Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Leeds start games like an absolute freight train, particularly at home. I've said before I think they are too inconsistent, but I'm full of shit at the best of times.

Us..seeing out games........

IMG_20240124_201159.jpg

Just now, Lionator said:

Can anyone see a circumstance where two of the teams below us catch us? 

I can't see us nose diving that far.

I do think Southampton have a chance of catching us, but I can't see the other 2 doing it.

We'll batter Swansea and Stoke.. then it'll be minimum same gap to the chasing pack but 2 less games and we'll start relaxing more.

I don't see us breaking the record, unless when Wilfs back in a few weeks we keep everyone fit for the rest of the season, but to be honest, promotions enough surely.. anything else is just a bonus 

20 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The only team I can see potentially being a threat is Southampton - obviously very capable and currently on a very good run

But even then even during that run they have only taken a couple more points than us or something like that

Ipswich and Leeds though have both shown they are capable of a proper wobble which we and seemingly Southampton since they get it together haven't

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Whilst our form against the better sides is a little concerning, we have a run now against some honking sides before Leeds, real chance for some momentum.

If we can plough through all five, even four wins, then there’ll be very little pressure come the Leeds game. 

44 minutes ago, Lionator said:

No. Even with Southampton's form ours is almost as good and we have a 3 game head start. I don't see them winning 3 more games than us when they still have to play Leeds and Ipswich again themselves. Leeds away form is terrible. 6 defeats already. Ipswich have no striker without Hirst. I don't care we dropped 4 points against them, their goals were both freaky and they barely had a decent chance until late on. We've opened up 7 points on them in a month let alone they come back to catch us.

52 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Leeds & Southampton seem to have an easier run over the next few weeks. Could see us going to Leeds and needing to win to stay in top two.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Leeds only let Norwich have one shot in the second half, must be nice.

They do have Bamford up front though which is less nice - yes, just because he's scored a few recently, I don't think he's suddenly turned into a top class striker.

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

They do have Bamford up front though which is less nice - yes, just because he's scored a few recently, I don't think he's suddenly turned into a top class striker.

He doesn’t have to be a top class striker to score goals in the championship. 

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I feel like you're saying the same thing as me with different words :D 

Yes so do I, just because he’s scoring in the championship doesn’t suddenly make him a top class striker !

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Of course. 7 points isn't much, we've not played well in many games all season, haven't played well in any of the bigger games. Still have Leeds, Hull, Sunderland all away to play, plus Southampton at home.

Two defeats and a draw and we could be pretty much back down to 4th. Results have been noticeably worse without Ndidi who is still injured. Can't help but fear our lead is softening.

Win the last 10 games we have taken:

1 less point the Southampton.

6 more then Ipswich.

1 more the Leeds even if you count their extra game tonight.

I think people are underestimating our ability to take points.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

Definitely possible, but the games are ticking down thankfully.

The upside is I think Ipswich are probably not going to have as good as a time as they have in the first half of the season, and Leeds gap is bigger plus they have consistency issues.  Saints are solid right now but remember there is two auto spots, so we dont need to finish first.

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

The thing about that, though, is that Farke has Piroe waiting in the wings if Bamford goes off the boil.  Important for us to have at least one of Daka and Kelechi in top form when they’re back, because Cannon is still raw and Vardy is physically past being able to be a mainstay.  They can be effective as a change of pace but we need one of our wayward African sons to be the main guy.

When I see the question of whether anyone can “see a circumstance” where we drop out of the top two, well, sure - with 18 games left our cushion is hardly insurmountable.  I don’t see Ipswich finishing in the top two but both Saints and Leeds have the firepower to go an extended winning runs, and we’ve hardly looked dominating over the last several weeks.  The thing is though, there are so many sides in this league that we simply outclass and overmatch that it seems very unlikely we’d drop enough points for those two teams to pass us.  Not impossible, but even when indifferent we’ve still generally managed to get the job done against lesser sides.