Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

24 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Odd. Imagine winning the league and then saying yeah well done but you didn't do it well enough. 

Best remind Claudio about his asterisk from losing twice to Arsenal. 

See previous reply 

Edited by Muzzy_no7

The worrying thing is our form against the better teams. We beat Soton when they were a mess and fluked past WBA but other than that we have lost against Boro twice, Leeds, Hull and Coventry then drew with Ipswich twice. We still have to play Leeds, Hull and Sunderland away and Soton and WBA at home.

There are definite dropped points in those games, I really do fear this will not be as easy as people think. Especially with the chasing pack in brilliant form.

• Like 3

Christ chill out. So we lost a game of football. We still created plenty of chances. I would be more worried if we didn't create anything. There will always be games where we will miss chances and end up on the wrong end of a scoreline. 

Those teams chasing us, they will also have these types of results. That's football. I would rather take on Leeds and Soton. Let's try and avoid defeat which keeps the gap at least the same.

I'm not worried in the slightest. Even if we lose to Soton and Leeds. Still plenty of points to play for. For me I just want to clear 90 points then see how the table looks

• Like 4

The price for FoxesHub back in August felt like a lead pipe colonoscopy.

But if I could have got it with a guarantee that the table would look like this after 33 matches, I’d have paid extra.

tableafter33.JPG.ea988659a3688e8838e31799a02add65.JPG

59 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

The worrying thing is our form against the better teams. We beat Soton when they were a mess and fluked past WBA but other than that we have lost against Boro twice, Leeds, Hull and Coventry then drew with Ipswich twice. We still have to play Leeds, Hull and Sunderland away and Soton and WBA at home.

There are definite dropped points in those games, I really do fear this will not be as easy as people think. Especially with the chasing pack in brilliant form.

This is what I was thinking. Our best home win was first game of the season and our best away win at Soton early on. 

• Like 1

Why is everyone talking about our form against the better teams in the division as a worry and then talking about the two games against Boro - yes they beat us twice, but they are bang average in this division. They are in that group with Bristol City, Cardiff and Watford who we have taken apart every game.

We’ve had two off days against them where the ball just wouldn’t go in the net and they’ve taken their chances. It does not in any way shape or form point to any sort of pattern.

In the same way that Southampton lost against Bristol City and  Leeds lost to Preston, these games happen and I’m certain each of the top 3 or 4 sides will all lose again this season against a team outside the top 4.

It happens

Week Leicester Southampton Leeds Ipswich
33   Hull   Rotherham
34 Leeds Millwall Leicester Birmingham
35 QPR Birmingham Huddlesfield Plymouth
36 Sunderland Preston Stoke Bristol
37 Hull Sunderland Sheffield Wed Cardiff
38 Southampton Leicester Millwall Sheffield Wed
39 Bristol Middlesborough Watford Blackburn
40 Norwich Ipswich Hull Southampton
41 Birmingham Blackburn Coventry Norwich
42 Millwall Coventry Sunderland Watford
43 Plymouth Watford Blackburn Middlesborough
44 West Brom Cardiff Middlesborough Coventry
45 Preston Stoke QPR Hull
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sly said:
33   Hull   Rotherham

Coventry on the Leeds fixtures needs to be orange too.

• Thanks 1

The other thing to look at with fixture difficulty towards the end of the season is who is not playing for anything - I would say the top 10, plus Middlesbrough with their games in hand will still be looking at putting a run together and getting in the play offs.

Birmingham City and down still need results to ensure they don’t get dragged into the relegation battle.

That leaves Cardiff, Bristol City and Watford as the teams not playing for anything as we move towards the last 10.

Looking at the last 6 games of the season it’s likely we will play Millwall needing points to stay up - as our only active game, I think by then WBA will have secured a play off place and the rest will all be mid table.

Southampton will play Coventry, Leeds and Stoke who all have something to play for.

Leeds will play 5 of there last 6 games against teams with potentially something on the line in Coventry, Sunderland Middlesbrough, QPR and Southampton.

Ipswich will play also 5 of their last 6 games against teams who have something to play for in Coventry, Middlesbrough, Hull, Huddersfield and Norwich.

The dark side of this is we may all need to be Coventry fans for the last 6 games of the season.

6 hours ago, Sly said:
33   Hull   Rotherham

Interesting that there are some very capable sides there who have to either play all 4 of us or 3. Middlesbrough all 4 (well before yesterday), Hull all 4 and Coventry and Sunderland 3. These teams can have a major say and are all vying for the final play off place if we assume West Brom are safe (which given they only appear on our list above, you’d assume that means they have a decent run in).

