Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

14 hours ago, BertFill said:

Why?

We've lost 5 out of 33, why are we going to lose 3 or more out of the last 13? Our record so far suggests we'll probably lose two at the most.

Because we lost to Middlesborough, we are likely going to lose to Leeds as we did earlier in the season, I just dont see us being anywhere near good enough to match their speed and intensity which just isnt our game. 

I suspect we will also lose at Hull, possibly Bristol City and Sunderland. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Worst case scenario: we lose to Leeds and Southampton and Ipswich win their games in hand and after 34 games the table looks like this: 

Leicester 78

Southampton 73

Leeds 72

Ipswich 72

6 points (effectively 7 with GD) gap to 3rd with 12 games to go is less than it was, but we'd have all taken that if offered

Not sure about this bit.

The gap in GD between Leicester and Leeds is 8.  If Leeds were to win that game even 1-0, it's at 6.  2-0 and it's down to 4.

For Leeds to bridge the gap to Leicester it will require Leeds to win twice and Leicester to lose twice.  If all of that is by single goals then yeah, Leicester are still just ahead of Leeds on GD.  Leeds have been winning a lot of games by 2, 3 or 4 goal margins so it's much more likely that if it turned around like that, GD wouldn't be in your favour any longer.

4 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Most folk are forgetting a week ago Saints lost to Bristol City which was a surprise.

There will be dropped points between now then. Goes without saying they have to play each other which means one of the chasing pack loses points. 

Nope - all other teams win all there games. Thats how its been all season and that's how it will be during the run in. Any historical reference to times where other top teams didn't win are inaccurate and will be disregarded. 

• Haha 2

Lots of twists and turns left yet - Friday will be a good test to see how brave we are - last time we played these Kamara and Ampadu bossed our midfield and I fear that may happen again as Winks has just dipped and KDH is all over the place - the next 4 away games are quite testing and it’s the business end of the season. Let’s hope EM shows his tactical nouse and can be brave !

On 17/02/2024 at 23:44, Sly said:
Week Leicester Southampton Leeds Ipswich
33   Hull   Rotherham
34 Leeds Millwall Leicester Birmingham
35 QPR Birmingham Huddlesfield Plymouth
36 Sunderland Preston Stoke Bristol
37 Hull Sunderland Sheffield Wed Cardiff
38 Southampton Leicester Millwall Sheffield Wed
39 Bristol Middlesborough Watford Blackburn
40 Norwich Ipswich Hull Southampton
41 Birmingham Blackburn Coventry Norwich
42 Millwall Coventry Sunderland Watford
43 Plymouth Watford Blackburn Middlesborough
44 West Brom Cardiff Middlesborough Coventry
45 Preston Stoke QPR Hull
46 Blackburn Leeds Southampton Huddlesfield

Was convinced they all had to play Swansea 6 more times each

18 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Not sure about this bit.

The gap in GD between Leicester and Leeds is 8.  If Leeds were to win that game even 1-0, it's at 6.  2-0 and it's down to 4.

For Leeds to bridge the gap to Leicester it will require Leeds to win twice and Leicester to lose twice.  If all of that is by single goals then yeah, Leicester are still just ahead of Leeds on GD.  Leeds have been winning a lot of games by 2, 3 or 4 goal margins so it's much more likely that if it turned around like that, GD wouldn't be in your favour any longer.

I'm always amazed how many people don't take this into account, they just assume that the current better goal difference is worth an extra point

• Like 3

Sport is played as much in the head as it is on the pitch. If we collapse from here and dont finish in the top 2, we dont deserve to get promoted, because it shows a serious mental weakness. We know in the past this team has had problems getting over the line with the 2 top 4 misses and the relegation. We can't have a similar mindset. We've been the best team in the division up to now, we need to take this momentum forward and break the points record and stamp our authority as the best championship team ever. If we scrape through after a poor end of season, we'd get destroyed in the PL every week like Sheff Utd and Burnley. The run in will show us what the team and Enzo are really made of.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Not sure about this bit.

