Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

I'm a little surprised we didn't utilise the loan market more. We must have good connections there. Just think it would look ridiculous to complain about signings when it's one of the strongest squads to ever play at this level.

Surely it makes no difference if it was loans or salaried players - we had to get people out before we could bring anyone in.

On the subs front, as much as i love him and his experience, i am not buying and Sharky is someone that makes a difference seeing the Leeds game out. I'm not sure Akgun has the physicality to help either and Praet is lightweight. We miss a batch of experienced but solid football 24-28 year old players. 

I do think Vesty looked spent after an brilliant first 70 mins game, and don't understand why we didn't use Coady ( or even have haver Souttar available who has helped see out games).  But we are really missing solid reinforcements for the 2 winger,  Winks and Ndidi.

13 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Surely it makes no difference if it was loans or salaried players - we had to get people out before we could bring anyone in.

We got 3 players out though, Smithies, Thomas (who was already out though before returning) and Casadei.

That Leeds bench against us looked much better than ours. I hope Ipswich have a couple of rough injuries, that'll make them drop off abit, hopefully...

22 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Having recently undergone a prostatectomy I can confirm there's a 6 week period after surgery you are restricted from any sport, driving, etc. I did wonder when 6 weeks was mentioned. 

I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow!

Get well soon pal!

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

On the subs front, as much as i love him and his experience, i am not buying and Sharky is someone that makes a difference seeing the Leeds game out. I'm not sure Akgun has the physicality to help either and Praet is lightweight. We miss a batch of experienced but solid football 24-28 year old players. 

I do think Vesty looked spent after an brilliant first 70 mins game, and don't understand why we didn't use Coady ( or even have haver Souttar available who has helped see out games).  But we are really missing solid reinforcements for the 2 winger,  Winks and Ndidi.

Well we lost 1 loan player and didn't replace. Could have looked to get 1 in and leave us in roughly the same position financially.

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

You could have had Fabio Silva as a spare striker if you all think Daka is crap. Rangers took him off us on loan for free just by paying his wages in full.

Watched some of the rangers game last week I think it was and he was terrible 🙈

Could have done with var in 2 games we dropped points in tht would probably seen us get 3 points in each of had gone our way. Ipswich away pen never given at 1-0 and daka goal not given at 1-0

i don’t like var but it would probably have been useful for a change 😂 I am sure there is more but these 2 annoy me the most 

Just now, Number 6 said:

Well we lost 1 loan player and didn't replace. Could have looked to get 1 in and leave us in roughly the same position financially.

We don't know the details on the financials behind any of them really. We also don't know if the club overstretched first half of the season and needed to have more than 1 loan outgoing to cover. We don't know if Sensi was hoped to be that 1 loan that could come in before the deal slightly changed, and we don't know if there was nervousness that another of Victor or Bouba could be sent back and the club (with FFP in mind) just played it a little safe.

What we do know is that there wasn't resources so really 'strengthen' in many of the key areas that matter to the squads system (wingers and midfield).  Right now there seems to be:

• Unwillingness to use Akgun, rightly or wrongly, probably due to not wanting to commit to his future at this stage. This is therefore a loan deal causing an issue right now rather than benefiting the team, which is a shame because i have a lot of time for Akgun.
  • Nothing to cover both Riccy P and Winks at the same time. Hamza can play either but if he is utilised at all it means no cover for the other player. Winks has barely been rested in a very busy season, and i think is starting to show it a little towards the end of games.
  • Poor cover for wingers. Enzo uses Kasey but he'd not performed since coming back from Injury, and i personally don't think Sharky is someone who is hugely viable anymore in these big games. 
  • Unwillingness to use Coady and Souttar. I presume we see Coady for the next few games, but it wouldn't surprise me if Enzo opts for Nelson instead against QPR. Souttar remains on the naughty step. Vesty and Faes are starting to look knackered towards the end of games and it really showed in the last 10 against Leeds.
  • No 'alternative' to KDH when he is not performing (was outstanding against Leeds mind you)
  • Ndidi out and Cassadei gone, means we either apologetically play Praet (who is weak but tidy), or move Riccy forward. We don't have a recognised 1st choice here.

So all things considered, both through playing ability and a bit of club politics, there aren't recognised game changers to come on. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

We don't know the details on the financials behind any of them really. We also don't know if the club overstretched first half of the season and needed to have more than 1 loan outgoing to cover. We don't know if Sensi was hoped to be that 1 loan that could come in before the deal slightly changed, and we don't know if there was nervousness that another of Victor or Bouba could be sent back and the club (with FFP in mind) just played it a little safe.

