Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pains me to say it but Cov's recruitment model is pretty decent. Watched their game yesterday after my mate raved about him and that Victor Torp already looks a bargain at less than £2m. 

The Hamer and Gyokeres signings were absolutely excellent, if by some miracle they kept hold of both I think they'd be in the Ipswich, Leeds, Southampton bracket - maybe higher

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

As good as we we were, it never had the magic feeling that the title winning year had. I’m not sure why but I just always had the feeling the bubble would burst.

I didn’t have that in 2016, or not at least in the same way. There was never a game where I suddenly thought, we actually are going to do something here. Maybe that’s just me, but i was obviously wrong as we ended up winning the cup.

I dont remember a single moment of looking up the table, always down 

To be fair Liverpool were virtually flawless. They looked untouchable for someone like us. I still couldn't believe quite how badly we tailed off though - we demonstrated a seriously low floor that season towards the end which did concern me going forward. So it sort of proved.

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Pains me to say it but Cov's recruitment model is pretty decent. Watched their game yesterday after my mate raved about him and that Victor Torp already looks a bargain at less than £2m. 

It's why I'm pretty sure their promotion is when rather than if. I think this year the three who came down are a bit too good for them but I can see them getting maybe even autos next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's why I'm pretty sure their promotion is when rather than if. I think this year the three who came down are a bit too good for them but I can see them getting maybe even autos next year.

Difficulty for them appears to be someone’s contract running down every season and they have to do a little mini rebuild every August 

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't think it's ever when and not if for any of the teams who haven't come down in last couple of years. 

Just look at how close they got with some great players. If that happens again this year and they lose a few more you only need to replace a couple with the wrong ones and things can go south very quickly. 

It's why I always laugh at suggestions of "building" for the Premier League over a few years and promotion maybe not being the best thing. You grab it while you can and get out. Even if you fall back down you're in a far better place. 

Just now, CosbehFox said:

Difficulty for them appears to be someone’s contract running down every season and they have to do a little mini rebuild every August 

It was probably too hard for them to achieve this but what I liked about what we used to do was only sell one key player at a time, while they sold both of theirs.

And for all I do rate their recruitment, Simms for what they paid has been a huge dud.

Just now, Gamble92 said:

I don't think it's ever when and not if for any of the teams who haven't come down in last couple of years. 

Just look at how close they got with some great players. If that happens again this year and they lose a few more you only need to replace a couple with the wrong ones and things can go south very quickly. 

It's why I always laugh at suggestions of "building" for the Premier League over a few years and promotion maybe not being the best thing. You grab it while you can and get out. Even if you fall back down you're in a far better place. 

I just think the fact they sold two extremely good players, frankly, two easily PL level players and one of which might even be an elite player in Gyokeres, yet they look every bit as good as last season means they're likely to get there.

I do agree with your general point about building though - I think it's an easy trap to fall into. Villa weren't 'building' under Gerrard. They replaced their bad manager with a good one and almost overnight went from a relegation battler to a Champions League battler. I'm not sure the gap is ever quite as massive as made out.

• Like 3

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

I just think the fact they sold two extremely good players, frankly, two easily PL level players and one of which might even be an elite player in Gyokeres, yet they look every bit as good as last season means they're likely to get there.

I do agree with your general point about building though - I think it's an easy trap to fall into. Villa weren't 'building' under Gerrard. They replaced their bad manager with a good one and almost overnight went from a relegation battler to a Champions League battler. I'm not sure the gap is ever quite as massive as made out.

I hope you're right. I want to play them again next season. I couldn't let the 4-1 against the other lot lie for years so was glad we got to briefly get our revenge there. This is another one that needs avenging quickly. 

20 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is also true - and then later in the season started underperforming it so we levelled out.

2019/20 was basically just one brilliant run of 9 games. We were pretty average otherwise.

