Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

And so it begins....

Looking forward to getting a good look at Southampton tonight. I imagine Wednesday away on a Friday night is the absolute last fixture they were hoping for given the crowd etc.

Early prediction for this is 1-1

15 hours ago, westernpark said:

My prediction was based on the impact that Warnock had, not the whole season.

My original point was over the whole season come May only Coventry out of our first 6 games will finish in the top half.

8 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

My original point was over the whole season come May only Coventry out of our first 6 games will finish in the top half.

Yes so was mine, I believe they will be top half based on the impact Warnock has had last season.

52 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

They still got JWP. Unbelievable. 

You reckon they will keep hold of him?

Unless I've been completely blind, I haven't even heard any strong rumours of any impending departure.

Edited by adejo92

Just read the predictions of all the local paper sports reporters (Leicester Mercury equivalent) represented in the Championship & all but Leicester & Millwall journo have us winning the lge (those 2 had us coming via the PO's) with most predicting M'Boro coming 2nd.
Wasn't much love for Leeds or Southampton weirdly.

Will Boro do as well this time round, they did rely on their loans last season Ramsey, Steffen, Giles, Archer & Muniz & then if anything happens to Akpom injury or transfer wise are they still a strong outfit or is this more about Carrick?

8 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Unless I've been completely blind, I haven't even heard any strong rumours of any impending departure.

A PL club is buying 12-15 goals a season extra with him via free kicks and corners. Astonishing there's no noise.

Not that I give a shite about England, but I was amazed he wasn't taken to Dubai last winter for the EXACT purpose when chasing a game and getting late corners and/or free kicks. Basically exactly what happened v France. (Last 10, get Grealiish and Foden and Madders to invite fouls at every opportunity to tee up JWP)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

A PL club is buying 12-15 goals a season extra with him via free kicks and corners. Astonishing there's no noise.

Not that I give a shite about England, but I was amazed he wasn't taken to Dubai last winter for the EXACT purpose when chasing a game and getting late corners and/or free kicks. Basically exactly what happened v France. (Last 10, get Grealiish and Foden and Madders to invite fouls at every opportunity to tee up JWP)

Yep, completely agree.

I know he's only 28, but seems like one of those players who's been around for ever and ever and every year has been linked with a move away.

I think the strongest rumours are West Ham but I'm not sure if Southampton are trying to price them out. Probably trying to fleece them knowing they've got the Rice money in the bank.

Really can't see him playing in the Championship come the end of the window but hey.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Scott Minto just spoken about the championship, has said Southampton is a big project with the number likely to leave. Also referenced Russell Martin having one plan and struggling if that doesn't work

That is what a lot of Swansea fans were saying about him when looking around when we were linked with him

Only has a Plan A - which a lot of the time is really boring possession football

If that doesn't work he just doesn't change it

I wonder if we'll ever find out what has put big teams of JWP, it's one of the most baffling things i've come across in the last 5-6 years to be honest.

There's absolutely GOT to be something, not just this season but any of the last 5 seasons you'd not have been surprised to see him sign for a 'big 6' side. 

I know he's a local lad and has a lot of attachment to the club, but they're a cashing in club, i'm sure if the chance had come along they'd have jumped at it!

43 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I wonder if we'll ever find out what has put big teams of JWP, it's one of the most baffling things i've come across in the last 5-6 years to be honest.

There's absolutely GOT to be something, not just this season but any of the last 5 seasons you'd not have been surprised to see him sign for a 'big 6' side. 

I know he's a local lad and has a lot of attachment to the club, but they're a cashing in club, i'm sure if the chance had come along they'd have jumped at it!

Same thing that has put teams off buying some of our players. They can't or won't match the wages. JWP is apparently on £100kpw. He's a good player, but he's not £100kpw good.

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

This is pretty interesting 

1 hour ago, whitlock said:

Always found this odd that it stopped - painful too when clinging on to a result and having no idea what time is left to play!

I think it'll just cause more pressure on referees to blow the whistle. Even if there have been stoppages in the added time that fans seem to ignore. Also that it's always 'a minumum of...' added time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adejo92 said:

I think West Ham were linked but Southampton are quoted at holding out for too much, which they are entitled to do of course.

• Like 1