What we do know is that there wasn't resources so really 'strengthen' in many of the key areas that matter to the squads system (wingers and midfield).  Right now there seems to be:

• Unwillingness to use Akgun, rightly or wrongly, probably due to not wanting to commit to his future at this stage. This is therefore a loan deal causing an issue right now rather than benefiting the team, which is a shame because i have a lot of time for Akgun.
  • Nothing to cover both Riccy P and Winks at the same time. Hamza can play either but if he is utilised at all it means no cover for the other player. Winks has barely been rested in a very busy season, and i think is starting to show it a little towards the end of games.
  • Poor cover for wingers. Enzo uses Kasey but he'd not performed since coming back from Injury, and i personally don't think Sharky is someone who is hugely viable anymore in these big games. 
  • Unwillingness to use Coady and Souttar. I presume we see Coady for the next few games, but it wouldn't surprise me if Enzo opts for Nelson instead against QPR. Souttar remains on the naughty step. Vesty and Faes are starting to look knackered towards the end of games and it really showed in the last 10 against Leeds.
  • No 'alternative' to KDH when he is not performing (was outstanding against Leeds mind you)
  • Ndidi out and Cassadei gone, means we either apologetically play Praet (who is weak but tidy), or move Riccy forward. We don't have a recognised 1st choice here.

So all things considered, both through playing ability and a bit of club politics, there aren't recognised game changers to come on. 

This will be happening for all clubs. Everyone has injuries, everyone has weaker areas of their squads. We're still better equipped than at least 20 teams in the division.

I think the other factor in us not having a bench of like for like quality is that the first 11 quality is so high too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This will be happening for all clubs. Everyone has injuries, everyone has weaker areas of their squads. We're still better equipped than at least 20 teams in the division.

I think the other factor in us not having a bench of like for like quality is that the first 11 quality is so high too. 

Yup - but we are pushing for the top spot. 

This was all in response to the potential of Enzo 'complaining' that he wasn't given reinforcements. I don't think he will because i think he has been very pragmatic all season. But the reality is that our bench doesn't quite have the depth that the hype suggests.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Oh yeah, the way they figured us out by knowing that if they let us have 21 shots, one would hit the woodwork one would be a save and the other 19 would be missed or blocked.  Yes, and the tactical master class of kicking the ball at the defender from outside the box and knowing it would deflect in.  Yes, by god, they had us figured out.

Easy tiger. You'd think I'd just predicted a slump into the play offs not one possible defeat in 12. I only said I rated the coach (as a lot of people do) 🤣

They were the first to take points off us and unlike a lot of other sides they didn't just sit back and take a hammering they actually had a go. Similar story with Sunderland but they don't have Mowbray anymore and are spiralling.

Watched the Saints yesterday on their equivalent of Foxehub.

They looked tired, passing was off, lacked energy, running back, getting first to the ball etc etc.

Their partisan commentators were saying that the long run of wins was like watching a different side and concluded that they look exhausted.

An easy parallel to be drawn to us.

The psychology of whether you feel tired, I think, will have a big part to play in the run in. Saints won’t be in the mix for top two now, and one other team will fall away feeling fatigue. 

A player signed in January to provide a bit of freshness is really important for the squad mentally. Like a well placed family member / supporter for a marathon runner … that little boost that gives you the second wind.

I wonder how many more January windows we’ll need before Rudkin learns?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

They looked tired, passing was off, lacked energy, running back, getting first to the ball etc etc.

Their partisan commentators were saying that the long run of wins was like watching a different side and concluded that they look exhausted.

The psychology of whether you feel tired, I think, will have a big part to play in the run in. Saints won’t be in the mix for top two now, and one other team will fall away feeling fatigue. 

A player signed in January to provide a bit of freshness is really important for the squad mentally. Like a well placed family member / supporter for a marathon runner … that little boost that gives you the second wind.

I too saw the Saints game and drew 0 parallels to how we are playing. They looked awful. We don't.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yup - but we are pushing for the top spot. 

This was all in response to the potential of Enzo 'complaining' that he wasn't given reinforcements. I don't think he will because i think he has been very pragmatic all season. But the reality is that our bench doesn't quite have the depth that the hype suggests.

That's fair. I'm not claiming it's an outstanding bench by any means, but it's certainly good enough for what we're aiming to achieve and what it's supporting. Will definitely be aided once Ndidi is back.

I think our squad is a bit imbalanced. Easy to say in hindsight, and I thought it was a good signing at the time, but the Coady money/wages should have been spent elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

That's fair. I'm not claiming it's an outstanding bench by any means, but it's certainly good enough for what we're aiming to achieve and what it's supporting. Will definitely be aided once Ndidi is back.

