Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

This weekends big game…& suprise results:-

Norwich 2-0 WBA

M’borough 1-1 Rotherham

The rest were routine.

WBA loss,might open up the 5th-6th positions

but again those bottom 3 could well upset many

teams aspirations in that chasing pack

Top 14 still in with a shout for play-off place.

Though IMO none below top 3 have that consistency

to challenge for top 2 places,also for me Leeds challenge

faltered’and even with a decent run in,are too far off’ at

this stage of the season,because they still will let important

points slip…

Like Enzo I am still wary of all games in front of us, though

confident we will have the quality and mental discipline to

stand up to the challenge despite the odd turbulence.

One game at a time,and we tôt up in May..:scarf:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

I don’t even think the key difference between us and Southampton is on the pitch. I think it comes down to the summer and us doing our business early.

In August, we got 12 points to their 10 but with an easier fixture list. They had some key players leave late and had a bit of an overhaul whilst we were more settled. Immediately after the window closed they lost 4 on the trot which are their only defeats all season and are unbeaten since September! 

The big thing with Southampton is they still have to go away to us, Ipswich, Leeds and West Brom. They've become as effective as us at beating the lesser teams but they've had an extremely long run of playing them. We've not got a great record against the top sides yet but theirs is worse and they've played fewer of them. Jury is still out - although I do think the consistency at beating the weaker teams is probably why us and them will be the top two.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The big thing with Southampton is they still have to go away to us, Ipswich, Leeds and West Brom. They've become as effective as us at beating the lesser teams but they've had an extremely long run of playing them. We've not got a great record against the top sides yet but theirs is worse and they've played fewer of them. Jury is still out - although I do think the consistency at beating the weaker teams is probably why us and them will be the top two.

It'll be fascinating, their fixture list is quite astonishing how it's been compiled. They may well put themselves firmly in the top 2 and very close to us, possibly even overtake us and then they have an extremely hard run in. But perhaps by then they have the momentum and confidence to see it through.

It won't come as a surprise but Martin strikes me as a manager who has a weakness when in a position to kick on and achieve success. I still think they'll end up 3rd or 4th but I've been wrong many times before and my dislike of him is probably blinkering me.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

It'll be fascinating, their fixture list is quite astonishing how it's been compiled. They may well put themselves firmly in the top 2 and very close to us, possibly even overtake us and then they have an extremely hard run in. But perhaps by then they have the momentum and confidence to see it through.

It won't come as a surprise but Martin strikes me as a manager who has a weakness when in a position to kick on and achieve success. I still think they'll end up 3rd or 4th but I've been wrong many times before and my dislike of him is probably blinkering me.

They've somehow not got a game against a top four team from 30th September (game 9) to 16th March (game 38) and even that would move to April if either Leicester or Southampton got to the FA Cup quarter final, of which we're both in round 4 with winnable ties. It's pretty extraordinary.

Think exactly the same of Martin. It's not bitterness, I rate the way he's turned around the dreadful start and I wouldn't have had him down as capable of a run like this, but it's all a bit Rodgers isn't it, Rodgers was also capable of some extraordinarily good runs and results yet his teams regularly fell to bits when the pressure was on. That isn't to say Southampton will definitely do this, but they just haven't proven yet that they won't. In fairness though - neither have we. I can't even imagine the mental damage it will do to us if we somehow contrive to not get promoted from here. Would firmly establish us as a choker club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Southampton have played only 1 of the top 5 in the last 19 games - and that was the 5th place team at home when by all accounts they were lucky to win (lost 1-2 on xG). In total, from the 3 October to when they play us in March they would have had a 28 game run without playing another team in the top 4. Incredible really. In their last 9 games of the season, though, they have to go away to us, Leeds and Ipswich whilst facing play off chasers like Cov and Watford at home. So that will be the key period for them. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

They've somehow not got a game against a top four team from 30th September (game 9) to 16th March (game 38) and even that would move to April if either Leicester or Southampton got to the FA Cup quarter final, of which we're both in round 4 with winnable ties. It's pretty extraordinary.

Think exactly the same of Martin. It's not bitterness, I rate the way he's turned around the dreadful start and I wouldn't have had him down as capable of a run like this, but it's all a bit Rodgers isn't it, Rodgers was also capable of some extraordinarily good runs and results yet his teams regularly fell to bits when the pressure was on. That isn't to say Southampton will definitely do this, but they just haven't proven yet that they won't. In fairness though - neither have we. I can't even imagine the mental damage it will do to us if we somehow contrive to not get promoted from here. Would firmly establish us as a choker club.

Realise that I've just said a lot of what you said above - missed your message whilst typing mine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Southampton have played only 1 of the top 5 in the last 19 games - and that was the 5th place team at home when by all accounts they were lucky to win (lost 1-2 on xG). In total, from the 3 October to when they play us in March they would have had a 28 game run without playing another team in the top 4. Incredible really. In their last 9 games of the season, though, they have to go away to us, Leeds and Ipswich whilst facing play off chasers like Cov and Watford at home. So that will be the key period for them. 

