Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

On paper, Leeds have a very good side. The reason I don't think they'll get top 2 is because I don't rate Farke. I watch Southampton and us, and when on song its a joy to watch and teams can get steam rollered. Rarely do I watch Leeds and think they play amazing football. Given the players they have at their disposal, especially in attacking areas, they should be blitzing teams at this level, but they rarely do. They've had a few big wins but many times I've watched them this season and they've not impressed me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lcfcsnow said:

Just hope we've got a reasonable gap still by the end of Feb when we play them, we'll go there and set up like we did at Cov thinking our walking football will quiet the crowd, just another game etc

Why you worried about Leeds not a chance they are catching us.

• Like 1

Something I’ve noticed this season is how overly emotional Leeds players seem to be. A lot of games I see it feels like it’s always close to boiling over. Maybe it’s the pressure of not being able to drop any points this season.  

Don’t think they’ll have the consistency to overtake Saints and then stay ahead. 

I don't fancy Leeds' chances in the playoffs.  They don't have the steel for it, and frankly I don't think they are better than Southampton, Ipswich, or Hull with Carvalho.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I don't fancy Leeds' chances in the playoffs.  They don't have the steel for it, and frankly I don't think they are better than Southampton, Ipswich, or Hull with Carvalho.

You say that, but then you look at their ‘big game’ performances this season and they tend to be some of their better ones.

It’s the dross they struggle with!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

The energy from both sides here in the first 15 mins is unreal. I hate that they say it, but teams really do step it up against Leeds. Probably because they know they’re fragile (not because it’s Leeds Utd as their fans like to think). 

That theory doesn't make a lot of sense.  Second best defence in the league and one of the best 3 or 4 teams.  There are nearly 20 other teams they'd be better off using all that energy against, surely? A lot of teams are a lot more "fragile" than we are.

Teams have "stepped it up" against us in the lower leagues for as long as we've been in them.  We might be a pale shadow of the great teams from the 60s and 70s or even the very good teams of the 90s and early noughties.  But we are still a name and a team players want to say they've slain.

Edited by Pub breath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

On paper, Leeds have a very good side. The reason I don't think they'll get top 2 is because I don't rate Farke. I watch Southampton and us, and when on song its a joy to watch and teams can get steam rollered. Rarely do I watch Leeds and think they play amazing football. Given the players they have at their disposal, especially in attacking areas, they should be blitzing teams at this level, but they rarely do. They've had a few big wins but many times I've watched them this season and they've not impressed me. 

I'm not really sure what you mean?  What other team apart from Leicester, have blitzed more teams?  You know, given that we have the second best gd and all that?

• Like 1

Speaking of stepping up…

have we really stepped up in gears and gone full throttle against our closest challengers like Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton? We haven’t done it against teams we know are gunning for us like Coventry!

is there a lack of respect or urgency & desire to play these games like cup finals? Maybe our league position and Enzo being new to the championship prepares the players differently from how we would expect from them??

im expecting an all guns blazing performance. tomorrow nite. I know our team is not at 100% personel wise. Not sure what to expect. I’ll take a hard fought draw if we seem incapable of winning.

18 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I'm not really sure what you mean?  What other team apart from Leicester, have blitzed more teams?  You know, given that we have the second best gd and all that?

I don't just mean scoring goals, I mean actually watching them play. I've obviously watched all of our games and a fair few Southampton ones, and you can often see a gulf in class between them and rest. I haven't watched every Leeds game but when i have, they haven't looked all that special. Basically what I'm trying to say is, with the players you guys have and how incredibly dire this league is, I'd have expected a little more but you guys just seem pretty inconsistent. Out of interest, what's the feeling amongst Leeds fans about Farke?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Win tomorrow and Southampton would have to out perform us by 0.55 point per game for the rest of the season to catch us. Even if we lose its 0.38 point per game.

Keep in mind in their unbeaten 20 game run they have pick up 48 points at 2.4 points per game.

In the same period but it 19 games we have taken 44 points at 2.31 points per game, so they have only out perform us by 0.09 per game. 

If that continued it would take them 111 games to make up 10 points.

So if we lose Monday they have made up 4 points in 20 games, win they have made up 1, draw they have made up 3.

If you break the season down in to 5 game chucks of form.

Games 1 to 5 = 12 pts @ 2.4 pts per game.

Games 6 to 10 = 15 pts @ 3 pts

Games 11 to 15 = 12 pts @ 2.4 pts

Games 16 to 20 = 10 pts  @ 2 pts 

Games 21 to 25 = 13 pts @ 2.6 pts 

Even if we manage to match our worse 5 game chuck of form for the rest of the season we will take 38 points we would finish with 103 pts.

Southampton would need to take 45 points from 18 games at 2.5 points per game to catch us. So would Ipswich, Leeds would need 52 at 2.73.

If we hit our overall form for the rest of the season 2.4, Southampton would need 2.88 points per game.

This is all true and it's good context to put it into but I do think with Ndidi's injury there is a chance we tail off slightly. Our record with him is 2.75 points a game (!!!) and our record without, admittedly only 7 games, is 1.43 points a game. I know there's more to it than that but I don't think it's a coincidence either.

