Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I really, really want them to haul Southampton and Leeds back in and pip them to second. I think they'd be a great addition to the Prem and it would be a real sickened for the fans of those other two clubs.

Amen brutha. Ipswich in the PL would be awesome. 

As a side note how do Preston keep on winning games? Seen people claiming Ipswich are spawny but Preston seem to keep winning games with 30% possession and a handful of shots week after week. It's like the start of the season where they won week after week usually playing dreadfully and every shot going in. Is Lowe a witchdoctor?

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

As a side note how do Preston keep on winning games? Seen people claiming Ipswich are spawny but Preston seem to keep winning games with 30% possession and a handful of shots week after week. It's like the start of the season where they won week after week usually playing dreadfully and every shot going in. Is Lowe a witchdoctor?

I'm all for it, we only play them again on the penultimate matchday of the season, have them cause chaos until then

2 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Hmmm… can’t think of a team who exceeded doing that off the top of my head … 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Not a chance they finish 3rd. They're nailed on for 5th

Also, anyone who doesn't want Ipswich to come up 2nd to us 'needs to give their head a wobble' as they say.

1 of the 3 chasing teams will go on an unbelievable run, the other 2 will burn out after top 2 places are settled and WBA will have a strong finish into 3rd I reckon. 

I’m not sure why you brought it up on my post as I didn’t mention either Ipswich or 2nd place however I absolutely agree with you, fully rooting for Ipswich to finish 2nd! 

Just now, Jack1993 said:

1 of the 3 chasing teams will go on an unbelievable run, the other 2 will burn out after top 2 places are settled and WBA will have a strong finish into 3rd I reckon. 

I’m not sure why you brought it up on my post as I didn’t mention either Ipswich or 2nd place however I absolutely agree with you, fully rooting for Ipswich to finish 2nd! 

Yeah sorry wasn't aiming the latter point at you, rather the posters on here who can't get over the fact we couldn't beat Ipswich this year. 

As to the first point, I can maybe see a case for West Brom in 4th as a long shot, but 3rd? Can't see it in a million years. If you look at the table they're a complete lock for 5th. For what it's worth I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them win the playoffs 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

Leeds fixtures are very favourable, if they beat us they will run us very close

They're 12 points behind us. If they beat us, it'd be 9.

Take that game away and there's 13 games left for us both. If we've beaten Boro before they play us, that's 12 and that's assuming they beat Plymouth away to maintain the gap.

We've lost 4 games all season, we've only dropped points in 7 games, that's about 29% of the games we've played. If we kept that rate up, we'd drop points in roughly another 4 games and lose maybe 2. 

Leeds' only chance of catching us would be to go 100% winning in the remaining games or hope that we have an absolutely unprecedented collapse. It isn't going to happen.

This makes their game against us basically a cup final, too, for them. If we so much as draw they probably need a point a game more than us for the rest of the season, if not more.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

We seem to go through exactly the same change curve watching our rivals every game. Changing only slightly at the end after the result:

Ipswich

They might struggle against these

I can't believe Ipswich are in the top 4

I can't believe how rubbish (insert team opponent) are

They're so lucky (make last minute deflected goals reference) 

I actually like Ipswich

I'd rather Ipswich go up than the others

Ha, the wheels have fallen off the tractor I knew they couldn't keep it up

Leeds

They could lose this

They're the best team in the league (insert amusing or ironic emoji)

Insert stats to demonstrate Leeds are not actually better than us

I hate Leeds

insist Leeds won't catch us (insert another stat as reassurance)

Ha, they've lost, include several more ironic jokes about being the best team in the world

Saints

They could lose this

Insert comment from over optimistic Saints fan as evidence of delusion

Insert stat to demonstrate they've not really caught us up despite not losing since 1948

insist they only won because they play rubbish teams every week

insist Saints won't catch us (insert fixture list with emphasis on run in and last game) 

Ha, they've lost, make reference to Russell Martin and include unflattering comparison to Brendan Rodgers

Rinse ... Repeat... Rinse.... Repeat... Rinse .... Somebody make it stop!!!!! 

Chillax. We’ll just keep on winning. 

7 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

It's been interesting, as an Ipswich supporter reading these pages, to see the confirmation bias from a lot of you about us being lucky. If you actually watched us on a regular basis nothing could be further from the truth. For example, a poster on the previous page mentions the Millwall own goal... but no mention of the first two goals by Preston the other week being absolute howlers from the officials. Neither should have stood, and that's not just my bias - the officials have actually apologised for both. We've also lost our main striker until the end of the season, lost our captain to suspension for a period, had other injuries and illness, v Maidstone in the cup we had 38 shots to 2 and hit both posts and the crossbar... and yet you lot call us lucky!