I think our squad is a bit imbalanced. Easy to say in hindsight, and I thought it was a good signing at the time, but the Coady money/wages should have been spent elsewhere. 

We all know that the Vesty redemption messed that all up. If Coady hadn't got injured, the Vesty redemption may have never happened and we would likely have been able to ship him off somewhere. That is hindsight i think no one predicted.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

It's bugger all to do with the perennial scapegoat Rudkin learning and it's an easy bandwagon to jump on, I'm sure sometimes people only do it to big themselves up and try and be popular. 

If the club, for whatever reasons, hadn't got the finances (which has been well alluded to by Enzo over and over again), then the chances are, they've not got the finances. It really is as simple as that and Rudkin and others can't do anything about it. You can't sell who nobody wants to buy or who doesn't want to go.

Why would they risk potential FFP issues just to keep a few whiney supporters happy? You and I haven't got the faintest idea of the finances or running of the club so why apportion blame to someone when you haven't a clue why other than total guesswork?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zeurelious said:

And willpower let's face it you lot were lucky, in end to get 2 draws against us we battered you in the second half of both games our defence leaks too many silly goals but then that's the price we pay for our open expansive style of play one thing is for sure which ever teams go up this year will have well and truly earned it good luck to you  Ross itfc

I mean given in the game at Portman road the ref missed a stonewall pen on KDH and gave one yellow for Harness committing three yellow worthy fouls in 5 minutes, then Ipswich scored with a deflection from their only shot vaguely on target, I'd not be talking about luck 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

That's our problem, we need subs to come on and see out leads. The requirement to get us back in games has been few and far between but the fact we immediately lose the plot on a number of occasions when we bring on the likes of McAteer is frustrating.

Outfield subs Saturday:  Cannon, McAteer

Unused outfield options :  Albrighton, Praet, Yunus, Coady, Nelson, Doyle.  Not an ideal bench as to balance of positions -- but not well used IMO.

Going to McAteer instead of Albrighton was inexplicable and it really hurt us. 

If he's going to wait until 75' or later to make changes, why not take advantage of fresh legs at CB?  Nelson (or even Coady) at 100% is better than Faes or Vesty at 80%.  He should consider subbing for Wout late in games where we are defending a lead.  He is not not great at maintaining his concentration, especially for 100 minutes, especially as he tires.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Outfield subs Saturday:  Cannon, McAteer

Unused outfield options :  Albrighton, Praet, Yunus, Coady, Nelson, Doyle.  Not an ideal bench as to balance of positions -- but not well used IMO.

Going to McAteer instead of Albrighton was inexplicable and it really hurt us. 

If he's going to wait until 75' or later to make changes, why not take advantage of fresh legs at CB?  Nelson (or even Coady) at 100% is better than Faes or Vesty at 80%.  He should consider subbing for Wout late in games where we are defending a lead.  He is not not great at maintaining his concentration, especially for 100 minutes, especially as he tires.

The subs were poor..

Praet to be used as he can accept the ball in tight spots, is strong enough to hold off challenges and therefore win easy free kicks. He could vene been used as a false 9, as Enzo has tried before 

If one of the wingers were tired, yes, Albrighton to sit on wing, relative deep and hit longer crossfield balls to switch play 

I never like subbing centre halves, as it's so pivotal, but I'm hindsight having Coady who'd been analysing the game from the bench would've been a big bonus 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It's bugger all to do with the perennial scapegoat Rudkin learning and it's an easy bandwagon to jump on, I'm sure sometimes people only do it to big themselves up and try and be popular. 

If the club, for whatever reasons, hadn't got the finances (which has been well alluded to by Enzo over and over again), then the chances are, they've not got the finances. It really is as simple as that and Rudkin and others can't do anything about it. You can't sell who nobody wants to buy or who doesn't want to go.

Why would they risk potential FFP issues just to keep a few whiney supporters happy? You and I haven't got the faintest idea of the finances or running of the club so why apportion blame to someone when you haven't a clue why other than total guesswork?

…and does Rudkin not have a part to play in those poor finances?

Signing poor players on big wages that we can’t shift? Disastrous transfer window last January? Relegation caused partially by Rudkin’s stubbornness to sack Rodgers? I could go on.

The fact that we couldn’t replace Casadei with another loan is probably more down to poor relationships with agents and clubs, rather than finances.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I never like subbing centre halves, as it's so pivotal, but I'm hindsight having Coady who'd been analysing the game from the bench would've been a big bonus 

In a late game, purely defensive situation, I don't see what we would lose with Coady over a tiring Vestergaard.  Not that we've seen him enough to be sure.

And Vesty was on that late yellow ...