11 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

I'm always amazed how many people don't take this into account, they just assume that the current better goal difference is worth an extra point

To be fair the emphasis was on the gap being 6 points (potentially effectively 7 with GD) I wasn't banking on having better goal difference

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

To be fair the emphasis was on the gap being 6 points (potentially effectively 7 with GD) I wasn't banking on having better goal difference

The point being, it isn't effectively 7.  If Leeds got level on points with Leicester, I'd expect it's more likely that GD will be in Leeds favour than Leicester's.

The gap to Leeds is most likely, a 3 game gap.

Which is still loads regardless of GD.

3 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

The point being, it isn't effectively 7.  If Leeds got level on points with Leicester, I'd expect it's more likely that GD will be in Leeds favour than Leicester's.

The gap to Leeds is most likely, a 3 game gap.

Which is still loads regardless of GD.

I said the gap is 6 (potentially 7 with GD) I never said it was 7 points. 

Either way, my overall point was, everyone is having a wobble after the Boro defeat, but 'worse case' scenario we lose to Leeds and everyone else keeps winning and by the end of the weekend Leicester will still be 6 points clear.

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I said the gap is 6 (potentially 7 with GD) I never said it was 7 points. 

Either way, my overall point was, everyone is having a wobble after the Boro defeat, but 'worse case' scenario we lose to Leeds and everyone else keeps winning and by the end of the weekend Leicester will still be 6 points clear.

I think this is probably where your confusion is.  Read back.  You may have said "potentially" in your head but you wrote "effectively".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I think this is probably where your confusion is.  Read back.  You may have said "potentially" in your head but you wrote "effectively".

It may have also been because I'm used to us having a far superior GD to Southampton and Ipswich and may have assumed it was so for Leeds too

• Like 1

Let’s get the Leeds game out of the way. If we lose, then we can start to worry.

Leeds beating us is far from a given, which seems to be the consensus on here. They’re good, but let’s not forget we’re pretty good too.

I think it’ll be a complete lottery, they could score a few, but they’ll leave plenty of space for us to exploit. 

11 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Let’s get the Leeds game out of the way. If we lose, then we can start to worry.

Leeds beating us is far from a given, which seems to be the consensus on here. They’re good, but let’s not forget we’re pretty good too.

I think it’ll be a complete lottery, they could score a few, but they’ll leave plenty of space for us to exploit. 

We're still 6 points clear of 3rd by Saturday night if we lose to Leeds and Southampton and Ipswich win their games. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68337554

Mowbray stepping down as B'ham manager due to illness.

Always like Mowbray, seems a nice bloke. Hope he recovers soon. Birmingham season's reminds similar to 2007-08 season, so manager exits in once season every time we looked to step forward we ended up taking two steps back and we know how that season ended. Can imagine now an interim may be named... If Neil Warnock hadn't gone to Aberdeen I reckon he would took over at Birmingham. I wonder if they'd forgiven Steve Bruce and give him another go at interim.

Edited by Leicesterpool

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Most folk are forgetting a week ago Saints lost to Bristol City which was a surprise.

Was it? Bristol at home are very good, we will also struggle there, they beat West Ham there, drew Forest. 

55 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Was it? Bristol at home are very good, we will also struggle there, they beat West Ham there, drew Forest. 

Yeah it was surprise considering Bristol City have lost to Millwall and QPR in the last couple of months at home and Saints extraordinary unbeaten run. 

I don't see people pointing out how well Boro have played against PL sides this season either to chill out about our result on Saturday. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Yeah it was surprise considering Bristol City have lost to Millwall and QPR in the last couple of months at home and Saints extraordinary unbeaten run. 

I don't see people pointing out how well Boro have played against PL sides this season either to chill out about our result on Saturday. 

Middlesbrough were without their key players Howson, Hackney etc, they pretty much beat us with their squad players.

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

Sport is played as much in the head as it is on the pitch. If we collapse from here and dont finish in the top 2, we dont deserve to get promoted, because it shows a serious mental weakness. We know in the past this team has had problems getting over the line with the 2 top 4 misses and the relegation. We can't have a similar mindset. We've been the best team in the division up to now, we need to take this momentum forward and break the points record and stamp our authority as the best championship team ever. If we scrape through after a poor end of season, we'd get destroyed in the PL every week like Sheff Utd and Burnley. The run in will show us what the team and Enzo are really made of.

This club. Not this team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1