Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

11 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not. What didn't do anything aside from get a penalty. Coventry had already looked threatening and hit the post. It's all hindsight, and nobody knows, but the game never seemed that clear cut. It was similar to Middlesbrough and we lost there with 11 men.

But it's killing teams off that concerns me. We seem to be happy with one goal and it's cost us to many times this season already. However if we start doing this in home games, against the lesser teams, then that's when I'll start to worry. We need to ensure we don't lose at Elland Road though.

Even with the red card, we were still 1-0 up with 80 minutes played.  To think that with 11 players we'd have not increased that total or, at the very least, held on to it, is madness.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's pretty meaningless considering 5th and 6th have changed places with a lot of teams between 8th down to about 12th. 

I really want us to get the scalp of Leeds or Southampton (again) but truth be told, if they don't beat us then that's a worse result for them than it is us. 

The Ipswich points thrown away irk me but it'll lessen if we go and do what we've been so good at and far better than any other challenger, is be too strong for the rest of the league and pick up 12+ points from our next 5 league games.

Our record from 12th downwards is played 16 won 15 and drew 1. It is beyond words.

I understand this from the point of view of how late and lucky their goals were, and how we should have taken 6 points.  But realistically, it's two games less and four points missed out on in ipswich's pursuit of us.

So they should still be looked upon as positive results, especially if as it's also 2 of our hardest game done and dusted.

10 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Even with the red card, we were still 1-0 up with 80 minutes played.  To think that with 11 players we'd have not increased that total or, at the very least, held on to it, is madness.

It's not madness considering, as I said, who knows what would have happened. To think that we'd have won, or drawn, just because we've done it before is madness and/or arrogant.

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

It's not madness considering, as I said, who knows what would have happened. To think that we'd have won, or drawn, just because we've done it before is madness and/or arrogant.

Well, no - if you can accept that even with a player less we survived at 1-0 until the 80th minute then it's neither far fetched or arrogant to believe that had we had 11 men we would have had not only a better chance to have lasted that final 10 minutes, but would have been in a position to push on and improve on what we had already managed in the first half.  It was clear that by the end the extra work of having a player less was the difference.

Not to mention that coventry would not have benefitted from the psychological boost they clearly received following the red card.

For sure we don't know what might have happened, but it's reasonably fair to say that our position would have been very different and considerably stronger had we finished the game 11v11 - that's not madness, that's just basic common sense.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2024 at 09:44, Les-TA-Jon said:

For reference Southampton just went 20 games unbeaten and took 48 points. 

We took 45 points out of our last 20 games. 

Southampton need to take 9 points more than us over the next 18 games to overtake us

Sure, it's possible, but it'd require Southampton keeping up this form for around 35 games and/or barely losing 

Well we've taken 7 more points in the last 15 games so 2 more point with 3 extra games!

On 25/01/2024 at 19:58, Chrysalis said:

This is like politics it can be spinned easily.

As you said in last 20 games they only gained 3 points so surely it wont happen?

I will spin it in a different direction.

In the last 6 games they have gained 5 points, so that now makes it inevitable.

You see my point? :)

For interest, the sitting on the fence in middle last 12 form, has them gaining only 1 point.

When I look at form I tend to look at 6-12 games range, the last 6 isnt great, but I knew our January would be poor anyway.  Ndidi might be back in 2 weeks so I expect our last 12 form to hold.  Although many of these wins will probably be unconvincing.

The only form table worth looking at is the one at the end of the season.

It would be nice to finish first but, I'll settle for top 2 to be honest!

8 minutes ago, Saintquin said:

Well we've taken 7 more points in the last 15 games so 2 more point with 3 extra games!

What's the difference over the last 18 games?

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

He's finished

I liked him at QPR but he’s become a bit of a joke ever since he went on to join Rangers. 

Looks like he’s a talented coach but not a leader/manager material. 

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Rest of the competition is strengthening and we weaken.

It's going to be another top 4 failure again and we'll finish 3rd, and flop out the play offs 

Mate, how do you go in real life when something doesn’t go to plan? It’s not all end of the world stuff…

Who has significantly strengthened in the competition? How many players can you name in this league that get into our first 11?

Also, getting several players back fit and not one Player of note leaving, how are we weaker? 
Or is it unless we win by 4 goals every week it’s all doom and gloom?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's going to be another top 4 failure again and we'll finish 3rd, and flop out the play offs 

We are 100% bottlers, we go out of the top two we'll lose in the playoffs

Sickening stuff

3 hours ago, Saintquin said:

Did you say the same response to the posts with fairy tale outlook? ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Ipswich have took a mid range striker on loan from a prem team. Aside from that has anybody else strengthened? 

1 minute ago, Stopharage said:

As much as I want Maidstone to see this game out, lumbering Ipswich with a replay may well help us out. 

Losing to Maidstone shows where they’re at in terms of depth. This could have a Wycombe effect on them. 

• Like 1