Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

What's everyones views on who will be our main rivals for promotion this season? Anyone other than Leeds, Southampton etc, a surprise package?

Hopefully Bristol City. A lot of the punters seem to fancy Middlesbrough so we’ll have to see, you’d think Sunderland will be there or thereabouts too. But anybody could really come out of the pack. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

What's everyones views on who will be our main rivals for promotion this season? Anyone other than Leeds, Southampton etc, a surprise package?

Leeds for me, Ipswich being the surprise package this year

26 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Sunderland I think, made some decent signings this summer too. They'd be my auto promotion outsiders

Definitely think this will be the season Bristol City click too, play offs at best though. 

Agree with Turtle above that Ipswich could be around the play offs.

20 hours ago, SuperMike said:

I cannot believe how many people truly believe that we are going to breeze through the season and win this league at a canter.

What the heck is this optimism based on?

i )We are a club in total turmoil coming out of a pathetic season in the top division.

ii )We are accustomed to losing - a winning run brings confidence and success, a losing one doesn't.

iii )A dozen senior players have left the club, including the 4 best players.

iv )From the academy to the boardroom there doesn't seem a spark of success or any idea how to progress. General farce from top to bottom.

v )The only team from this division we played last year beat us fairly easily.

vi )The new manager is an unknown quantity with no experience (yeah, ok, Palma) at this level.

vi ) The talk is all about adopting a style that is patently not suitable to LCFC.

vii ) The players we have are not suitable to this proposed style.

viii ) This division is made up of ex premier league teams and sleeping giants (bar 3?) and not a bunch of bumpkin amateurs.

ix )Our pre-season preperation has been somewhat lacking - the far east tour has not helped.

x ) Transfer window has done us no favours - still plenty of disenchanted deadwood around.

xi )Players from the academies / reserves of the 'big six' unlikely to guarantee success in this league (even if they do have ridiculous names like Hannibal and Silko)

xii ) One of Rodgers' sides biggest failings was 'lack of physicality' (ie. What a bunch of weeds). This has not been put right and we are entering a division where toughness counts.

I could go on, but it's depressing me.

I thought with the signing of Coady that things were looking up and we would be nowhere near the drop-zone - but not so sure now. One thing is for sure, though : Promotion is a non-starter.

Nice to know you aren't being comedically over-the-top.

50 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Southampton for me. Although their main players seems to being sold late. Expect Lavia and JWP to go and it doesnt leave them long to get replacements in. 

It's a difficult balancing act to strike. You can sell your players quickly at bargain basement prices but have plenty of time to find replacements, or hold out for the best price but end up losing them on deadline day with no time for replacements. Have to say we probably got the timing and price about right for Maddison and Barnes, but it remains to be seen how we do in getting replacements. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Coventry City will be there about’s in the playoffs they have signed some good players.

Hmm lost their best two players though and there was a sense that they overachieved last season anyway. 

No one is talking about Boro.

They were 21st when Carrick came in, and got to the play-offs. They still have Chuba Apkom who was the player of the year last season. They signed Morgan Rodgers from Man City who I think will be a good winger at this level and Senny Dieng from QPR is a good replacement for Steffen. Because of that continuity from last season, I think they will be the early pacesetters and a real danger team to watch. I think they might go up automatically! The relegated teams have very good players, but are all in turmoil as they sort their squads out. Coventry have had to deal with losing their best player and some other player turnover. Meanwhile, Boro can just hit the ground running.

Just now, Lionator said:

Hmm lost their best two players though and there was a sense that they overachieved last season anyway. 

Gyokeres will be a huge loss and there are reports that Hamer won't sign a new contract. They look like a side who needed to go up last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

No chance they keep Lavia and JWP.

Even if I take away the players they have been linked away, its still a squad with Aribo, Armstrong, Sulemana, Adams, Djenepo, Caleta-Car, Alcaraz, Manning and Tella 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Even if I take away the players they have been linked away, its still a squad with Aribo, Armstrong, Sulemana, Adams, Djenepo, Caleta-Car, Alcaraz, Manning and Tella 

They'll do very well and push for promotion, but these were significantly worse than even our lot over a 38 game season.

It'll be interesting to see how many of these kick off in Southampton shirts.

41 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Gyokeres will be a huge loss and there are reports that Hamer won't sign a new contract. They look like a side who needed to go up last season. 

Also losing Doyle to us will be a big loss for them also 

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Let’s hope we are rivalling others for promotion, I would settle for just being in the mix at the moment rather than mid table mediocrity.

My mate asked me what i thought of our chances and my response was simply that any of about 14 teams could go up and i think that’s fair. 

I don’t think there’s a huge favourite mainly because you have to see whose left at clubs on deadline day but currently southampton are best placed.  but if this week they lose jwp, lavia, alcaraz suddenly it’s a harder task. 

But it’s easy to forget they have players like Aribo that will probably be a level above this div. plenty that are just not quite prem standard but should be better than this league

Leeds are just as messy as us.  So with the uncertainty of the 3 relegated clubs you’d think the settled sides in the league might be able to capitalize with fast starts. 

cov, bristol c, ipswich, boro and sunderland are all scaring me in particular. 

but  still believe, if our squad is motivated… even with who we have availble now… we should have enough to beat anyone on our day. It’s just a case of how quickly we adapt to marescas football