Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

15 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Ipswich last 10 games:

2 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats. 

Should’ve been even worse to be fair they got lucky on more than one occasion. 

bare in mind a couple of them where in the FA Cup, where they beat AFC Wimbledon then lost to Maidstone

but they are certainly on a wobble

19 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

They came up from league 1 last year. They have no right to even be in the top half. If it was Plymouth doing this there wouldn't be half the amount of people crying about it. Hope they steal second place.

Nothing like Plymouth doing it.

At the start of the season Ipswich had comfortably a top 10 budget and wage expenditure.

After their January they now have the 6th biggest wage expenditure.

Theyve done very well indeed, but not working miracles like many think. They spent in league one and have spent in the championship. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Dementia is such a sad illness in older age.😪

IMG_20240203_174330.jpg

How this should have been written:

"Ex-Southampton manager, Harry Redknapp, thinks Southampton can still win the Championship this season.

"Redknapp, a huge Arsenal as a child – and who has hated Leicester City ever since they 'stole' the Premier League title which was 'rightfully Arsenal's' in 2015-16 – would also love to see Leicester City stumble and give Leeds United a chance of finishing in the top two."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HitchinFox said:

How this should have been written:

"Ex-Southampton manager, Harry Redknapp, thinks Southampton can still win the Championship this season.

"Redknapp, a huge Arsenal as a child – and who has hated Leicester City ever since they 'stole' the Premier League title which was 'rightfully Arsenal's' in 2015-16 – would also love to see Leicester City stumble and give Leeds United a chance of finishing in the top two."

The mans been sniffing too many of my underwear 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Dementia is such a sad illness in older age.😪

IMG_20240203_174330.jpg

He just says they are a danger and us and Southampton may need to look over our shoulders

Click bait article

2 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

is there some sort of bug in this league where southampton are just playing rotherham and huddersfield every week? when do they start playing half decent sides lol 

Looking at their fixtures they have left I can only see 2 tough games remaining for them...Us and Leeds on the last day of the season!!

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

Looking at their fixtures they have left I can only see 2 tough games remaining for them...Us and Leeds on the last day of the season!!

They have to play West Brom and Hull , they will drop points at some point.

Figured this isn't really a 'crazy stat' as much as just an 'opposition watch' so probably fits better in this thread than over there:

On 31/01/2024 at 17:33, Xen said:

Update on this after a few more games (that haven't quite gone how we'd have hoped).

image.thumb.png.74743249a58e6f865e85cf6f6179188e.png

On the left is our form and projected final points, if we matched each of the top 6's performance so far (a reasonable expectation, you'd think!). Then, what PPG each of those teams would need for the remainder of the season in order to surpass us.

Nice to see that even if we were to drop off massively to WBA's season-form for our remaining 17 games (W9, D1, L7), we'd still make automatics if the others kept up their current pace.

Figured I'd do another update as Ipswich dropping points today (and one fewer game remaining) has made a good difference to what might be required. 

Notably, even if we were to drop to Hull's PPG, every side would have to improve on their current PPG in order to catch us, and only Southampton would even come close at their current PPG.

Plus if we maintain our current form until the end of the season, automatic promotion is mathematically guaranteed (you'd hope so, with 110 points! But prior to today, Ipswich and Southampton could have both theoretically caught us even at that total).

image.png.ee56fc14ffdbbf754409ec5fba9c1a1d.png

Note for making comparisons; as I'm updating this I'm keeping it in league order, so rows/columns might shuffle about slightly and I'm only showing the current top 6 at the time.