Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

I read somewhere on twitter than the number of points we have now, was enough for a play off spot after 46 games last season.

The quality in the top 4 has been astonishing.

But is also worrying for the EFL. The 3 clubs have basically dominated the league. Really shows the power of prem money and how that needs to be managed and drop fed down more 

We’re only 6 wins away from matching Burnley’s total wins from last season.

Also won more games (22) than West Brom did in 19/20 when they finished 2nd. 

Just an unreal standard. 

What you are seeing is the consequence of 2 possibly 3 teams that under achieved last season to get relegated. Very rare do all 3 teams that came up the year before or even the ones that came up the year before that not be in the relegation spots.

It's been a very strong season for us all and Ipswich.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What you are seeing is the consequence of 2 possibly 3 teams that under achieved last season to get relegated. Very rare do all 3 teams that came up the year before or even the ones that came up the year before that not be in the relegation spots.

It's been a very strong season for us all and Ipswich.

I can see us Leeds and Southampton this second half of the season absolutely motoring a head and I predict at the end of the season there will be a gap from 3rd to someone like Ipswich in 4th of over 15 points.

We could see the three of us all over 100 points but it's crazy that one of the teams, I have a feeling it'll be Southampton, will have had an unbelievable year but see themselves in the lottery of the playoffs.

Yes, the third team does of course have a chance of going up via the playoffs but the playoffs have a funny way of levelling everyone so it'll be an exciting watch this year no doubt, especially (finger crossed) us well out of the way watching stress free. 

I'm really interested to see, if say Southampton, have an amazing season, finish third, mess up the playoffs to see how they react next year? Do they have to sell in the summer, do they struggle next year even if keeping the squad? It'll be a good case study. 

What a league the Championship is, you'd think anyone down to say Bristol City has a chance of 6th and could find themselves in the Premier League over one of the big three. 

Edited by Collymore

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

I can see us Leeds and Southampton this second half of the season absolutely motoring a head and I predict at the end of the season there will be a gap from 3rd to someone like Ipswich in 4th over 15 points.

We could see the three of us all over 100 points but it's crazy that one of the teams, I have a feeling it'll be Southampton, will have had an unbelievable year but see themselves in the lottery of the playoffs.

Yes, the third team does of course have a chance of going up via the playoffs but the playoffs have a funny way of levelling everyone so it'll be an exciting watch this year no doubt, especially (finger crossed) us well out of the way watching stress free. 

I'm really interested to see, if say Southampton, have an amazing season, finish third, mess up the playoffs to see how they react next year? Do they have to sell in the summer, do they struggle next year even if keeping the squad? It'll be a good case study. 

What a league the Championship is, you'd think anyone down to say Bristol City has a chance of 6th and could find themselves in the Premier League over one of the big three. 

Leicester, Southampton and Leeds have been able to keep strong squads relative to the rest of the Championship. If one of the 3 don't go up, then the one that doesn't faces a torrid time as you will see the best players having to be sold and the club will have to plan for a longer spell in the lower league. Look at Norwich and Watford who have settled down here with apparent ease. 

• Like 2

About to watch Sunderland v Middlesbrough game, these are two massive clubs at this level, and here we are in early Feb and I don’t see any way even of them can get anywhere near us this season. 
Hoping for a decent game, but got 1-1 written all over it.

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

About to watch Sunderland v Middlesbrough game, these are two massive clubs at this level, and here we are in early Feb and I don’t see any way even of them can get anywhere near us this season. 

The 32 point gap to Boro already told me this! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

It's not a great return, of course. But they've played us twice and Leeds in that 8 game block. And lost their main striker at the start of that period too.

I think they will be in the playoffs now, which is a great season overall. They massively overachieved for the first half of the season but I wouldn't discount them in the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

I read somewhere on twitter than the number of points we have now, was enough for a play off spot after 46 games last season.

The quality in the top 4 has been astonishing.

Last season Sunderland were 6th on 69 points, Cov 5th on 70 points, Boro 4th 75 points. The season before 5th and 6th finished on 75 points.

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Looks a bit optimistic maybe. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I watched a bit of Ipswich v Preston yesterday. They certainly have quite a lot of spirit in the team that has carried them a long way. They came back from 3 down and nearly drew. It was the same with the two games against us that they should have lost. 

They’ll win more than they lose in the remaining games so I wouldn’t discount them completely. We’re all just guessing at this point, but I’m expecting them to fall just short and end up in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

Luke Thomas warning the Boro bench as backup to their first choice LB.. Not going to get much game time is he? 

Give him a chance to force his way in to the team!