constant. 

I watched Southampton today and they were unbelievably fortune rhe last 20 minutes, could have lost it let alone won it by 2 goals!!!! 

I don’t even think the key difference between us and Southampton is on the pitch. I think it comes down to the summer and us doing our business early.

In August, we got 12 points to their 10 but with an easier fixture list. They had some key players leave late and had a bit of an overhaul whilst we were more settled. Immediately after the window closed they lost 4 on the trot which are their only defeats all season and are unbeaten since September! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saintquin said:

After 13 games played, Leicester were 15 points in front of Saints so, another 7 points is doable. 

I don't think that will happen though.

Second place should be the least we get!

It’s definitely doable but hopefully you don’t! I think people underestimate how quickly that sort of points gap ‘could’ get eaten up at the top end of the table when teams are on winning runs. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

It’s definitely doable but hopefully you don’t! I think people underestimate how quickly that sort of points gap ‘could’ get eaten up at the top end of the table when teams are on winning runs. 

It's much harder to close gaps at the top than at the bottom. Teams at the top don't tend to go on losing runs.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that we can't lose a few games on the trot. We might. But there's nothing to suggest we will. All the panicky doom-mongering on here is based on one game at Cov where yes we weren't great but may well not have lost but for the sending off, and the fact that Ndidi's injured. Which is funny considering the stick Enzo got on here for playing Ndidi in the role he's now apparently indispensable in.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

It's much harder to close gaps at the top than at the bottom. Teams at the top don't tend to go on losing runs.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that we can't lose a few games on the trot. We might. But there's nothing to suggest we will. All the panicky doom-mongering on here is based on one game at Cov where yes we weren't great but may well not have lost but for the sending off, and the fact that Ndidi's injured. Which is funny considering the stick Enzo got on here for playing Ndidi in the role he's now apparently indispensable in.

I’m coming from a different angle that if you do drop points at the top, other teams will be on you quick. Whereas at the bottom, you could go for weeks without a win and others around you won’t do much.

And I’m personally not doom mongering, just striking some balance. Many on here struggle with that. Of course we are in a favourable position. But those who say it is done and dusted and we don’t need to give Southampton a second thought are just as reactionary the other way to those who say we have blown promotion after 1 defeat!

• Like 1

People worrying about being caught win Monday an we will have still taken the most point in the last 10 and will have took 1 more point than the Saints.

Even if we lose we will only have taken 2 point less in the last 10 then the Saints.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Watched the wednesday cov game today.  Cov were nowhere  near the level  as they were last Saturday.  Wednesday  were bloody awful.  Teams seem to raise their game against us. I know we didn't play well last weekend but if cov played like they did today we would have dominated  that game and an easy win.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Random memory but does anyone remember when John Paintsil circled the whole stadium after we beat Southampton and looked so overjoyed? Then we never played him again. 

Flew the Ghanaian flag as well iirc lol 

• Haha 1