Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

2 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Right and so what? We've still got 2nd most points vs the Top 7...

it's indicative of the team's spine though, when it comes down to the final stretch when the pressure mounts this isn't convincing at all

We're absolutely fine. 

If we start mucking up against poor opposition I'll start to get worried.

Our conceding of late goals is a real issue, but it's only really been punished by good sides. It's more a worry for next season in my opinion.

Coventry away is probably the hardest fixture there is at the moment, and we went down to 10 men there and had a shot at 3 points.

We should've beaten 2nd in the league but for a poor end to the game / not taking chances. 

We're still far too good for the majority of teams we'll play. To be honest I think the squad knows this and against the better teams, that little drop off due to complacency can be all the difference.

• Like 3

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

Well they have done 21, they look invincible at the moment. 

Have a gander at their fixtures come the back end of the season. It's brutal! Come back to me at the end of the season and if they win all of those, they'll win the league and I'll say fair play they deserve it....can't see it unfortunately though!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

it's indicative of the team's spine though, when it comes down to the final stretch when the pressure mounts this isn't convincing at all

What isn't convincing?

Your claim is 'We don't turn up in the big games" you've not really defined why that particularly matters, more than turning up in the other 38 matches

And anyway we've literally got the 2nd highest points vs the Top 7, only 1 point behind Leeds.

3 minutes ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

3 points dropped at cov

Without the red card confidant that does happen.

3 points dropped at home to Leeds - can see us getting mauled at their place

What do you call a mauling? I am pretty confident this will be like the game at home and be by the odd goal either way. 

4 points bottled against Ipswich over both games

Two deflect long shots; I'm not sure that's really a bottle.

admittedly won at west brom away but was extremely close to dropping 2 points, and beat Southampton in their lowest form

West Brom have lost 2 games at home all season, beating Leeds and Ipswich; Southampton still have to get there. Any win there is a great result. 

Does the Southampton win count less for that reason? They have only lost 2 games at home, us and Ipswich. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

They'll keep it until the final 5-10 games and then let's see Brussell's ability, their run of games at the end of the season is horrifying. I think they get done on the line by Leeds.

dont get me wrong its a good run, but people need to remember some of the games within that run and teams they should have beaten but have drew with, like the Preston away when it finished 2-2, Southampton scored in the 96min to get a point

they drew at home to Rotherham too, yeah not to mention the Plymouth game when they got some lucky with the lines man giving an offside when it wasnt(to Plymouth) 

and as Ric said, their run in looks pretty sticky, plus they have Leeds on the last day, would love it for Southampton to need a win for top 2 and they lose, inject it into my veins 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Southampton are going to catch us and finish quite far ahead of us, I can not see when they next lose a game. Possibly when they play us if we actually decide to turn up to a big game for once. 

If Southampton win all of their remaining games they'd finish on 112 points. We'd need to win 15, draw 1, and lose 2 (potentially 15,2,1 if GD comes into play). I don't think this is a very likely scenario but we're more likely then Southampton to get 110+ points.

If Southampton keep up their form over this unbeaten run that would have them finish on 101 points. To match that we'd need 35 points from 18 games, roughly 2ppg, which we've been above over any decent sample size. Numerous ways we could get that, but the long and short of it is that 12 wins from 18 would be enough. We have 9 games against sides currently in the bottom half.

I think this unbeaten run may actually hurt Saints a bit now too. The talk is all about not getting beaten and setting records there. But the reason they haven't gained much on us is because they draw too much. If they wanted first, they'd need to convert those draws to wins, accepting that it might mean picking up some losses. I'm not sure they'll be fussed about this though, I think they'd be delighted with second, and that is where I think they'll finish. Probably on around 95 points.

57 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Points vs the Top 7 

Leeds 12 out of 24

Leicester 11 out of 24

Ipswich 11 out of 24

Southampton 10 out of 18

So we're not exactly outliers in this 'we dont turn up in big games' idea

Most of those were early on before Enzo banned the counter attack and forced us to recycle the ball all match and take no risks unless we're in our own third.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Most of those were early on before Enzo banned the counter attack and forced us to recycle the ball all match and take no risks unless we're in our own third.

:rolleyes: I guess they don't count then.

Jesus, we go 2 games without a win, in 2 of the most difficult fixtures of the entire season and people have such a crisis of confidence. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Well the 2 pts against Ipswich were in Jan and December.The 3 against WBA were in Dec so so 40% of our points against the current top 7 have come in the last 2 month.