I did think this month would be hard though. Players unavailable and two of the worst fixtures we could've had. I think even if we do blow it tomorrow night we have a pretty good run of games in February.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Not forgetting beating top side Southampton (a) oh and West Brom. then going to 2nd place Ipswich and getting a bloody good draw, only last minute deflection stole our win... So really losing only 4 games to sides either then top 2 ambitions, others now holding or chasing at present playoff positions..

We in the whole are not worried on our form with Top sides.. 

But what an interesting position for us, If we beat teams out of top 6,and only drop points against top 6...That sees us

Promoted still with the  record points open. So treble 19 = 57 + present 65

122 pts. To play with.. 

I suppose a booky bet :

2 losses max

3 draws max

Leaving 110 pts,might be worth a shout

in taking the record.. 

Though if we confirm early promotion, one would quander if the record stays on. 

Dangerous but interesting times. 

Has there ever been a record collapse, from a team in our position... 

#No promotion

# No play-off.. 

Booky bet..?? 

I've got decent money on us breaking the 106 points record so I'm very much converted on this. I have to admit though the Ndidi injury has wobbled me a bit.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've got decent money on us breaking the 106 points record so I'm very much converted on this. I have to admit though the Ndidi injury has wobbled me a bit.

I’m really worried about our midfield now - and I’m not convinced Sensi is the type of player we need in there.

Time will tell I guess. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I don't just mean scoring goals, I mean actually watching them play. I've obviously watched all of our games and a fair few Southampton ones, and you can often see a gulf in class between them and rest. I haven't watched every Leeds game but when i have, they haven't looked all that special. Basically what I'm trying to say is, with the players you guys have and how incredibly dire this league is, I'd have expected a little more but you guys just seem pretty inconsistent. Out of interest, what's the feeling amongst Leeds fans about Farke?

Mixed.  Most behind him but I personally don't rate him tactically.  I think he's a motivator and sets a team up pretty well but when it comes to changing a game as it develops, lacking.

The point about GD is that it points to how much teams are destroying their opponents.  If Leeds GD is wider than all bar yours, surely we are handing out more big beatings than anyone other than you? 

In reality, our start is still the difference.  Had we been settled at the start and picking up points at the rate we have since September started, we'd be comfortably second and not even having this chat.

16 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Mixed.  Most behind him but I personally don't rate him tactically.  I think he's a motivator and sets a team up pretty well but when it comes to changing a game as it develops, lacking.

The point about GD is that it points to how much teams are destroying their opponents.  If Leeds GD is wider than all bar yours, surely we are handing out more big beatings than anyone other than you? 

In reality, our start is still the difference.  Had we been settled at the start and picking up points at the rate we have since September started, we'd be comfortably second and not even having this chat.

Regarding your last line, Southampton also started slower (or had a decent August and an awful September) so they could say the same. I think us and them have comfortably picked up more points than anyone else since September so I think second is a stretch to be fair. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

You've had two poor spells. At the start and then either side of the 4-0 drubbing of Ipswich you lost 3 and drew 1.

Most seasons your form would be scratching 2nd and you may well still be good for a top 2 spot but I genuinely think you'd be better off if Farke was removed.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

You and Southampton both had bad starts but they have now found consistency and are in great form. You men are still inconsistent. Lost to Sunderland, WBA and Preston drew with Cov and very nearly dropped another 2 today against a poor Preston side. Like I said, I've not been overly impressed with you men considering the quality of players you have and I think that's down to Farke not being the best choice buts that's just my opinion and Leeds fans obviously know alot more of the ins and outs of the club than me. I'm just an outsider looking in. 

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

That theory doesn't make a lot of sense.  Second best defence in the league and one of the best 3 or 4 teams.  There are nearly 20 other teams they'd be better off using all that energy against, surely? A lot of teams are a lot more "fragile" than we are.

Teams have "stepped it up" against us in the lower leagues for as long as we've been in them.  We might be a pale shadow of the great teams from the 60s and 70s or even the very good teams of the 90s and early noughties.  But we are still a name and a team players want to say they've slain.

Teams get at you and they often get an early goal (or create chances at least). Your quality does shine through and you take them apart after their hustle and bustle wears thin. For what it’s worth, the ones who sit deep get more joy overall. Your tactics probably bring the bite out in opponents too. 

Either way, it was an opinion… you do have a  decent defensive record (just read it’s less than a goal per game), which I’m surprised at. I watch nearly every Leeds game, I’m actually going on Weds :ph34r: just seems as if you concede more than you do. Probably because, this season especially, I love seeing you concede lol not because I hate Leeds. I just get a lot of stick from the blokes I watch the games with. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I’m really worried about our midfield now - and I’m not convinced Sensi is the type of player we need in there.

Time will tell I guess. 

Ah ye of little faith... 

Enzo has faced all challenges including tinkering with midfield a few times.. 

Now is time for our trusted few, to ride into the valley of the unknown, but keep to their Aspirations true.. :scarf: