Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Reading were 1 point ahead of where we are now at the same point in their record breaking season, they won game 32 & 33 and then weirdly only managed 10 points from their following 7 games. Really hope we can keep this pace up! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Langston said:

Bamford looks like he's got to tell his constituents they won't be able to afford to put the heating on this winter, proper twat.

Why is he a twat? He’s actually a very nice lad.

• Like 3

I think we will lose 2 more games this season.  If fact, then we should be Champions. We have a buffer as insurance for the next blip.

Really need Southampton to have a blip now.

Looks like Ipswich must settle for the play-offs now as they have choked to an extent  that would make Spuds envious.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Koke said:

It's crazy we are so superior to everybody else but we haven't got a player in the top 8 of the scoring charts.  Mavididi & KDH are both 9th top scorers. 66 goals in 31 games and our highest scorer got 10 goals. 

That's quite a good sign really even if it is surprising. I always thought in 2019/20 we are overly reliant on Vardy's goals and when they slowed down we did, whereas here you seem to have consistent goals from all over the pitch - sign of a good side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack1993 said:

Reading were 1 point ahead of where we are now at the same point in their record breaking season, they won game 32 & 33 and then weirdly only managed 10 points from their following 7 games. Really hope we can keep this pace up! 

I think Leeds / Saints form is likely to keep us focused. For how many points we have we really ought to be about 18-20 clear of 3rd and I'm not exaggerating. I'd favour us to get the record now. We're too good against anybody below about 10th.

• Like 1

Do suspect that games will continue to be a struggle moving forward if Watford is any form of benchmark, as it feels like we will be a 'scalp' for the remainder of the season, perhaps even more so as the seasons moves to completion.

Week Leicester Southampton Leeds Ipswich
31   Bristol   Millwall
32 Sheffield Wed West Brom Swansea Swansea
33 Middlesborough Hull Plymouth Rotherham
34 Leeds Millwall Leicester Birmingham
35 QPR Birmingham Huddlesfield Plymouth
36 Sunderland Preston Stoke Bristol
37 Hull Sunderland Sheffield Wed Cardiff
38 Southampton Leicester Millwall Sheffield Wed
39 Bristol Middlesborough Watford Blackburn
40 Norwich Ipswich Hull Southampton
41 Birmingham Blackburn Coventry Norwich
42 Millwall Coventry Sunderland Watford
43 Plymouth Watford Blackburn Middlesborough
44 West Brom Cardiff Middlesborough Coventry
45 Preston Stoke QPR Hull
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield

Average position of the teams the top 4 play for the rest of the season updated: 

Leicester - 12th

Southampton - 11th

Leeds - 13th

Ipswich - 14th

You’d think Ipswich would start to find some form again looking at the next games.

Southampton have a trickier set of fixtures coming up, so that will be interesting. 

Outside of the game against us, you wouldn’t argue against Leeds winning the majority of their next 8 games. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Midlands_tractor said:

I don’t really agree with Ipswich being overly lucky, we might score more late deflected goals than Leicester do but that’s probably because we’re having to push for a goal late in the game more than you are combined with a good attitude to keep going till the whistle. In contrast we haven’t had a single penalty this year and have been subject to the same amount of bad luck/ poor decisions as everyone else. 
overall we are above where I thought we would be (9th) and will probably lose in the playoffs to Leeds/wba but I’m confident that we can regroup and go again next year without three ridiculously consistent teams around!

Good luck for the last stretch but I don’t think you will need it and for what it’s worth I enjoy watching maresca ball 

I don’t see McKenna sticking around he will be off to Palace / Brighton in the summer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Midlands_tractor said:

I don’t really agree with Ipswich being overly lucky, we might score more late deflected goals than Leicester do but that’s probably because we’re having to push for a goal late in the game more than you are combined with a good attitude to keep going till the whistle. In contrast we haven’t had a single penalty this year and have been subject to the same amount of bad luck/ poor decisions as everyone else. 
overall we are above where I thought we would be (9th) and will probably lose in the playoffs to Leeds/wba but I’m confident that we can regroup and go again next year without three ridiculously consistent teams around!

Good luck for the last stretch but I don’t think you will need it and for what it’s worth I enjoy watching maresca ball 

there is a fair few instances this season where youve got to admit there is a massive amount of luck there

but it all evens itself out during the season

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

That's quite a good sign really even if it is surprising. I always thought in 2019/20 we are overly reliant on Vardy's goals and when they slowed down we did, whereas here you seem to have consistent goals from all over the pitch - sign of a good side.

We massively outperformed xg in the first half of 19/20 if I remember correctly then corrected ourselves in the second half of the season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sly said:
31   Bristol   Millwall

Average position of the teams the top 4 play for the rest of the season updated: 

Leicester - 12th

Southampton - 11th

Leeds - 13th

Ipswich - 14th

You’d think Ipswich would start to find some form again looking at the next games.

Southampton have a trickier set of fixtures coming up, so that will be interesting. 

Outside of the game against us, you wouldn’t argue against Leeds winning the majority of their next 8 games. 

Thanks for all this.

On paper I'd say we have the most difficult last 15 games of the top 4. We have to go away to Leeds, Sunderland and Hull all of which will be difficult games we could easily lose.

One of the key points we're not really talking about is when you have to play who. By which I mean especially in the final 6/7 games of the season. Sides in danger of relegation often pick up surprising results at the tail end of the campaign as they fight for survival whilst those who can still make the play-offs strive that extra bit in matches. The team which has to play the most "on the beach" teams with not much to play for who may have the biggest advantage.

Right now I'd say this will go down to the last couple of games and it really does look likely 103 point at least could be required for promotion. 

I'd not rule Ipswich out yet either. They really fight hard for a result and their form could turn yet especially with a relatively straightforward run of fixtures coming up.

Edited by reynard

1 minute ago, reynard said:

On paper I'd say we have the most difficult last 15 games of the top 4. We have to go away to Leeds, Sunderland and Hull all of which will be difficult games we could easily lose.

Southampton are away to us, Ipswich and Leeds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Ipswich will have an interesting summer if they don't go up, McKenna is going to be linked to any mid to lower half Premier League job that becomes available and probably Everton if they go down and Dyche goes. 

everton wouldnt be able to afford his buyout clause

they are in deep shit money wise still

3 hours ago, Sly said:
31   Bristol   Millwall

Leicester - 12th

Southampton - 11th

Leeds - 13th

Ipswich - 14th

Interesting stuff.

The games against Leeds and Southampton are 50/50 games that could go either way but, currently, are much more ‘must win’ for them than they are us.

In some ways it’s the “banana skin” games I fear more. Win all of those and we’re virtually there and just try and avoid defeat in the six pointers. 

• Like 1