Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It was a combination of James and Roberts coming on and Mavididi going off. Suddenly they went from Gray having a torrid time vs Stephy and Gnonto not being in it all half down pur left side to McAteer not being strong enough in supporting Justin at all and the momentum shifted.

Summerville was the quietest I've ever seen him until the final 10 minutes, I know it counts for absolutely nothing but to a man we had Leeds pinned and yet we leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of throwing away leads in such games.

I remember we would often keep a knackered Mahrez on the pitch, even though was knackered his mere presence tied players down, they just couldnt risk leaving him unmarked.

Mavididi knackered or not needs to stay on for 90 mins in my opinion, as it ties players up to keep him contained.  Which in turn prevents a full momentum shift pressuring us at the back.  This is why I made that Mavididi sub thread.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, iancognito said:

It's not bollocks at all. We had 21 shots and only two were on target (which is being generous counting Fatawu's post rattler). They went toe to toe with us, had a few chances themselves and were the first side who didn't just sit back and defend all game. "Figuring out" attacking was a better option than parking the bus. And again, saying that could be our only defeat hardly warrants your over-reaction to how we apparently played in one game 5 months ago

If a team allow their opposition to have 21 shots, that's, by any standard, really bad and not what you would expect from a team that have 'figured out' their opponent.  That we only had 2 on target says nothing about Hull's tactics.  If they'd figured us out they'd have nullified our attack, which clearly they didn't .

As for figuring out that "attacking was a better option than parking the bus." - that's not figuring a team out, that's just a game plan that may or may not work - other teams have came at as way more than Hull did and still not won.

Besides, they didn't come out 'attacking' they had 35% of the ball and just 7 shots, also this (below) is their heat map - hardly the picture of team coming out all guns blazing. 

They parked the bus and risked the odd counter which resulted in a lucky goal, whilst relying on our finishing being atrocious - hardly a masterplan of 'figuring out'

dasasas.jpg.9da5b06e7dcb1ab883a0f0747a408824.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bert said:

I think we were still finding our feet with a brand new style of play, new personnel, with them already familiar with they way they played and their personnel. 

You look at those first few games, most of them we won by the odd goal and some of the teams we beat we thought we’d be in for a tough game in the reverse fixture yet many of said games, bar Coventry we’ve wiped the floor with scoring plenty. 

This is true, and even then we still created a ridiculous amount of chances.

The reason we lost that game has nothing to do with hull as Iancognito suggests (certainly not that they worked out how to beat us), but everything to do with us misfiring.

22 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Just realised that win over Bournemouth means the Southampton game will be moved

I wonder wether they'll move it forward to 12th?

Failing that it will have to be the 16th, 23rd or 30th April. 

The West Brom game might also need to be moved.

Southampton will have 1 hell of an end to the season.

Edited by Foxmeister

15 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Just realised that win over Bournemouth means the Southampton game will be moved

I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Might give us a bit of respite from a tough set of fixtures. Although the only available window would be April 13-20 now, wouldn’t it??

6 hours ago, KFS said:

I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Might give us a bit of respite from a tough set of fixtures. Although the only available window would be April 13-20 now, wouldn’t it??

Gives Leeds if they lose to Chelsea tonight and Ipswich a chance to cut our lead even further though. Not sure what's the best outcome for us really.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Gives Leeds if they lose to Chelsea tonight and Ipswich a chance to cut our lead even further though. Not sure what's the best outcome for us really.

Leeds seem to have gone quite strong, hopefully that might impact them in their derby this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

Leeds seem to have gone quite strong, hopefully that might impact them in their derby this weekend.

I actually think Leeds will drop points at some point in the next 3 games.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Congratulations to Leeds, FA Cup winners 2024 (discounting ties played in February).

Still not made the quarter finals since 2002/03. Massive club.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It seems likely, there's a reason why winning runs seldom go on this long.  They looked beatable against us and against a young, mediocre chelsea side.  And now the pressure (let's face it, they had nothing to lose up until the game against us) is on them it's going to be much harder to sustain the standard they've set.