Not sure the facts back up your point.

Also we won at WBA with a great counter attacking goal.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Banned the counter attack lollol

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

:rolleyes: I guess they don't count then.

Jesus, we go 2 games without a win, in 2 of the most difficult fixtures of the entire season and people have such a crisis of confidence. 

Which makes me laugh when they call the team bottlers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If we start dropping points in games like Swansea at home then I'll concede that top two is under threat.

With the way we've gone this season I think we could win our next 5. I'd take a draw at Leeds.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Without the red card confidant that does happen.

I'm not. What didn't do anything aside from get a penalty. Coventry had already looked threatening and hit the post. It's all hindsight, and nobody knows, but the game never seemed that clear cut. It was similar to Middlesbrough and we lost there with 11 men.

But it's killing teams off that concerns me. We seem to be happy with one goal and it's cost us to many times this season already. However if we start doing this in home games, against the lesser teams, then that's when I'll start to worry. We need to ensure we don't lose at Elland Road though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Points vs the Top 7 

Leeds 12 out of 24

Leicester 11 out of 24

Ipswich 11 out of 24

Southampton 10 out of 18

So we're not exactly outliers in this 'we dont turn up in big games' idea

If I'm being pedantic there we have the lowest points per game against the top 7 despite being the best of them. But it's all quite tight, and Southampton's is especially helped by the fact they've not played any of the top 5 away.

1 hour ago, lcfcsnow said:

That's not true is it. If anything we've become more counter attacking, the early part of the season bar Southampton away who played suicidal foot all against us, was so contained and rigid.

Since losing to Leeds and Middlesborough we regrouped in the international break and came back with a determination to press more from the front which naturally creates more counter attacks. A good chunk of our goals and largely decent results across that stretch have come from a mix of play.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not. What didn't do anything aside from get a penalty. Coventry had already looked threatening and hit the post. It's all hindsight, and nobody knows, but the game never seemed that clear cut. It was similar to Middlesbrough and we lost there with 11 men.

I thought until the sending-off it was a classical away performance: keep it tight and quieten the crowd; we restricted them to 2 shots on target and created the two big chances, the penalty and the Cascadi chance. 

Middlesbrough we couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo, 12 shots and 4 on target, you just have game like that.  

8 hours ago, Fox92 said:

But it's killing teams off that concerns me. We seem to be happy with one goal and it's cost us to many times this season already. However if we start doing this in home games, against the lesser teams, then that's when I'll start to worry. We need to ensure we don't lose at Elland Road though.

We have dropped points in 7 games all season, 3 of which we didn't score in, so that doesn't fit that. narrative, 1 we are down to 10 men.

So you have three games, Sheff W and Ipswich twice, hardly many; the only one that frustrated me was Sheff W.

Against Ipswich, we just looked knackered in both games late on.

The first one was due to a pretty tough festive period; the second one for me was due to the squad being test depth-wise, with no Ndidi, Casadi recalled, and no Fatawu, Daka or Nacho. Macteer, Vardy, Akgun, and Praet are all short of fitness due to a lack of minutes after being out with injuries. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

All this “but we have not been convincing and battered everyone 5-0” talk does my head in. Has everyone forgotten that run of 1-0 wins in 2016 that basically secured us the PL title?

Any win is 3 Pts, whether it is by one goal or five, against the bottom team or one of the rivals at the top. The record books will simply show the total points and final position at the end of the season. Nobody will be bothered about how we performed in any individual game.

any team can go on a sudden run of wins, or experience a collapse in form etc as we know only too well from our failure to secure top 4 from seemingly unassailable positions, but that under a different manager and a largely different squad.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

For reference Southampton just went 20 games unbeaten and took 48 points. 

We took 45 points out of our last 20 games. 

Southampton need to take 9 points more than us over the next 18 games to overtake us

Sure, it's possible, but it'd require Southampton keeping up this form for around 35 games and/or barely losing 

This is like politics it can be spinned easily.

As you said in last 20 games they only gained 3 points so surely it wont happen?

I will spin it in a different direction.

In the last 6 games they have gained 5 points, so that now makes it inevitable.

You see my point? :)

For interest, the sitting on the fence in middle last 12 form, has them gaining only 1 point.

When I look at form I tend to look at 6-12 games range, the last 6 isnt great, but I knew our January would be poor anyway.  Ndidi might be back in 2 weeks so I expect our last 12 form to hold.  Although many of these wins will probably be unconvincing.

Edited by Chrysalis