Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Has has it been a poor league this season?

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I wouldn’t say so it’s just our quality and Southampton / Leeds and also Ipswich is just far better than this level, and the results show it.

As someone else said elsewhere (sorry I forget who, but it was a good point), the teams that came down really shouldn't have... They had good players, but bad management.

Come down, kept most of their players, fresh start... Boom! They're playing like the mid-table Premier League teams they should have been last season.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

If you were a Ipswich fan pre season you would have taken 4th spot behind the relegated teams from the premier league. The job Kieran McKenna has done there is really commendable.

I thought they'd do well, but not this well. I thought they'd be like what Bournemouth were the last time we were in the championship. They were a newly promoted side that finished just outside the play-offs playing good football under a young manager but you could see that they were a club on the up that looked like they were on the up. I think Ipswich will finish on 90+ points this season.

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

QPR and Sunderland should be nailed on wins at this point. 

If we can win every game up until the Leeds game too, then that takes the pressure off massively. 

I don’t think Sunderland away will be nailed on, I think they will hit a bit of form 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Leeds have a very favourable run-in. Apart from Coventry their remaining games against the top 8 are all at home where they have been formidable. If we can get a point at Leeds it would be big. A win would be enormous. In order for Leeds to hit 100 points they'd need to go unbeaten for the rest of the season and win 12. I can actually see them winning 12 of their remaining games, but they may come a cropper in one or two games. 

Southampton still have to play West Brom, Ipswich, Leicester and Leeds away from home but their recent form has been outstanding. When I've watched then recently they've looked recently they've looked the complete package.

I'm not ruling Ipswich out just yet. If they fail to beat West Brom at the weekend then I think it's going to be difficult for them. 

One thing I'm certain of is that the 90 points, which is the normal guarantee of promotion will not be enough this season. I think that all of the top four will reach that. I think it will take a minimum of 95 points. 

95 point only see us need 1.43 pts per game.

20 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Certainly the strongest it's been at the top. Some very poor sides at the bottom though. 

That's what I was thinking.

Same points available between all teams each season, so if the top 3/4 are all on big points, then that means collectively the rest of the league are worse off.

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

95 point only see us need 1.43 pts per game.

I'm aware. I think that's the bare minimum we will need though. Wouldn't be surprised if we need more. It's a bit sickening when you consider that Hull were promoted on 79 points in 2013 and West Brom were promoted on 80 points in 2020. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

That's what I was thinking.

Same points available between all teams each season, so if the top 3/4 are all on big points, then that means collectively the rest of the league are worse off.

I swear you saw far more shocks last time we were in the championship. In that season we lost away at Doncaster, drew at home against Yeovil, lost away at Charlton and drew away at Blackpool, all of whom finished in the bottom six. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

I thought they'd do well, but not this well. I thought they'd be like what Bournemouth were the last time we were in the championship. They were a newly promoted side that finished just outside the play-offs playing good football under a young manager but you could see that they were a club on the up that looked like they were on the up. I think Ipswich will finish on 90+ points this season.

I still reckon will get promoted with us…

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I swear you saw far more shocks last time we were in the championship. In that season we lost away at Doncaster, drew at home against Yeovil, lost away at Charlton and drew away at Blackpool, all of whom finished in the bottom six. 

The standard is dreadful this season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Certainly the strongest it's been at the top. Some very poor sides at the bottom though. 

It's an obvious thing to say but sides at the bottom have never been particularly good though? In ourselves, Southampton, Leeds and Ipswich you have four phenomenal sides at this level. The rung below you have Hull, WBA, Cov, Sunderland, Norwich who are all very capable, borderline good. Even in the midtable pack there are players like Whittaker, Smzodics, Stansfield, Azaz who are all pretty handy.

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

There are plenty of examples this season of sides at the bottom of the table taking points off the sides at the top.

7 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

As someone else said elsewhere (sorry I forget who, but it was a good point), the teams that came down really shouldn't have... They had good players, but bad management.

Come down, kept most of their players, fresh start... Boom! They're playing like the mid-table Premier League teams they should have been last season.

I think the big difference this year, is that not only have the teams that came down done better at sorting themselves out, but the teams that went up aren't too great either.  There have been few clubs that have escaped the yo-yo by staying up - mainly they stay down (Huddersfield/Cardiff/Watford/Norwich etc.), with clubs like Burnley/Sheffield Utd/Fulham being part of the yo-yo over time.

11 hours ago, Sly said:

The top 4 are making a mockery of this being the “toughest league in the world”.

Saying that, we are going to see some major point swings at some points.

Week Leicester Southampton Leeds Ipswich
30   Huddlesfield   West Brom
31 Watford Bristol Rotherham Millwall
32 Sheffield Wed West Brom Swansea Swansea
33 Boro Hull Plymouth Rotherham
34 Leeds Millwall Leicester Birmingham
35 QPR Birmingham Huddlesfield Plymouth
36 Sunderland Preston Stoke Bristol
37 Hull Sunderland Sheffield Wed Cardiff
38 Southampton Leicester Millwall Sheffield Wed
39 Bristol Middlesborough Watford Blackburn
40 Norwich Ipswich Hull Southampton
41 Birmingham Blackburn Coventry Norwich
42 Millwall Coventry Sunderland Watford
43 Plymouth Watford Blackburn Boro
44 West Brom Cardiff Boro Coventry
45 Preston Stoke QPR Hull
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield

To put it into context on the run ins,  based on the remaining fixtures, the average team place each club needs to play is:

Leicester - 12th

Southampton - 11th

Leeds - 14th

Ipswich - 14th

I can see the gap closing between us and Southampton for matches 30-38 and then us pulling away again

13 hours ago, Sly said:

The top 4 are making a mockery of this being the “toughest league in the world”.

Saying that, we are going to see some major point swings at some points.

Week Leicester Southampton Leeds Ipswich
30   Huddlesfield   West Brom
31 Watford Bristol Rotherham Millwall
32 Sheffield Wed West Brom Swansea Swansea
33 Boro Hull Plymouth Rotherham
34 Leeds Millwall Leicester Birmingham
35 QPR Birmingham Huddlesfield Plymouth
36 Sunderland Preston Stoke Bristol
37 Hull Sunderland Sheffield Wed Cardiff
38 Southampton Leicester Millwall Sheffield Wed
39 Bristol Middlesborough Watford Blackburn
40 Norwich Ipswich Hull Southampton
41 Birmingham Blackburn Coventry Norwich
42 Millwall Coventry Sunderland Watford
43 Plymouth Watford Blackburn Boro
44 West Brom Cardiff Boro Coventry
45 Preston Stoke QPR Hull
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield

To put it into context on the run ins,  based on the remaining fixtures, the average team place each club needs to play is:

Leicester - 12th

Southampton - 11th

Leeds - 14th

Ipswich - 14th

That 34-38 game cluster for us makes me nervous. 

4 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

That 34-38 game cluster for us makes me nervous. 

But even if, say, we get 2 wins and a draw from  hull, qpr, sunderland and lose to  southampton and leeds, that's still 1.4 points per game - which amount, even if it was the standard for the entire rest of the season, would still get us to 94 points.

In fact even if we take zero points from those five games - to get the 23 points needed to get us to 95 from the other 11 games is still only a fraction over 2 points per game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

But even if, say, we get 2 wins and a draw from  hull, qpr, sunderland and lose to  southampton and leeds, that's still 1.4 points per game - which amount, even if it was the standard for the entire rest of the season, would still get us to 94 points.

In fact even if we take zero points from those five games - to get the 23 points needed to get us to 95 from the other 11 games is still only a fraction over 2 points per game.

1/11 😄