Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

We’ve lost 5 games all season though. With the best attacking and defensive records. 

Nothing points to us finishing outside the top 2. 

Nothing pointed to us being relegated after a decade of ticking the balls of the premier league big boys….. were the most ridiculous club in history, I would not be stunned if we managed to stack it from this position. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Updated.

As we get closer to the end of the season, I’ll adjust the colour coding from top 8, to include teams that are chasing for relegation / play offs.

Week Leicester Southampton Leeds Ipswich
33   Hull   Rotherham
34 Leeds Millwall Leicester Birmingham
35 QPR Birmingham Huddlesfield Plymouth
36 Sunderland Preston Stoke Bristol
37 Hull Sunderland Sheffield Wed Cardiff
38 Southampton Leicester Millwall Sheffield Wed
39 Bristol Middlesborough Watford Blackburn
40 Norwich Ipswich Hull Southampton
41 Birmingham Blackburn Coventry Norwich
42 Millwall Coventry Sunderland Watford
43 Plymouth Watford Blackburn Middlesborough
44 West Brom Cardiff Middlesborough Coventry
45 Preston Stoke QPR Hull
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield

Yeah but.... Huddlesfield? 

14 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

If Leeds beat us and Southampton win their game in hand the gap to 3rd would be 8 points

EDIT: oh sorry, you’re assuming Southampton win both games in hand. 

either way the previous was someone talking about the gap had closed compared to 8 games ago but it’s actually the same, to 3rd

I said to Leeds.

The battle of manipulation on whats happening is funny though.  I didnt try to find X games that makes things look worse, I simply seen the post on reddit and copied it over.

But yes Saints in 3rd have also closed the gap, depending on what you think the likelihood of them getting points from their game in hand is.

4 hours ago, Sly said:

The next 5 games are going to be massive really. 

It’s not unthinkable that Leeds / Southampton and Ipswich could be within points of us. 

I’d confidently state we will beat QPR, however Leeds, Southampton, Hull and Sunderland are trickier fixtures on paper.

We saw yesterday though, that surprises happen and we need that to happen more to the other three in the games until the end of the season (which it will) and we should get over the line with a bit of space to breathe. 

I wasnt surprised by the result yesterday, we have for quite a few games not looked convincing and have not done well against better quality teams in this division and had already lost to them, perhaps the only surprise was going 2 goals behind instead of one, which I think was a first for us this season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sly said:
33   Hull   Rotherham
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield

For Leeds - those 'easy' white games against Huddersfield, Sheffield Wed, Millwall and Middlesbrough wont be easy games as their rivals

For Ipswich you'd argue the Norwich game can be classed as red, Norwich will be really up for it. 

Unfortunately no local rivals for Southampton to play. 

2 minutes ago, foxes4life said:

For Leeds - those 'easy' white games against Huddersfield, Sheffield Wed, Millwall and Middlesbrough wont be easy games as their rivals

For Ipswich you'd argue the Norwich game can be classed as red, Norwich will be really up for it. 

Yes, I’d picked up on Norwich / Ipswich. 

I hadn’t given much thought to Leeds games really. I still think most clubs see us, Leeds and Southampton as massive games, so naturally raise a few levels. 

1 hour ago, foxes4life said:

Looking overall I felt Ipswich have an easy run and wouldn't be surprised if they remain unbeaten from here. Borough result was the last thing we needed. 

1 hour ago, foxes4life said:

Hasn't made much or any difference this season.

Smashed Millwall, Rotherham (another "rival") and Huddersfield 10-1 collectively, fairly recently.  Beaten Boro too.  Drew with Wednesday during our poor start.

Not sure that factor will make any difference.

• Like 1

I’ve looked at the remaining fixtures for us Leeds and Southampton, and I’d say we’ve got the most problematic run, in Sunderland, Hull and Southampton could be a series of games we slip up in…… I’ve totted up the points and I’ve been quite harsh with us throwing in more defeats than Leeds and Southampton, and have still amassed 101 points, which should be enough to clinch an automatic place. Leeds I think will just edge it, by a point or so, as their run in, is more favourable I’d say. Southampton to settle for the playoffs. There won’t be much in it I don’t think but I think the gap will be closed over the next few games. 

Essentially, even mediocre form should see us promoted, we would have to hit relegation form to completely fall away, which I can’t see happening. Due to how tight it could be, I think the winner of us V Leeds wins the league eventually. 

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I’ve looked at the remaining fixtures for us Leeds and Southampton, and I’d say we’ve got the most problematic run, in Sunderland, Hull and Southampton could be a series of games we slip up in…… I’ve totted up the points and I’ve been quite harsh with us throwing in more defeats than Leeds and Southampton, and have still amassed 101 points, which should be enough to clinch an automatic place. Leeds I think will just edge it, by a point or so, as their run in, is more favourable I’d say. Southampton to settle for the playoffs. There won’t be much in it I don’t think but I think the gap will be closed over the next few games. 

