Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Don't know about anyone else, but don't think there's been anywhere near enough breaking football news today lol 

Does actually make you stand back and appreciate the relative calm we find ourselves in, even after a poor performance.

13 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

There are degrees and variances at play.  As far as i'm aware, every player who started your first game or came on as sub, is still a Leicester player. Is that right?  5 of ours are no longer at the club.  That points to the difference and surely the results show the impact?  We had a dreadful start and your results in the first few games were faultless.

Isn't that a fair aspect to reflect on? 

DLDW - August wasn't that horrendous - 5/12 points. 

What about your slightly worse run of DWLL in December? Does that not count either? 

9 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

DLDW - August wasn't that horrendous - 5/12 points. 

What about your slightly worse run of DWLL in December? Does that not count either? 

Our club was sold, much later than anyone hoped.  A new manager was recruited, much later than anyone hoped.  Players were sold, much later than anyone hoped.  Players were bought....you know the rest.  We near enough lost 2 months of our close season.  Throw into the mix players trying to force moves and going on strike (Gnonto) and other who said they'd stay only to leave us in the lurch on the last day of the window (Sinisterra) and it's not exactly a surprise that these things adversely affected the team and their results.  It would have been a miracle not to.

I'm not even sure how much of that is fully appreciated outside of Leeds.  In comparison, you had your new boss a whole month earlier, no ownership change, half the transfer fiascos and got your business done much sooner as a result.

Not everything can be simply black and white, can it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

“Beale is understood to have lost the dressing room, with the Sunderland players particularly unhappy at being made to do extra training after a defeat, while the manager himself took the day off”

that was never going to

end well 🤣

Strikes me as someone whos clearly a good coach but just doesn't have thr skills to manage people.

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

Our club was sold, much later than anyone hoped.  A new manager was recruited, much later than anyone hoped.  Players were sold, much later than anyone hoped.  Players were bought....you know the rest.  We near enough lost 2 months of our close season.  Throw into the mix players trying to force moves and going on strike (Gnonto) and other who said they'd stay only to leave us in the lurch on the last day of the window (Sinisterra) and it's not exactly a surprise that these things adversely affected the team and their results.  It would have been a miracle not to.

I'm not even sure how much of that is fully appreciated outside of Leeds.  In comparison, you had your new boss a whole month earlier, no ownership change, half the transfer fiascos and got your business done much sooner as a result.

All that business that leads fans were mocking online telling us how much better the likes of Ampadu were than winks etc?

Just now, Gamble92 said:

All that business that leads fans were mocking online telling us how much better the likes of Ampadu were than winks etc?

Dunno mate.  Were they?  I'm not on Twitter/X and never will be.  I wouldn't necessarily take a handful of people on Twitter as representative of a fan base of hundreds of thousands mind.

Ampadu has been a brilliant singing though.

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Beale lasted long at Sunderland would make a great watch for 4th series documentary. Whose to replace Beale.... Steve Cooper? would he drop to the championship

Steve Cooper would be a great piece of business. Although Palace would be the obvious next job for him, l guess. 

Just now, STEVIE B said:

Steve Cooper would be a great piece of business. Although Palace would be the obvious next job for him, l guess. 

Palace have just appointed another manager.

31 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Dunno mate.  Were they?  I'm not on Twitter/X and never will be.  I wouldn't necessarily take a handful of people on Twitter as representative of a fan base of hundreds of thousands mind.

Ampadu has been a brilliant singing though.

Just seemed to be that general arrogant Leeds attitude that everyone you were signing was great and everyone we were signing was over the hill and shit. I agree about not taking a handful of idiots opinions but it was all over the place and one of your "fan representatives" on radio was saying the same thing as well. 

Fairplay though, it can't be easy maintaining such an attitude when you've done nothing of note for decades.

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Just seemed to be that general arrogant Leeds attitude that everyone you were signing was great and everyone we were signing was over the hill and shit. I agree about not taking a handful of idiots opinions but it was all over the place and one of your "fan representatives" on radio was saying the same thing as well. 

Fairplay though, it can't be easy maintaining such an attitude when you've done nothing of note for decades.

I didn't see any of of it but dare say it went on.  There's always a spectrum of views and attitudes.  I suppose there were likely Leicester fans who thought and said similar in reverse.  Generally, football fans are blinkered, biased as hell and pretty narrow minded.  Love is blind and all that :D

Ampadu and Winks have both been good signings.  We didn't make a bad signing last summer....which is almost unheard of for Leeds.