23 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

It seems likely, there's a reason why winning runs seldom go on this long.  They looked beatable against us and against a young, mediocre chelsea side.  And now the pressure (let's face it, they had nothing to lose up until the game against us) is on them it's going to be much harder to sustain the standard they've set.

If they Leeds & Ipswich don’t drop points,we just have to equal them,

with a loss and a draw buffer,….or 3 draws if GD we keep the upperhand…

Or if we think positive,every points loss from Leeds n Ipswich helps to better our buffer balance..

For Southampton…We have to return

3 losses and a draw,or 6 draws,or a mix thereof.

Permutations,Permutations & permutations …with and without pts record…

This has slapped a few in the face,that thought cynically,

there is not too much in the championship or lower leagues..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

They're losing at Huddersfield. I've seen the script. Could've been a fake but looked pretty real to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/02/2024 at 17:34, Out Foxed said:

funny that 20 years ago we would have made the champions league if we'd won the games we were leading in at the 75th minute and we're ****ing up again.

Wasn't quite Champions League. We'd have finished about 9th or something if we kept leads we had in 75th minute. 

Yeah it still haunts me that much. 

22 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

If they Leeds & Ipswich don’t drop points,we just have to equal them,

with a loss and a draw buffer,….or 3 draws if GD we keep the upperhand…

Or if we think positive,every points loss from Leeds n Ipswich helps to better our buffer balance..

For Southampton…We have to return

3 losses and a draw,or 6 draws,or a mix thereof.

Permutations,Permutations & permutations …with and without pts record…

This has slapped a few in the face,that thought cynically,

there is not too much in the championship or lower leagues..

Totally - it's in our own hands.  We have a buffer if we lose or draw, for the chasing three every point dropped is two points they need to make up with one less game to do it in.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

They're losing at Huddersfield. I've seen the script. Could've been a fake but looked pretty real to me.

It's a bit of a banana skin for them, actually.  A derby, and Huddersfield is looking better under Breitenreiter (who knows Farke well).  Plus a short turnaround and early kickoff after a pretty intense cup tie.

On 28/02/2024 at 17:15, moore_94 said:

8 points off the play offs and far too inconsistent against teams they should be beating. Little chance of making it has turned into next to no chance with that injury.

Regardless of the injury they'll obviously turn it on when they play us next week, like they seem to do against the better teams.

On 28/02/2024 at 22:03, Ric Flair said:

dont forget tho, Leeds have a number of key players who will more than likely be playing for Wales in their Euros play off games this month too,

Rodon, Ampadu, James, Roberts

be a massive worry if any of them get an injury

On 27/02/2024 at 19:00, Lillehamring said:

If a team allow their opposition to have 21 shots, that's, by any standard, really bad and not what you would expect from a team that have 'figured out' their opponent.  That we only had 2 on target says nothing about Hull's tactics.  If they'd figured us out they'd have nullified our attack, which clearly they didn't .

As for figuring out that "attacking was a better option than parking the bus." - that's not figuring a team out, that's just a game plan that may or may not work - other teams have came at as way more than Hull did and still not won.

Besides, they didn't come out 'attacking' they had 35% of the ball and just 7 shots, also this (below) is their heat map - hardly the picture of team coming out all guns blazing. 

They parked the bus and risked the odd counter which resulted in a lucky goal, whilst relying on our finishing being atrocious - hardly a masterplan of 'figuring out'

dasasas.jpg.9da5b06e7dcb1ab883a0f0747a408824.jpg

didnt Rosenior also say they got lucky or something like that, 

some of our fans have sort memories on things, as we've said before, every single game we've not won this season we could have easily got more from, we've not took our chances in just about all of them

thats football

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

lumped on southampton, ipswich and leeds… guarantees someone drops points 

I am definitely doing this! 😅

• Like 1