Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Win 9, draw 5, lose 4 = 98 points season total with a superior goal diff.

Ipswich would need to take 40 from 18 matches.

Southampton 41 from 18. 

Leeds 42 from 17. 

Plus will play each other cancelling points.

I am not worried yet. 

I don’t feel nervous. I’m sure that will change if we do drop a few more points 

This side has just come off a near perfect Christmas period - a very difficult thing to do in any division. It’s that run that has us 8 points clear of 3rd despite the last two results. 

The other thing that fills me with confidence is the performances. Against Cov, it was a red card which changed the course of the game. I didn’t particularly agree with our second half tactics but for 20/25 minutes we were pretty comfortable. Against Ipswich we could’ve scored more and until about the 80th minute, we were the better side. 

Not perfect performances. Not by a long shot. However, we’ve recently experienced two completely unacceptable collapses. In both, our form, performances, application, quality significantly suffered. We looked like a team going down not one aiming for a top 4 finish. I don’t think that applies this time. 

We need to get back to winning ways but we don’t need to be perfect. Saints, Ipswich and Leeds to catch us need to continue these near perfect runs - that’s a hard ask for anyone. 

My opinion might change but at the moment, for two teams to catch us, I think that’s a difficult for 2 of the 3 below us.

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t feel nervous. I’m sure that will change if we do drop a few more points 

This side has just come off a near perfect Christmas period - a very difficult thing to do in any division. It’s that run that has us 8 points clear of 3rd despite the last two results. 

The other thing that fills me with confidence is the performances. Against Cov, it was a red card which changed the course of the game. I didn’t particularly agree with our second half tactics but for 20/25 minutes we were pretty comfortable. Against Ipswich we could’ve scored more and until about the 80th minute, we were the better side. 

Not perfect performances. Not by a long shot. However, we’ve recently experienced two completely unacceptable collapses. In both, our form, performances, application, quality significantly suffered. We looked like a team going down not one aiming for a top 4 finish. I don’t think that applies this time. 

We need to get back to winning ways but we don’t need to be perfect. Saints, Ipswich and Leeds to catch us need to continue these near perfect runs - that’s a hard ask for anyone. 

My opinion might change but at the moment, for two teams to catch us, I think that’s a difficult for 2 of the 3 below us.

Let’s hope it doesn’t apply this time. Next few league games are crucial and I’d venture to say that the FA Cup match is also important in that equation. 

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Southampton are going to catch us and finish quite far ahead of us, I can not see when they next lose a game. Possibly when they play us if we actually decide to turn up to a big game for once. 

For reference Southampton just went 20 games unbeaten and took 48 points. 

We took 45 points out of our last 20 games. 

Southampton need to take 9 points more than us over the next 18 games to overtake us

Sure, it's possible, but it'd require Southampton keeping up this form for around 35 games and/or barely losing 

3 minutes ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

don't deserve to win the league if we refuse to turn up in big games

What if we 'don't turn up in the big games' but are more consistent against the rest of the league than Southampton, Leeds and Ipswich and have the most points. 

What then? 

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

For reference Southampton just went 20 games unbeaten and took 48 points. 

We took 45 points out of our last 20 games. 

Southampton need to take 9 points more than us over the next 18 games to overtake us

Sure, it's possible, but it'd require Southampton keeping up this form for around 35 games and/or barely losing 

Southampton will keep this form. They are incredibly impressive at the moment and seem to be getting better and better, I dont see them losing many.

Obviously its in our hands, we need to perform. If we dont then we deserve to finish where we finish. 

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Points vs the Top 7 

Leeds 12 out of 24

Leicester 11 out of 24

Ipswich 11 out of 24

Southampton 10 out of 18

So we're not exactly outliers in this 'we dont turn up in big games' idea

3 points dropped at cov

3 points dropped at home to Leeds - can see us getting mauled at their place

4 points bottled against Ipswich over both games

admittedly won at west brom away but was extremely close to dropping 2 points, and beat Southampton in their lowest form

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Southampton will keep this form. They are incredibly impressive at the moment and seem to be getting better and better, I dont see them losing many.

Obviously its in our hands, we need to perform. If we dont then we deserve to finish where we finish. 

Leicester will keep this form. They are incredibly impressive - they've won 21 out of 28 games! 4 more than anyone else. They've only dropped points in 7 games. I don't see them losing many. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Well...it's not the metric is it? Having the most points is. 

Obviously thats something over the season we will have to wait and see. The way we play doesn always inspire confidence. We have the attacking skill, why the hell are we trying to defend 1-0s. 

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Points vs the Top 7 

Leeds 12 out of 24

Leicester 11 out of 24

Ipswich 11 out of 24

Southampton 10 out of 18

Im talking more the top 3 (and Derbys), we have drawn Ipswich 2 times, beats Saints and lost to Leeds, we were absolutely tragic at Coventry away, and lucky at home. The only really decent performance was Southampton but it could be said they were transforming at that point into the attacking machine they are now. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

1 minute ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

3 points dropped at cov

3 points dropped at home to Leeds - can see us getting mauled at their place

4 points bottled against Ipswich over both games

admittedly won at west brom away but was extremely close to dropping 2 points, and beat Southampton in their lowest form

Right and so what? We've still got 2nd most points vs the Top 7...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Points vs the Top 7 

Leeds 12 out of 24

Leicester 11 out of 24

Ipswich 11 out of 24

Southampton 10 out of 18

Don't let your facts get in the way of people's negativity.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Talking like they aren't going to lose another game this season :D. Do me a favour pal! No one's doing a 38 game unbeaten run when they've still got to play us and Leeds at our grounds.

• Like 2

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

Obviously thats something over the season we will have to wait and see. The way we play doesn always inspire confidence. We have the attacking skill, why the hell are we trying to defend 0-0s. 

Im talking more the top 3 (and Derbys), we have drawn Ipswich 2 times, beats Saints and lost to Leeds, we were absolutely tragic at Coventry away, and lucky at home. The only really decent performance was Southampton but it could be said they were transforming at that point into the attacking machine they are now. 

It'd be nice to win those games for sure. But until you can demonstrate that 3 points vs Ipswich is significantly better than beating the likes of Rotherham, Birmingham, Preston etc when Leeds, Southampton and Ipswich drop stupid points to them I'm not sure what the problem is? 

The way some on here talk, you'd think we have a god given right to win every match and anything else is a disaster.

We are currently the best side to ever play in this league, and it will take prolonged form never seen before to overtake us. It could happen yes, but there's no reason to panic.

Performances in the whole have been very very good, and we just need to sharpen up by 5% in either box to be near perfect.

• Like 2

Just now, TheGoldenGod said:

Talking like they aren't going to lose another game this season :D. Do me a favour pal! No one's doing a 38 game unbeaten run when they've still got to play us and Leeds at our grounds.

Well they have done 21, they look invincible at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Southampton will run into chaos from March when they actually play sides who attack them.