Other observation is how the hell do Ipswich still have Rotherham, Huddersfield and Sheff Weds to place! It felt like they had months of the season where they were also playing poor teams on a cycle so without wanting to do the old ‘Rotherham and Huddersfield every week’ joke, I’m surprised to see their fixtures left!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

I agree with this people see us top and think we will p!ss the league

But then why do we lose to "bang average" teams? Have we been lucky?

Be careful what u say people will have a pop at u... thats all I am going to say  as you say anything different to the theory then your a traitor apparently... 

We will see in 3 games where we are then

Updated.

As we get closer to the end of the season, I’ll adjust the colour coding from top 8, to include teams that are chasing for relegation / play offs.

33   Hull   Rotherham

At the moment, as things stand, the average position based on the current table for the teams we have to play are:

Leicester - 11th

Southampton - 11th

Leeds - 13th

Ipswich - 14th

Anyone that wants a predictor by guessing the scores:

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-championship/

I took a pessimistic view and put in losses against Southampton and Leeds, then draws with WBA and Hull. We still won the league on 105 points. 

Leeds 2nd, behind by 3 points. 

If we do lose a few more though and the 3 close the gap to within 6 points, it could get really interesting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trent Steel said:

I agree with this people see us top and think we will p!ss the league

But then why do we lose to "bang average" teams? Have we been lucky?

Be careful what u say people will have a pop at u... thats all I am going to say  as you say anything different to the theory then your a traitor apparently... 

We will see in 3 games where we are then

The next 5 games are going to be massive really. 

It’s not unthinkable that Leeds / Southampton and Ipswich could be within points of us. 

I’d confidently state we will beat QPR, however Leeds, Southampton, Hull and Sunderland are trickier fixtures on paper.

We saw yesterday though, that surprises happen and we need that to happen more to the other three in the games until the end of the season (which it will) and we should get over the line with a bit of space to breathe. 

Depends how you want to cut this, If you look at the games the top 4 have lost.

Leicester - Middlesbrough x 2, Hull, Coventry and Leeds.

Southampton - Sunderland, Ipswich, Leicester, Bristol City and Middlesbrough

Leeds - Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Preston and WBA

Ipswich - Leeds x 2, WBA and Preston.

Sunderland, Hull, Coventry, West Brom and Middlesbrough are all capable of beating any of the top four teams on any given day. They’ve still got to play a combination of all of us, so we’ll see more upsets in the journey back to the Premier League yet. 

I felt we looked tired yesterday, more with our speed of thought than physicality even. Our play relies massively on concentration and alertness and today a few were not at that level. Strangely Ricardo and Kiernan dropped some levels and when they’re not on it the engine room is malfunctioning and goes from sports car to tractor. 

It’s definitely blown the title race open. It’s incredible, last week we were 12 points clear, but a poor defeat to an average team, and a tricky run of games. 

What we have done so far doesn’t really show what this team is made of, as it’s not been too taxing, but my concern is, when it’s got tough, we’ve wobbled a bit. The points gap could be slashed further next week, and I think the fear for me is a heavy loss could derail us. 

It’s up in the air really, we’ve all got opinions, but I’ve got the same painful hope I had last season in the pit of my stomach. It’s probably best for us to just sit back and see what unfolds….. but, as insane as it sounds, and this is probably because I’ve still got a small Brendan Rodgers sat in my ear saying “The beauty is, it’s in our own hands”, but I just feel Southampton and Leeds are poised to finish in the top two from this position. 

Down to the lads to get it done. 

10 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Southampton also have tough fixtures, and have to make up 12 points to overtake us with a game in hand. So that’s 4 more wins than us in 13-14 games. Nearly 1 point per game more…

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck

10 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It’s definitely blown the title race open. It’s incredible, last week we were 12 points clear, but a poor defeat to an average team, and a tricky run of games. 

What we have done so far doesn’t really show what this team is made of, as it’s not been too taxing, but my concern is, when it’s got tough, we’ve wobbled a bit. The points gap could be slashed further next week, and I think the fear for me is a heavy loss could derail us. 

It’s up in the air really, we’ve all got opinions, but I’ve got the same painful hope I had last season in the pit of my stomach. It’s probably best for us to just sit back and see what unfolds….. but, as insane as it sounds, and this is probably because I’ve still got a small Brendan Rodgers sat in my ear saying “The beauty is, it’s in our own hands”, but I just feel Southampton and Leeds are poised to finish in the top two from this position. 

Down to the lads to get it done. 

12 points clear last week, and now 11. We’ve been more clear than 12 and less. It’s the ebb and flow. If we created nothing yesterday - fine I’d be concerned. But we did, and we’ll be fine. We still have a very nice cushion. 

• Like 4