Essentially, even mediocre form should see us promoted, we would have to hit relegation form to completely fall away, which I can’t see happening. Due to how tight it could be, I think the winner of us V Leeds wins the league eventually. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about Beales’ Sunderland, not half the team they were under Mowbray. 

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We are going to lose at least 3 more games

Why?

We've lost 5 out of 33, why are we going to lose 3 or more out of the last 13? Our record so far suggests we'll probably lose two at the most.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

We are going to lose at least 3 more games.  I don't honestly see Leeds losing many in that run, last day possibly. 

We need a huge performance against Leeds, Southampton and Ipswich will win all theirs

I also think 3 more maybe 4 but don't think Leeds , Southampton will win all theirs either

Edited by Trent Steel
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Pub breath said:

The time to worry for Leicester is if there is a series of defeats.  A narrow defeat in a good run when the gap tightens for a moment, means little.

If Leeds win on Friday, it gives us a slight sniff of a chance to finish top.  Only that.  For most of the season, there has been practically zero chance.  Even then, I'd say it's a highly unlikely turn of events.

That your form could suddenly collapse so much that two teams could catch you?  Honestly, it's so improbable that you should not be wasting time thinking about it.

But football fans always do fear the worst, somehow.

You are right, but we do have a recent history of blowing the improbable so I think you can forgive the fears.

I think it's just simply a quite extraordinary season. The fact one of us, Leeds, Southampton or Ipswich has to miss out is unreal - possibly even two if the playoffs are cruel.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

You are right, but we do have a recent history of blowing the improbable so I think you can forgive the fears.

I think it's just simply a quite extraordinary season. The fact one of us, Leeds, Southampton or Ipswich has to miss out is unreal - possibly even two if the playoffs are cruel.

Leeds fans are not so fearfull

Ipswich seemed to be going with the flow 

Southampton a bit like us.. 

Like someone said already it’s really annoying how we’ve struggled against the better teams in this league. IF we beat Leeds that will be a big moment in our season. Not sure why we’ve struggled.

is it mental fear or weakness knowing the opposition can hurt us. Enzo has to fix this soon. In the premier league you cannot fear the opposition of have any doubts about self confidence or your gonna get whooped.

13 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Like someone said already it’s really annoying how we’ve struggled against the better teams in this league. IF we beat Leeds that will be a big moment in our season. Not sure why we’ve struggled.

is it mental fear or weakness knowing the opposition can hurt us. Enzo has to fix this soon. In the premier league you cannot fear the opposition of have any doubts about self confidence or your gonna get whooped.

Leeds is a huge game for this reason, more to prove that we are the best, remove any doubt at all!

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I understand.  Really, I do.  There's probably few club's supporters that have quite the same level of PTSD than Leeds fans.  "Leeds are falling apart, again" and all that.

It is a remarkable season and brilliant for it. I think a quote before the Plymouth game was that Leeds are 10 points ahead of Bielsa's championship winning Leeds team at the same point.  Yet still in serious peril of not being promoted at all.  That says it all.  It's extraordinary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Leeds is a huge game for this reason, more to prove that we are the best, remove any doubt at all!

We prove we're the best by finishing top. If we finish top, we're the best. If we don't, we're not.

So!!   If all 4 have top runs,gods deciding the Mano o Mano games

Leeds a near perfect run.. no losses ,beating us  maybe Southampton

Southampton again near perfect run,maybe beating us and Leeds

Ipswich ,run of the century beat Southampton,but drop pts

We still have to have a miserable run for

Southampton Leeds or Ipswich to catch us,

even losing both Leeds Soton games.

keeping positive carry on our run with few dropped pts

then top end of pts more than achievable.

I can see us winning 10games..1 loss 2 draws

I can’t see either other team not drawing at least 2.

people talk about our pressure,but the others have the pressure

of ‘must‘ win games,to chase down the pts difference..

If however we lost to Leeds,Southampton,Hull and drew 2 other games

still 104pts. One could say won 8 drew 2 lost 3 isn’t bad,

but the flak and critic rightly would be high, given 104pts achieved.

One reason from fans side, we will think we need pts at Leeds to claim

bragging rights if nothing else..

If we can give Vardy the first 70 minutes,then not chasing the game,

and still our most effective striker, Daka for last 20 minutes…

Vardy run himself into the ground..Rest day for Bournemouth & QPR.

Daka,Cannon have to prove their credentials for Bournemouth,then are

they ready for routine, as expected..Nacho in the wings has sub..

33   Hull   Rotherham
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton

Huddlesfield

106-112pts.    103-107pts       102-106pts.       98-103pts

Edited by fuchsntf

Worst case scenario: we lose to Leeds and Southampton and Ipswich win their games in hand and after 34 games the table looks like this: 

Leicester 78

Southampton 73

Leeds 72

Ipswich 72

6 points (effectively 7 with GD) gap to 3rd with 12 games to go is less than it was, but we'd have all taken that if offered