Xg wise the difference between Puel and Rodgers is minimal 

We outperformed under Rodgers and underperformed under Puel

The end of 19/20 was just as bad as last season or 21/22 and Rodgers didn’t have a clue back then either

If you were really harsh you could say we bottled Europe in 18/19 too under Brendan

Edited by MattFox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah very much like Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton you can see the progression and it does seem to be inevitable.

29 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Selling Gyokores and Hamer last summer has enabled them to step up their succession planning, previously players were only signed on 3 year deals which makes what you raise above very true, they seem now to have more flexibility to secure players for longer and be able to build.

1 hour ago, MattFox said:

Xg wise the difference between Puel and Rodgers is minimal 

We outperformed under Rodgers and underperformed under Puel

The end of 19/20 was just as bad as last season or 21/22 and Rodgers didn’t have a clue back then either

If you were really harsh you could say we bottled Europe in 18/19 too under Brendan

This is where XG for me loses all relevance, we had two or three players we knew under Rodgers were capable of scoring screamers from the edge of the box. 
We often worked the ball into the positions for Maddison and Tielemans to get a shot off, now these are generally very low XG plays, but when you have the qualities of Tielemans and Maddison they’re a tactic, so of course we outperformed our XG. 
XG doesn’t take into consideration who the player is so Maddison 25 yards out with time is a much better chance than Ndidi in the same position, XG cannot take this into consideration.

Anyone who watched us under Puel and Rodgers would know they were massive difference in terms of attacking output in both teams - they were chalk and cheese. XG has become very popular stat used, but it’s an incredibly floored statistic and in my view I wouldn’t use it to prove anything.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This is where XG for me loses all relevance, we had two or three players we knew under Rodgers were capable of scoring screamers from the edge of the box. 
We often worked the ball into the positions for Maddison and Tielemans to get a shot off, now these are generally very low XG plays, but when you have the qualities of Tielemans and Maddison they’re a tactic, so of course we outperformed our XG. 
XG doesn’t take into consideration who the player is so Maddison 25 yards out with time is a much better chance than Ndidi in the same position, XG cannot take this into consideration.

Anyone who watched us under Puel and Rodgers would know they were massive difference in terms of attacking output in both teams - they were chalk and cheese. XG has become very popular stat used, but it’s an incredibly floored statistic and in my view I wouldn’t use it to prove anything.

Tbf I don’t take it too seriously just find it interesting as a stats nerd

Hmm. When i look at our forthcoming fixtures, i naturally look at Soton, Leeds and Ipswich' too, in the hope that they may have a tougher game than us and drop points, i suppose we all do that.

But it seems to me that from WBA down the consistency of the teams is completely lacking and only on rare occasions do "the rest" perform against the present top 4.

I think Ipswich will soon be absorbed into "the rest" too.

The only unknown for me now is which of Leeds or Soton will have to win a prem place via playoffs.

I'm obviously not complaining but the championship cards do seem heavily stacked in favour of the three relegated teams to the extent of it would take a total idiot manager not to be immediately promoted.

Thank goodness we have Enzo and not a former total idiot in charge!

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

FB_IMG_1707768125582.thumb.jpg.6e5b25899ca943285d0db24132a36b9a.jpg

Are we just being ignored from now on? 

Let's pretend that Leicester aren't in this league... lol

This is quite obviously not " team of the week" but rather  "individuals of the week"

But it's understandable, how boring (for others) would the truth be? i.e.

"team of the week" - Leicester

Etc. Etc.

Living away from Leicester all the football fans i talk to consider the city to already be out of this league!

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

FB_IMG_1707768125582.thumb.jpg.6e5b25899ca943285d0db24132a36b9a.jpg

Are we just being ignored from now on? 

Let's pretend that Leicester aren't in this league... lol

Our overall performance was poor on Saturday. Which of our players deserved to be in the team of the week?

11 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Am surprised that Beadle got into the Team of the Week, given his small hands..

L0s9Xm3y_400x400.jpg

Apparently he’s got a really small willy as well. On the other hand it’s quite big!