Edited by Pub breath
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pub breath said:

I didn't see any of of it but dare say it went on.  There's always a spectrum of views and attitudes.  I suppose there were likely Leicester fans who thought and said similar in reverse.  Generally, football fans are blinkered, biased as hell and pretty narrow minded.  Love is blind and all that :D

Ampadu and Winks have both been good signings.  We didn't make a bad signing last summer....which is almost unheard of for Leeds.

Spence? I know he was only on loan but I'd say he was a pretty poor signing. But yes, I think both of us recruited well last summer which is really important after getting relegated. People can talk about parachute payments and it not being a level playing field etc but I think many underestimate how well all 3 relegated sides have done, and what Ipswich have done is even more incredible. Burnley walked the league last season and it was a pretty poor league, all 3 teams that went up aren't a patch on the 3 relegated sides,  but thats just the way football is at times. If all 3 of us go up next season, I think it would make the league very interesting, as I doubt any of us would be whipping boys like Sheff U and Burnley. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pub breath said:

Well the doubt stems from what happened after August, I suppose.  Whilst appreciating that Leicester's pre-season wasn't perfect, Leeds was clearly worse (results alone proved that) and August was our most disruptive month.  Leicester gained 7 points over Leeds in that period and since then, there has been very little to choose between the two teams.  If Leeds win on Friday, it'll sneak Leeds just ahead of Leicester on points since August.

There would be an argument to put forward at that point, that since both teams had been put together (6 of the team that started in our first game, did not start on Saturday.  4 who featured have left the club entirely, a fifth on loan), Leeds are the better of the two teams.  Or that they are evenly matched. I'm not saying that would be right or fair necessarily as there would have been different teams faced.  But it wouldn't be a wholly unreasonable argument either. 

That's where the doubt stems from, rightly or wrongly.  Leeds doing the double over Leicester certainly isn't going to help clear it up.

Yawn, not this again. 

• Like 1

That's annoying about Beale. I had that down as a comfortable win whereas now it becomes a trickier game I'd say. He's turned out to be a huge dud. Remember that furore about how he nearly ended up at Wolves? What a bullet dodged by them. Just seems an odd bloke. Some of the stuff he's been coming out with at Sunderland implies he wanted paying off ala Rodgers.

• Like 1

Another big night of Championship football coming up. For Ipswich, there are no easy games in the Championship, except maybe Rotherham at home - don’t see too many problems for them, game in hand and they should cut the gap at the top to 9 points.

Southampton on the other hand will have to be at their best again, Hull are a very good side and pick up a lot of points on the road.

If they turn up they can make it very tricky for Southampton. This is there game in hand and will need a result to get back into the top 6. Interestingly if they win, they go above WBA, who I thought were nailed on for a playoff spot a couple of weeks back.

It’s getting fun at the top!

17 hours ago, Pub breath said:

You're moving the goal posts a bit here. 

You initially were talking about cold, hard points - i.e points gained since August: Leeds 64, Leicester 66. You said the only reason you were behind us was your 'disastrous' August. But you did get 5 points out of 12 and have indeed had worse 4 game runs in other parts of the season. 

Your retort is all about off the pitch intangibles. 

The final table if Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton get maximum points

(including Leicester losing to Leeds and Southampton)

(and note that Ipswich and Southampton can't both win their game on matchweek 40)

(and note that Leeds and Southampton can't both win that final game)

image.png.58d2c052f687f88a8c838c26049f11bf.png

That'd be:

• Ipswich 16 wins in a row
  • Leeds 21 wins in a row
  • Southampton 15 wins in a row

I suppose the key finding is, even if we lose to Southampton and Leeds, don't panic!

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

The final table if Ipswich, Leeds and Southampton get maximum points

(including Leicester losing to Leeds and Southampton)

(and note that Ipswich and Southampton can't both win their game on matchweek 40)

(and note that Leeds and Southampton can't both win that final game)

image.png.58d2c052f687f88a8c838c26049f11bf.png

That'd be:

• Ipswich 16 wins in a row
  • Leeds 21 wins in a row
  • Southampton 15 wins in a row

I suppose the key finding is, even if we lose to Southampton and Leeds, don't panic!

Effectively a three point margin come the end of the season is a bit risky for us, would hope we would have secured promotion before the last two games of the season :fc:

Edited by Happy Fox