It is truly extraordinary isn't it? To think they may not play another top 4 team until April as well.

The end is coming Brussell.

@Ric Flair we all know how this ends don't we? Brussell is going to assist Coventry's promotion via the play-offs, via a bottling.

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It is truly extraordinary isn't it? To think they may not play another top 4 team until April as well.

The end is coming Brussell.

@Ric Flair we all know how this ends don't we? Brussell is going to assist Coventry's promotion via the play-offs, via a bottling.

Hahahaa I actually think I'd rather Cov come up with us than Brussell.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Nah if Coventry meet Southampton in the play-offs I'm going full profile pictures of Brussell and everything. I've no doubt he would fumble it though.

I just cannot fathom how things have managed to shift me to a position where I almost want Leeds to get promoted. If there is a god it's Leicester, Ipswich and West Brom. But there's no way we can be that lucky.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

To be fair their losing run (linked to your point) was a tough run, away at Sunderland who had had a good start, then and Ipswich who had had great starts and away at Middlesbrough who were just starting to pick up some form then after a bad start.

But I also do think the timing of being just after the transfer window and them losing the likes of JWP and Tella played a bit part.

I think ultimately it is a credit to our club (for once) that they got things done earlier as like I say, I think that is more the difference between us and Southampton than particularly on the field. 

Also, I think these stats of not played anyone in the top whatever are a bit misleading as is that based on the positions of the clubs they have played now or at the time they played them? For example, Coventry have been in the bottom half for much of the season but we caught them at their best last week. Whereas Southampton have been in the top 4 for most but we caught them at their worst in September.

• Like 3

I’m not actually bothered about what any other team is doing. The ONLY team for me is our team and what they do. We continue as we have and nothing else matters. It’s in our hands. Good place to be. Other teams will do what they do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I said this the other week. They got a decent draw at Coventry in their long run but aside from that they haven’t played us, WBA, Leeds or Ipswich all away from home. It’s amazing to be unbeaten at any level for that period but I’d be more “scared” if they’d had played a couple good sides in there at least. Their results against Leeds and WBA were both at home.

Win tomorrow and Southampton would have to out perform us by 0.55 point per game for the rest of the season to catch us. Even if we lose its 0.38 point per game.

Keep in mind in their unbeaten 20 game run they have pick up 48 points at 2.4 points per game.

In the same period but it 19 games we have taken 44 points at 2.31 points per game, so they have only out perform us by 0.09 per game. 

If that continued it would take them 111 games to make up 10 points.

So if we lose Monday they have made up 4 points in 20 games, win they have made up 1, draw they have made up 3.

If you break the season down in to 5 game chucks of form.

Games 1 to 5 = 12 pts @ 2.4 pts per game.

Games 6 to 10 = 15 pts @ 3 pts

Games 11 to 15 = 12 pts @ 2.4 pts

Games 16 to 20 = 10 pts  @ 2 pts 

Games 21 to 25 = 13 pts @ 2.6 pts 

Even if we manage to match our worse 5 game chuck of form for the rest of the season we will take 38 points we would finish with 103 pts.

Southampton would need to take 45 points from 18 games at 2.5 points per game to catch us. So would Ipswich, Leeds would need 52 at 2.73.

If we hit our overall form for the rest of the season 2.4, Southampton would need 2.88 points per game.

• Like 1

Not forgetting beating top side Southampton (a) oh and West Brom. then going to 2nd place Ipswich and getting a bloody good draw, only last minute deflection stole our win... So really losing only 4 games to sides either then top 2 ambitions, others now holding or chasing at present playoff positions..

We in the whole are not worried on our form with Top sides.. 

But what an interesting position for us, If we beat teams out of top 6,and only drop points against top 6...That sees us

Promoted still with the  record points open. So treble 19 = 57 + present 65

122 pts. To play with.. 

I suppose a booky bet :

2 losses max

3 draws max

Leaving 110 pts,might be worth a shout

in taking the record.. 

Though if we confirm early promotion, one would quander if the record stays on. 

Dangerous but interesting times. 

Has there ever been a record collapse, from a team in our position... 

#No promotion

# No play-off.. 

Booky bet..?? 

Edited by fuchsntf

Nah if Coventry meet Southampton in the play-offs I'm going full profile pictures of Brussell and everything. I've no doubt he would fumble it though.

I just cannot fathom how things have managed to shift me to a position where I almost want Leeds to get promoted. If there is a god it's Leicester, Ipswich and West Brom. But there's no way we can be that lucky.

Us, Ipswich and Norwich would be great too. Even though I really like Ipswich it would be quite funny to see them frothing at the mouth as a spawny Norwich run into 6th place and then winning the playoffs overshadows Ipswich getting into the Premier League for the first time in 20 years 

Bamford seems to have played his way back into being first choice for Leeds. Just shows the difference in levels between the PL and the Championship, Bamford was ridiculed in the PL and Piroe was praised in the Championship yet Bamford has ended up on top. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Seeing as I live n Southampton now, keen for them to come up with us, so I can see us win at St Marys again ...yes I was there for the big one:scarf: