Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes but I'd want at least 102 points going in to that final game, so 2 points a game gets us to 105 and we won't be caught.

2 points a game has to be the target.

3 sets of 5 games left.

3 wins, a draw and a loss from each does it.

Wins against Sheff Wed, Boro & QPR, draw with Sunderland, lose to Leeds

Wins against Bristol, Norwich and Brum, Draw with Hull, Lose to Saints.

Wins against Milwall, Preston & Blackburn, draw with Plymouth, lose to West Brom.

Job Done.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LVFox said:

3 sets of 5 games left.

Wins against Milwall, Preston & Blackburn, draw with Plymouth, lose to West Brom.

Job Done.

When you put it like that it’s very simple lol 

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2024 at 16:14, Danizen said:

It's a backhanded compliment. 

Before this season, the established narrative was that the Championship is nails to get out of and that it chews up and spits out the bigger clubs that get relegated. 

This season, the relegated clubs have shot that to bits so there's going to be a lot of resentment. 

The people that make that podcast have to pander to that for the numbers.

There is a gap issue in the championship but the parachute payments arent the issue.  So I do agree with you.

The issue is of course EPL in itself has much more TV money, so EPL clubs can build much more expensive squads, and of course clubs getting relegated come down with these squads. Naturally clubs who have been in the EPL for a while will come down with stronger squads as they have been built up with multiple years of EPL money, us, Leeds, and Southampton are all multi year EPL clubs.

The parachute money in reality just prevents these clubs from folding, as you pointed out the 3 clubs coming down largely funded from player sales.  This is because relegated clubs are coming down with a bloated wage bill, even factoring in relegation clauses.

The solution is likely to reform the FFP rules, if there was less or no dependency on turnover then wealthier clubs could invest in better quality squads.  The problems that plague the EPL right now with FFP's dependency on turnover is actually fuelling the same issue in the championship.

I also think whoever negotiates the tv packages in the championship is doing a very bad job as surely its valued more than what the package currently is.

Also if clubs get promoted when they were entitled to further parachute payments (will be the case for us with 2 more years of parachute payments), those payments stay in the EFL, split amongst all the non parachute clubs.  The entire EFL structure has a parachute payment system, and if someone is relegated from league 2, they get to keep 100% of the solidarity payment.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

I'm conflicted about Cov ending up in the playoffs in the off chance they win them. On the one hand, guarantees a local derby next season, and bins off one of Southampton or Leeds coming straight back up too.

But at the same time, it's COV, man. As much as I want to avenge last month, I'd also quite happily never have to go to that racist, tragedy-mocking cesspit again, and the off chance they actually end up staying up and getting Prem revenues makes me feel a bit ill. 

• Like 2

For those still anxious about the chasing pack. Remember when we won the Prem, Spurs couldn't close the 5 point gap week on week. That was a much tougher league with far superior opposition. I just can't see us letting a 12 point lead slip over 15 games to ensure promotion.

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

It will be all over before the final game.

In Southampton unbeaten run of 22 games the haven't caught us up by a single point, if they we their game in hand they have made up 3 point in 23 matches.

In the same time period Leed have fallen 4 more point behind.

Have some faith man.

It's not that I don't have faith we'll win the league, I'm just not anticipating Leeds and Southampton not to get very close to / over 100 points. We know what we have to do. 

4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

For those still anxious about the chasing pack. Remember when we won the Prem, Spurs couldn't close the 5 point gap week on week. That was a much tougher league with far superior opposition. I just can't see us letting a 12 point lead slip over 15 games to ensure promotion.

Also, remember as Leeds and Southampton have to play each, at least one will drop at least two points. So that’s a 14 point gap to one of them. Potentially as good as 15 points with the GD.

4 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Also, remember as Leeds and Southampton have to play each, at least one will drop at least two points. So that’s a 14 point gap to one of them. Potentially as good as 15 points with the GD.

True, although Southampton may cut the gap to 8 points with their game in hand.

43 minutes ago, LVFox said:

3 sets of 5 games left.

Job Done.

Why do we have to lose against our closest rivals.

We played Ipswich and gave away 2 late goals. We lost at home to Leeds fair enough but we beat saints away.

I would look to beat them both to hopefully cement top spot. 

38 points guarantees top spot.

Hopefully this will be more than the real number required.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Motty said:

Why do we have to lose against our closest rivals.

We played Ipswich and gave away 2 late goals. We lost at home to Leeds fair enough but we beat saints away.

I would look to beat them both to hopefully cement top spot. 

38 points guarantees top spot.

Hopefully this will be more than the real number required.

I'm obviously not saying we should, but we have a greater chance of losing to them than anyone else!

2 hours ago, LVFox said:

3 sets of 5 games left.

Job Done.

Simple. However, I'd like 107 points :D

Yes, promotion is the absolute priority but it was a bit gutting to get so close last time, would really like to do it this time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I’m not sure there are any stats on it and they might prove the theory incorrect 

Even so, if there was anything on the last game,  I’d rather play a Blackburn side with nothing to play for than one that needs to win to get in the playoffs 

23/05/21:

spurs got off the beach at half time and leicester got onto the beach at half time (ish).

I'm fairly sure I’ve seen stats bandied around foxestalk about teams being on the beach and it was a fallacy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I'm conflicted about Cov ending up in the playoffs in the off chance they win them. On the one hand, guarantees a local derby next season, and bins off one of Southampton or Leeds coming straight back up too.

But at the same time, it's COV, man. As much as I want to avenge last month, I'd also quite happily never have to go to that racist, tragedy-mocking cesspit again, and the off chance they actually end up staying up and getting Prem revenues makes me feel a bit ill. 

I’m not conflicted, simply being greedy and wanting Leicester to sign O’hare and not get a hat trick against us in the premier league.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Oh this is a good one. Unsure how you get two celebrations confused and do that action 

Reckon he'll get questioned about this by The FA, like Wayne Hennessey did a few years ago for allegedly doing a Nazi salute (despite the latter, apparently, not knowing what a Nazi salute was..).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do suspect that games will continue to be a struggle moving forward if Watford is any form of benchmark, as it feels like we will be a 'scalp' for the remainder of the season, perhaps even more so as the seasons moves to completion.

I'm sure teams will see leeds and southampton in much the same light.