Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

57 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

In reality, our start is still the difference.  Had we been settled at the start and picking up points at the rate we have since September started, we'd be comfortably second and not even having this chat.

This isn’t aimed at you solely, but it’s relevant to your post. 

We had far from a settled start, wholesale changes in players and management, similarly Southampton. Many fans see their own clubs troubles and don’t see that others were in a similar position. We got through it and granted, did have a bit more time to settle, a few good results and it just rolled on from there.

AFCON could be our version of your rocky start, but we won’t be the only ones hit by it, so it is what it is. 

I think you’ll be well up there come the end of the season, wouldn’t mind you finishing 2nd… behind us of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

In reality, our start is still the difference.  Had we been settled at the start and picking up points at the rate we have since September started, we'd be comfortably second and not even having this chat.

Don't think you start was to bad in a normal season just us and Ipswich got off to a flyer. 

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is all true and it's good context to put it into but I do think with Ndidi's injury there is a chance we tail off slightly. Our record with him is 2.75 points a game (!!!) and our record without, admittedly only 7 games, is 1.43 points a game. I know there's more to it than that but I don't think it's a coincidence either.

I did think this month would be hard though. Players unavailable and two of the worst fixtures we could've had. I think even if we do blow it tomorrow night we have a pretty good run of games in February.

Do we know how long Ndidi is out for yet? 

30 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

This isn’t aimed at you solely, but it’s relevant to your post. 

We had far from a settled start, wholesale changes in players and management, similarly Southampton. Many fans see their own clubs troubles and don’t see that others were in a similar position. We got through it and granted, did have a bit more time to settle, a few good results and it just rolled on from there.

AFCON could be our version of your rocky start, but we won’t be the only ones hit by it, so it is what it is. 

I think you’ll be well up there come the end of the season, wouldn’t mind you finishing 2nd… behind us of course.

Yeah, wasn't saying it was completely unique to us.  It was absolute carnage though and probably more unsettled than it was for you and Saints.  It definitely did bugger up the start but nothing can be done about it now.

Still plenty of games to reel those two in but you need to do your job tomorrow ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Sunbury Fox said:

I was just being cheeky as he'd gone missing for a few weeks after Leeds lost a couple of games over Xmas. 

I wasn't poking I just found it remarkable he'd been on here so long!

8 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

can’t help but think southampton vs leeds on the final day is going to be huge. Would be absolutely box office if it’s 2nd vs 3rd winner takes all 

I imagine both those sides will be pulling for us against Ipswich. Truthfully, we should win the league.  We’ve been clearly the best side all season.  Not the most entertaining, perhaps, but the most consistent and balanced across the pitch.  It would be surprising if that was still in doubt on the last day.

Southampton or Leeds is interesting.  On form Southampton is certainly better at the moment.  But Farke has won this league the last two seasons he was in it, and Martin is Martin.  Leeds has been basically unbeatable at home this season so if they’re able to reel in Southampton going into that day you’d have to like their chances.

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I imagine both those sides will be pulling for us against Ipswich. Truthfully, we should win the league.  We’ve been clearly the best side all season.  Not the most entertaining, perhaps, but the most consistent and balanced across the pitch.  It would be surprising if that was still in doubt on the last day.

Southampton or Leeds is interesting.  On form Southampton is certainly better at the moment.  But Farke has won this league the last two seasons he was in it, and Martin is Martin.  Leeds has been basically unbeatable at home this season so if they’re able to reel in Southampton going into that day you’d have to like their chances.

You say Leeds are basically unbeatable at home this season, but other than Ipswich is there anyone in playoff contention that you have played and beaten at home? 

I think Leeds are still way to inconsistent to go up this season, with us and Southampton being pretty consistent and putting together big unbeaten runs, Leeds will have to do something special in the remaining 18 games to challenge the top 2, whilst also hoping the the 2 or the three team above them lose focus and drop their form.

I can’t se them being a threat in the playoffs down to their inconsistency. I actually think Cov could be the team that is best suited to playing in the playoffs and could go up next season. 

We’ve just got to keep doing our thing, if we can get a win against Ipswich, the next 4 are winnable games.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

You say Leeds are basically unbeatable at home this season, but other than Ipswich is there anyone in playoff contention that you have played and beaten at home? 

I think Leeds are still way to inconsistent to go up this season, with us and Southampton being pretty consistent and putting together big unbeaten runs, Leeds will have to do something special in the remaining 18 games to challenge the top 2, whilst also hoping the the 2 or the three team above them lose focus and drop their form.

I can’t se them being a threat in the playoffs down to their inconsistency. I actually think Cov could be the team that is best suited to playing in the playoffs and could go up next season. 