What's happened is you've seen us have a couple of lucky moments (as all teams have) and decided that's why we're up there... then whenever anything else even slightly fortuitous happens (i.e. Millwall OG) you're all over it, but the bad luck we have you either don't know about or don't notice!

• Like 2

The beauty of three teams chasing 2nd spot is that each of them will feel immense pressure in every fixture knowing a slip up could be vital.

It will be interesting to see in how many match days all three of them win. 

We can keep going as we are taking a game at a time whilst they will all be looking at what each other is doing 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dollers said:

It's been interesting, as an Ipswich supporter reading these pages, to see the confirmation bias from a lot of you about us being lucky. If you actually watched us on a regular basis nothing could be further from the truth. For example, a poster on the previous page mentions the Millwall own goal... but no mention of the first two goals by Preston the other week being absolute howlers from the officials. Neither should have stood, and that's not just my bias - the officials have actually apologised for both.

Fair on the us not watching you on a regular basis. We are, after all, Leicester fans. And you're right, we'll never see enough of your football to know for sure, it just happens that what we do see (goals etc) makes people think you've had plenty of luck. 

On the Preston point, however, @Arriba Los Zorros specifically called them out in the post you're quoting, asking why no-one was calling them out rather than Ipswich. So think you've missed that, perhaps!

We've also lost our main striker until the end of the season, lost our captain to suspension for a period, had other injuries and illness, v Maidstone in the cup we had 38 shots to 2 and hit both posts and the crossbar... and yet you lot call us lucky!

Completely fair, and we've acknowledged that, and been impressed by how well Hirst has worked for your system. Lots of us said in this thread that you would suffer without him, and that Kieffer Moore was a good signing for you as he should replace Hirst nicely.

Maidstone was a cup game, and nobody is taking that into account for the league.

What's happened is you've seen us have a couple of lucky moments (as all teams have) and decided that's why we're up there... then whenever anything else even slightly fortuitous happens (i.e. Millwall OG) you're all over it, but the bad luck we have you either don't know about or don't notice!

Yes, to a degree. I think it's also the juxtaposition of the "couple of lucky moments" against our degree of luck. Perhaps a bit of admiration tinged with jealousy, quite frankly 😂.

Yes, these things are mentioned on here, but you'll also notice we're mostly hoping you go up. Just not at our expense 😉.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It will largely stem from when it was very close between us back in October/November time. There were a stretch of games we both kept winning and our fans were incensed that a few of your wins were somewhat fortuitous. The Bristol City and Plymouth ones stick in the memory.

I think a double deflection with the last kick of the game at Portman Road (and a stonewall penalty missed for us which would've killed the game - us having successfully ridden a bit of an Ipswich rally) and a late equaliser at the KP (having been outclassed for 70 minutes) also adds fuel to the lucky fire. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Cos no one did that in the prem in 15/16.

1 hour ago, Dollers said:

It's been interesting, as an Ipswich supporter reading these pages, to see the confirmation bias from a lot of you about us being lucky. If you actually watched us on a regular basis nothing could be further from the truth. For example, a poster on the previous page mentions the Millwall own goal... but no mention of the first two goals by Preston the other week being absolute howlers from the officials. Neither should have stood, and that's not just my bias - the officials have actually apologised for both. We've also lost our main striker until the end of the season, lost our captain to suspension for a period, had other injuries and illness, v Maidstone in the cup we had 38 shots to 2 and hit both posts and the crossbar... and yet you lot call us lucky!

You make good points but with respect are you new to football lol. Supporters in biased to their own team and moaning about a rival shocker!

I think you’re taking it too personally. You’ll see the vast majority are wanting you to do well and go up at the expense of Southampton and Leeds but Ipswich fans on here are happy to ignore that and moan about some comments saying you’re lucky! Of course those are based off the direct games between the two sides where the goals were fortunate deflections and red cards/penalties were missed in your favour.

I’m not sure why people are raising own goals as a bar for lucky thought. After all we were beneficiaries of one against you at the KP. And Leif Davis does seem to be having his own personal contest as to whether he can get more assists or OG’s from left back :ph34r:. So it’s not like you’ve not been on the other end of those as well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

I want Coventry, West Brom, Leeds and Southampton in playoffs. It will be fun. 

I would like to see Cov narrowly miss out and then have their players preyed upon as if they were some fetid carcass being picked apart by vultures and then doomed to languish in the lower leagues for decades to come.

Ir would be fun.

Edited by murphy
  • Haha 1