Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

17 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Looks up the team he supports….Coventry. These ****ers lost yesterday and I’ve seen some many comments which are pot kettle black from our result 

Didn't they celebrate like crazy only a few weeks ago!

59 minutes ago, MPH said:

Just read a stat that says Ipswich have only won 1 game in the last 8 championship games. Has the Tractor ran out of steam? It’s a shame really as everyone likes a fairytale. ( or at least a team that stops Leeds getting promoted!)

Yeah 1 win in 8, in the league. 1 from 9, including the Maidstone cup defeat

image.png.436b897d2f14dd6c487c278e23d907fa.png

They've dropped down to 1.3 points per game over the last 10 games.

image.png.a933dc9765a9fd2c7eadeaebf4f41ccc.png

2 hours ago, MPH said:

Just read a stat that says Ipswich have only won 1 game in the last 8 championship games. Has the Tractor ran out of steam? It’s a shame really as everyone likes a fairytale. ( or at least a team that stops Leeds getting promoted!)

If us and Southampton take the top 2 spots, it would be typical for one of the sides in 5th/6th to win the play offs and stop Leeds getting promoted anyway…fingers crossed anyway!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

If us and Southampton take the top 2 spots, it would be typical for one of the sides in 5th/6th to win the play offs and stop Leeds getting promoted anyway…fingers crossed anyway!

personally think that with the business Hull have done, there’s not a lot between them and leeds in terms of quality.  Could be very interesting. 

Leeds

Ipswich 
Hull

Cov

Thats how I see it playing out come the end of the campaign.  I’ve never really seen what others have seen with west brom. Well managed but lacking something 

Edited by Lambert09

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I found this. I haven't found a longer data set (yet)...

Screenshot_20240205_171525_Samsung Internet.jpg

The run of games in late February through to March are the concern for me. 

Leeds

QPR

Sunderland

Hull

Southampton

If we can pick up a minimum of 8 points from those five fixtures then I think we should promoted. If we pick up fewer then the chances are we will be letting the chasing teams back into it. It's more testament to the form of Leeds abd Southampton as much as anything. It's going to take an obscene points tally to go up automatically this season.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

personally think that with the business Hull have done, there’s not a lot between them and leeds in terms of quality.  Could be very interesting. 

Leeds

Ipswich 
Hull

Cov

Thats how I see it playing out come the end of the campaign.  I’ve never really seen what others have seen with west brom. Well managed but lacking something 

I thought Hull had a tidy looking squad at the start of the season and they have added well to it so I agree. A good test is that after years away, whilst many of us try to keep in touch with the championship, many of the clubs have a lot of players I hadn’t really heard off but Hull stood out (aside from the obvious names) had most of the side jump off the page to me. I reckon they are a good shout.

59 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

I found this. I haven't found a longer data set (yet)...

Screenshot_20240205_171525_Samsung Internet.jpg

Interesting! If you had asked me what the most likely finishing position to win the playoffs was I’d have said 5th for some reason. Maybe that’s going back a few years and there being a run of those as this is the last 10 years I guess.

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule Ipswich out just yet, the signing of Kieffer Moore and the way they play may well kick start them again. I think they're up against it to stick with the 3 of us but you never know. They'll get 25-30 points between now and the end of the season I reckon.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Leeds

QPR

Sunderland

Hull

Southampton

If we can pick up a minimum of 8 points from those five fixtures then I think we should promoted. If we pick up fewer then the chances are we will be letting the chasing teams back into it. It's more testament to the form of Leeds abd Southampton as much as anything. It's going to take an obscene points tally to go up automatically this season.  

QPR and Sunderland should be nailed on wins at this point. 

If we can win every game up until the Leeds game too, then that takes the pressure off massively. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I thought Hull had a tidy looking squad at the start of the season and they have added well to it so I agree. A good test is that after years away, whilst many of us try to keep in touch with the championship, many of the clubs have a lot of players I hadn’t really heard off but Hull stood out (aside from the obvious names) had most of the side jump off the page to me. I reckon they are a good shout.

that front 4 is close to premier league level. 

Wouldn’t say no to any of them here to be honest. Zaroury obviously hasn’t stepped up at burnley but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t. 

Philogene is an unreal talent 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I wouldn't rule Ipswich out just yet, the signing of Kieffer Moore and the way they play may well kick start them again. I think they're up against it to stick with the 3 of us but you never know. They'll get 25-30 points between now and the end of the season I reckon.

I agree they shouldn't be ruled out yet. However, if they pick up 25-30points between now and the end of the season, that will only be enough for fourth place. They need to pick up 35 points as a minimum. 

Pretty confident we hit 100+ 

Also pretty confident no one else does.

We need 1.75 point per game.

Southampton need 2.29 

Leeds 2.5

Ipswich 2.41 

People will harp on about Southampton form but it will break at some point.

Edited by coolhandfox

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Leeds

QPR

Sunderland

Hull

Southampton

With you on this, get pass that spell and it will dictate how much work we’ve got to do. 

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Southampton need 2.29 

Leeds 2.5

Ipswich 2.41 

Leeds have a very favourable run-in. Apart from Coventry their remaining games against the top 8 are all at home where they have been formidable. If we can get a point at Leeds it would be big. A win would be enormous. In order for Leeds to hit 100 points they'd need to go unbeaten for the rest of the season and win 12. I can actually see them winning 12 of their remaining games, but they may come a cropper in one or two games. 

Southampton still have to play West Brom, Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds away from home but their recent form has been outstanding. When I've watched then recently they've looked recently they've looked the complete package.

I'm not ruling Ipswich out just yet. If they fail to beat West Brom at the weekend then I think it's going to be difficult for them. 

One thing I'm certain of is that the 90 points, which is the normal guarantee of promotion will not be enough this season. I think that all of the top four will reach that. I think it will take a minimum of 95 points. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I agree they shouldn't be ruled out yet. However, if they pick up 25-30points between now and the end of the season, that will only be enough for fourth place. They need to pick up 35 points as a minimum. 

Yeah sorry, I meant that's what they'll get as a minimum.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Southampton need 2.29 

Leeds 2.5

Ipswich 2.41 

A couple of bad games for Leeds or Ipswich will essentially rule them out of catching us, aslong as our form doesn't collapse.

If we win the next 3, it's going to take something special and us to completely collapse to stop us, I just can't see it happening (providing we win the next 3).

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

With you on this, get pass that spell and it will dictate how much work we’ve got to do. 

Ideally need a minimum of what we got in the reverse fixtures, although I can't bare losing to Leeds again.

9 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Would kill the league I think. Without playoffs, about 80% of the league would have nothing to play for from about November and attendances would plummet. 

I get that. I just think from a sporting perspective it would be fairer that the final promotion spot is determined by performance over 46 league games rather than being decided in one off games. 

AsI said, the play-offs is far more exciting though. Even when we were doing well in the Premier league I loved watching the championship play-off games. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Would kill the league I think. Without playoffs, about 80% of the league would have nothing to play for from about November and attendances would plummet. 

Play-off games make the league exciting .. Potentially the teams currently in 7th through 12th are still in the race for a spot.

Just now, Wymsey said:

Has has it been a poor league this season?

I wouldn’t say so it’s just our quality and Southampton / Leeds and also Ipswich is just far better than this level, and the results show it.