Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

33 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Where are you getting 3 from?

The own goal.  as i distinguished from my actual point, this was just being a bit facetious.

Does anyone think, as I do, that yesterday’s final capitulation was down to poor end game management by Enzo? Steve Howard made a point of it that when Kacey came on it caused us to sit in deeper, that we neither went more attacking, or more defensive, we had players that I thought were flagging and we just didn’t utilise the bench to our advantage. I love enzo, but can’t help but feel this is his blind spot 

Just now, splinterdream said:

Does anyone think, as I do, that yesterday’s final capitulation was down to poor end game management by Enzo? Steve Howard made a point of it that when Kacey came on it caused us to sit in deeper, that we neither went more attacking, or more defensive, we had players that I thought were flagging and we just didn’t utilise the bench to our advantage. I love enzo, but can’t help but feel this is his blind spot 

Think he made the subs too late. We were flagging, needed some fresh legs in midfield at least to prevent the pressure being piled on. 

Daka should have been hauled sooner, and Fatawu hooked instead of Mavididi. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Dakas against Swansea was dubious. The one against Cov isn't one I'd moan about not being given either.

The one against Cov! The one where KDH was taken out above the knee! Most blatant pen you’ll see and should have been a red card to boot! The Daka one I agree, was beyond soft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Think he made the subs too late. We were flagging, needed some fresh legs in midfield at least to prevent the pressure being piled on. 

To be honest I was surprised Mavididi went off and not Fatawu, so agree with that.. I was also shocked with McAteer coming in to see the game out instead of Albrighton. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

I thought his subs were wrong, should have been Yunus or Albrighton rather than Kasey, but I wouldn't say it's his blind spot so much as last night was his 47th league game as a manager, he's a lot more inexperienced than people acknowledge at times

• Like 2

Even at my most pessimistic I know every other team in the championship would swap places with us in a heartbeat. We've won so many games that a win can sometimes feel routine and a defeat a complete disaster when neither is an appropriate reaction. It's the emotional investment involved in supporting a club which non football fans just don't understand. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

As a results based business I don't think what I have said is nonsense. 

2 goals scored and five conceded and nil points is not a top of the table performance.

As I have said on many previous occasions in football taking your chances at any level is a priority. Yes, we're great at creating them but have no ruthless streak.

Yeah but you can't just look at the goals and define our performances as poor.

The linesman cost us one goal, so we scored three, we conceded an own goal and a deflection that was never going in - so that's only really three  that we've had any control over.

Also Leeds' form, especially at home, suggested they'd blow us away, when in fact we made them look bang average.  The Boro game, it was only our finishing that let us down, we did enough to generate 24 shots.

I'm not saying we were great or even deserved to win those games, but we didn't play like a team that deserved to get beat.

And that's just the last two games, we won the previous five, outscoring our opponents 15-2.  

So, to criticise our form is a little unfair.  I take back nonsense, but only to replace it with 'very little sense'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, StanSP said:

And why only 2? Doyle, Praet, Akgun, Albrighton, Coady, all extremely capable players. I understand Kacey for his pace as Leeds were pushing on very strong but we were losing the midfield battle, but before that as you say, they were there for the taking, taking the initiative can sometimes finish the game, that’s what we were doing in the first half of the season 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I think more what enzo said - when they got that goal, the near silent crowd and the momentum totally changed.  I think the timing, following straight after our changes was coincidental. Add to that, that as capitulations go, there wasn't much we could have done about either of the last two goals.

That said, for me, the subs needed to be ten minutes before to capitalize with fresh legs when we were dominating.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

You mean the last 2 games, right, because if you look at our last 5, 6 and 10 games we have the 6th, 5th and 4th best form.

And even then, the Leeds game, we played superbly, Leeds just got all the breaks.

Yes, I do, the last 2 games, and, yes we’ve played well in both games, which is why I believe we will be fine, but closer then I would like health wise🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

And why only 2? Doyle, Praet, Akgun, Albrighton, Coady, all extremely capable players. I understand Kacey for his pace as Leeds were pushing on very strong but we were losing the midfield battle, but before that as you say, they were there for the taking, taking the initiative can sometimes finish the game, that’s what we were doing in the first half of the season 

I think he saw that we were totally dominating and creating chance after chance, but that daka and mavi were clearly flagging (probably why they made such messes of those one on ones), so he made a like for like swap.

I think that leeds scoring straight after makes it look in hindsight like a bad call. but the reasoning behind the changes was sound.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lad1966 said:

Yes, I do, the last 2 games, and, yes we’ve played well in both games, which is why I believe we will be fine, but closer then I would like health wise🤣🤣🤣

Bit harsh to judge us on those two games (especially one being our hardest game on paper this season) - look at the five previous games - 5 wins from 5, scored 15 conceded 2 (thanks Winksy)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Wonder if Tony Mowbray is very unwell and had an emergency operation or just a minor procedure over something that was just spotted..

Nah it said he’s having an op which would mean a 6 week recovery. Although it sounded like he needed it asap so assuming it’ll be something like a bypass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

I get what you mean, and sure it would be a drag especially after leading for so long, but you have to remember that Leeds picked a manager with a track record of doing well in this division, and failing badly in the PL.  We've taken a risk on a long term plan for a much higher ceiling.  As long as we go up i'd rather be there with Maresca that Farke.

Potential higher ceiling, you are speaking likes it’s a given. 
just like how Kompany is finding out 

4 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

Read the Martin thread. Great therapy.

Best advice all day.

My favourite quote, “Name me one successful manager who is a LEGO haired vegan”

WOW!! All joking aside, does sound like RM is tinkering a lot since their first defeat which can only be really good for us.

Edited by SafewayFox
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, smallpauldj said:

I don't know about all of you, but I'm hoping Danny Ward starts next week and has a good game like his last one. This is Danny Ward of Huddersfield im talking about. :yesyes:

Don't do that to me before I've had morning coffee. :colder:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

As we seem to capitulate late in quite a few games might this be down to bad form of the players? they shouldn´t be done by 70 mins.