We’ve just got to keep doing our thing, if we can get a win against Ipswich, the next 4 are winnable games.

Well, they’re the only side in the league that hasn’t lost at home, so by definition if anyone can make the argument they can.

We should win the league, but the other spot is totally up for grabs as far as I’m concerned.  Ipswich is tied with Saints and only four points ahead of Leeds if we beat them, and that’s a pittance with almost 20 games left.

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Bloody hell. I think I’ve only just realised how serious that could be for our season…

Is right.

Makes not losing to Ipswich that much more important, big game

Edited by Bourbon Fox

I was just reading that Ipswich Manager Kieran McKenna is on the shortlist for the Crystal Palace job. 
Got me thinking if I were in his shoes, would I leave Ipswich for Palace - and I don’t think I would. 
Palace are a Premier League Club, and have been for roughly half the seasons since the PL began, but have done nothing, an FA Cup final, but haven’t ever pushed into challenging for a European spot. When you think in the last 20 odd years Leicester, Ipswich, Stoke, Birmingham, Wigan, Portsmouth, Southampton, Middlesbrough and a few more have all played in Europe. Crystal Palace are pretty much at their limit, where as, Ipswich have hit those highs not too long ago and even won a European trophy within the life time of a lot of their supporters.

Anyway, hopefully the speculation unsettles them a little bit. 

35 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I was just reading that Ipswich Manager Kieran McKenna is on the shortlist for the Crystal Palace job. 
Got me thinking if I were in his shoes, would I leave Ipswich for Palace - and I don’t think I would. 
Palace are a Premier League Club, and have been for roughly half the seasons since the PL began, but have done nothing, an FA Cup final, but haven’t ever pushed into challenging for a European spot. When you think in the last 20 odd years Leicester, Ipswich, Stoke, Birmingham, Wigan, Portsmouth, Southampton, Middlesbrough and a few more have all played in Europe. Crystal Palace are pretty much at their limit, where as, Ipswich have hit those highs not too long ago and even won a European trophy within the life time of a lot of their supporters.

I would - 100%. I dont think Ipswich go up this season, and if they don't they will be stuck in the Championship for a while, and if they do go up i think they get battered next season. Palace have recruited well, and Roy is now the issue. He provided a manager bounce after Viera but someone like McKenna can come in and do a decent job there. Sure, Palace aren't going to be knocking on the top 6 door but top half PL is achievable if he does a good job. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I would - 100%. I dont think Ipswich go up this season, and if they don't they will be stuck in the Championship for a while, and if they do go up i think they get battered next season. Palace have recruited well, and Roy is now the issue. He provided a manager bounce after Viera but someone like McKenna can come in and do a decent job there. Sure, Palace aren't going to be knocking on the top 8 door but top half PL is achievable if he does a good job. 

How many teams do you think are in the league? :D

Surely finishing 9th or 10th is knocking on the door of top 8? haha

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

How many teams do you think are in the league? :D

Surely finishing 9th or 10th is knocking on the door of top 8? haha

lol! Sure. I meant to say Europe places (top 6). Often in previous years there has been huge points differences between 10th and 6th. 

Anyway - i think you get my gist :)  

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

lol! Sure. I meant to say Europe places (top 6). Often in previous years there has been huge points differences between 10th and 6th. 

Anyway - i think you get my gist :)  

Haha I did indeed sorry, it just made me laugh :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

The potential reason he wouldn't is that I don't think his stock will drop if Ipswich bow out in the playoffs. He'll be very sought after.

I think Palace have got a good 3-4 years at least of finishing above Ipswich though. 

There are a few basket cases up there too, but you could easily see Brentford, West Ham, or even a newly promoted Soton/Leeds seeing if he'd want the move. I don't think he needs to rush.

it’s wild how southampton never seem to have a tough game. I took a look at their fixtures and their final 9 look tricky. 

Could definitely make for an interesting end to the season. 

I’m. not convinced this is going to be the cake walk we were all hoping for. We need to bounce back very well for the next 5 games 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

it’s wild how southampton never seem to have a tough game. I took a look at their fixtures and their final 9 look tricky. 

Could definitely make for an interesting end to the season. 

I’m. not convinced this is going to be the cake walk we were all hoping for. We need to bounce back very well for the next 5 games 

Been saying this for ages, feels like the hardest game they've had in a long while was Norwich away. Think they've got us, Leeds and perhaps Ipswich away to come? WBA at a guess too

The pressure is on us really. I don't think we carry any fear factor and teams aren't worried to play us because they know they'll have chances in the second half. It's all become a bit predictable and that is a cause for concern

I still hope we have the quality to see it over the line but it'll be an uncomfortable watch at times no doubt

Edited by HybridFox