Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

My mate asked me what i thought of our chances and my response was simply that any of about 14 teams could go up and i think that’s fair. 

I don’t think there’s a huge favourite mainly because you have to see whose left at clubs on deadline day but currently southampton are best placed.  but if this week they lose jwp, lavia, alcaraz suddenly it’s a harder task. 

But it’s easy to forget they have players like Aribo that will probably be a level above this div. plenty that are just not quite prem standard but should be better than this league

Leeds are just as messy as us.  So with the uncertainty of the 3 relegated clubs you’d think the settled sides in the league might be able to capitalize with fast starts. 

cov, bristol c, ipswich, boro and sunderland are all scaring me in particular. 

but  still believe, if our squad is motivated… even with who we have availble now… we should have enough to beat anyone on our day. It’s just a case of how quickly we adapt to marescas football

This troubles me. The question should be 'how quicky can Maresca's football be adapted for the championship?'

I've got a nagging Poalo Sousa vibe if there's some kinda overriding philosophy but no desire/pressure to win. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

First few weeks of the season could be very interesting, officials across all levels have been told in no uncertain terms that it's time to sort out time keeping, time wasting and player and coach behaviour.

Yep. (And about bloody time, too! :P )  At least I won't turn into the NFL, though, right? :P 

34 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

This troubles me. The question should be 'how quicky can Maresca's football be adapted for the championship?'

I've got a nagging Poalo Sousa vibe if there's some kinda overriding philosophy but no desire/pressure to win. 

I’m not so concerned about that, because maresca has capbable players… even if we are lacking 3/4 creative additions… we still have relatively decent options (assuming mavididi arrives) 

Sousa attempted to play that style with the wrong players. I can’t think of a single player at that time that was comfortable on the ball and all the signings were just random 

The championship has evolved it’s no longer only 451, 442 or 433 teams dabble in all sorts and as long as you commit to a philosophy it can be successful. i’d just say we are lacking another 3 weeks of preseason that we probably need. 

So those first few games….anything could happen 

If i’m Robbins, i’d be making sure my team come at us hard and fast because there’s no way that in this time certain players have learnt how to navigate consistent pressure.

Our real hope is that they give us to much respect and let us have the ball. If they are fearless, which i will expect them to be we will be in for a real test 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

First few weeks of the season could be very interesting, officials across all levels have been told in no uncertain terms that it's time to sort out time keeping, time wasting and player and coach behaviour.

Will it last or once a few teams and even someone like Sky kick-off about the amount of injury time they will revert back to type?

Even in the world cup the extra long period of time added on seemed to get cut down as the tournament went on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Will it last or once a few teams and even someone like Sky kick-off about the amount of injury time they will revert back to type?

Even in the world cup the extra long period of time added on seemed to get cut down as the tournament went on.

did it get cut back or did players start to waste less time? 

(that’s not an opinion btw, in just wondering if there was any attention paid to it) 

7 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

did it get cut back or did players start to waste less time? 

(that’s not an opinion btw, in just wondering if there was any attention paid to it) 

Maybe.

I guess that is the idea.

Players wise up to it and stop time wasting. 

Purely anecdotal, but my impression was that at the World Cup players did adapt their behaviour when 10-15 minutes was getting added on in early matches - there was a lot less time-wasting later on, I think.

It really shouldn't be that hard to eliminate most time-wasting - and this sounds like a good initiative.

I don't often watch women's football (purely habit, not judgment), but have watched a bit of the Women's World Cup - and the women seem to do very little time-wasting.

They also seem to do very little diving or rolling around faking injuries.... would be great if we could eliminate most of that bullshit from the men's game.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Has anyone ever had such a negative reaction like this to someone being made captain ?

And being given a new contract.

Most were hoping he’d be replaced or moved on !

https://twitter.com/WatfordFC/status/1685009731625353216

Would have thought Livermore would have been a better choice, although I know he has only just joined.

Don't get the shouts for Southampton. Worse than us last year and although I don't think Martin is a bad appointment, I also don't think he's brilliant. 

I'd expect a late play off push but think they may struggle early doors 

1 hour ago, Skid_1884 said:

Would have thought Livermore would have been a better choice, although I know he has only just joined.

Yes he is a vice captain anyway.

Mind you our fans have written him off as past it and old so doubt he would have been popular either .

TBH I am not sure who would be !

Probably Ryan Porteous as they like his commitment and desire .

Well until he has a bad game or two. 

Edited by Super_horns

8 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Don't get the shouts for Southampton. Worse than us last year and although I don't think Martin is a bad appointment, I also don't think he's brilliant. 

I'd expect a late play off push but think they may struggle early doors 

They did do the double over us though….

They have probably also accepted themselves as a Championship club and will knuckle down. Our club still lives in denial and from board and ownership level at least, are treating the league with disrespect already. 

I fancy Southampton to the finish comfortably ahead of us. Whether we can still go up depend if Maresca and the team can block out the shit from above!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

That’s the kind of friendly we should have had this weekend, against a European top 5 league opposition at the KP. But nope, still in Asia…..

We're playing Liverpool, who play in a top 4 European league to be fair. But yeah it's not at home.

Edited by ealingfox

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

They did do the double over us though….

They have probably also accepted themselves as a Championship club and will knuckle down. Our club still lives in denial and from board and ownership level at least, are treating the league with disrespect already. 

I fancy Southampton to the finish comfortably ahead of us. Whether we can still go up depend if Maresca and the team can block out the shit from above!

Why? I’m genuinely interested. 

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

We're playing Liverpool, who play in a top 4 European league to be fair. But yeah it's not at home.

Yeah I meant at home. It’s kind of a lower league thing to do, finish pre-season at home to a larger team.

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Why? I’m genuinely interested. 

Gut feeling. Same gut feeling that had me using the r word as early as October 2021 (in discussion with a Newcastle supporting mate as their takeover had gone through).

They just seem more….accepting of their position. I’m just very uncomfortable with the attitude coming from our club. Their seems many higher up that appear to think we just need to turn up and the other teams owe it to us because of our previous achievements…

• Like 2

At this stage, I don't think we can be serious promotion contenders. It's lazy assumptions because we were a PL team and have raised £80m in transfer fees. Our squad is all over the gaff right now and Maresca is a huge unknown. 

More stable and stronger teams than us currently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2023 at 15:51, LcFc_Smiv said:

I’ll believe it when I see it…