Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

The biggest advantage we have (apart from a huge lead) is that Leeds and Southampton are always going to be watching each other (and Ipswich to the extent that they can remain relevant) more than Leicester.  No one cares that much who wins the league - it’s avoiding the playoffs that matters.

That said, I don’t know why anyone would trust a team managed by Martin over one managed by a guy with Farke’s track record in this league.  Leeds is probably the only possible threat, and a draw with them would probably be enough to put that to bed.  Unless Southampton completely goes in the tank and Leeds feel relaxed and going for the title is like a free hit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noahfence said:

During Southamptons 20+ unbeaten run they never won more than 4 games in a row. Not sure if I find that surprising or not 

They also dropped 8 points from winning positions in that run. We've only dropped 9 all season (3 draws, and Cov). They really aren't all that, they've just had a massively generous run of games since getting schooled by us and other better teams in the division (also losing to Ipswich and WBA before gifting a truly shite Boro side that couldn't buy a point their first win of the season).

The Saints still have a soft underbelly that can be exploited by any team that employs a basic high press, as Bristol City did beautifully tonight. I know a lot of it is viewed through the lens of us being promotion rivals, but my God, tonight they did no favours for themselves when it comes to the pound-shop Rodgers comparisons. Lethargic, possession-for-the-sake-of-it football that can be punished by anyone willing to get stuck in.

All 3 teams remain a threat…

Leeds from the 3 could well win all games.

and I fail to even bother to go through if n that  scenarios

where the other 2 will drop points..

Leicester players still have to concentrate on their games.

Yes,!! 12pts +1 .is an hard task for others to chase down,

but equally they are more than capable,just as ourselves

to be either prepared to hold a strong run..or slip & have

a loss of belief & confidence  on 3-4 gamedays.

Football can be a bitch,it’s far from over for top 4 places

nor for 5th & 6th play-off musical chairs..

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm as likely to have a foursome with Brie Larson, Jenna Ortega, Millie Bobby Brown as those two getting 108 points.

Stream please............... and one without buffering.

7 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't think they'll win every game, but I can certainly see them winning at least 10 of those 14. 

Maybe, but that's unlikely to trouble us.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Motty said:

Match this and job done

Think Leeds and Southampton will finish in the 90s

Ipswich in the late 80s

Screenshot_20240214_073103_Samsung Internet.jpg

Match this and we take Reading's points record with two games to spare.

Edited by murphy

48 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Maybe, but that's unlikely to trouble us.

To be honest, if you're using 100 points as the yardstick for automatic promotion, then I reckon Leeds are more likely to get there than Southampton. Their fixture list is favourable and they really look like they're motoring now. Also, Farke's teams in the championship have done really well in the run-in. The last two Southampton games have shown me that they can be got at and they still have some very tricky fixtures. Ipswich need 2.5 points per game to hit 100 points. They probably have the most favourable run-in of the top four but they still have to go away to Hull, Coventry and Norwich, as well as having to play Southampton at home. 

All 3 of the chasing pack will also need to rely on their starting 11s to maintain form & suffer neither injuries nor suspensions, if they are unable to who has the better fringe / back up players as i don't believe any of them rotate that much.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Mad to think that in 2013 Hull City won automatic promotion to the Premier League with a final points tally of 79, which is just one more than we have after 32 championship games this season.

A win on Saturday and we'd be automatically promoted last season 

17 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Mad to think that in 2013 Hull City won automatic promotion to the Premier League with a final points tally of 79, which is just one more than we have after 32 championship games this season.

Wow.

I think the challenge in beating 106 would be maintaining the pace once promotion is confirmed. The fact that others are also looking fairly strong may make us more likely to set the points record.

When you look at Reading's results that block of draws looks like the point when they must have confirmed it but apparently it was the last of 3 draws in a row (against us) which sealed the deal. 

If we avoid a 0-4 Brighton type slump then I think we set the record.

• Like 3