Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

They are at home but yeah it could be horrible. Just depends though as if Southampton can't go up and are in the playoffs then they are likely to rest players 

Ha ha forgot it was at Elland Road

10 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Southampton away on the last day is a horrible one for them

Potentially a lovely game with Saints unable to get automatic promotion resting players for the play offs. 

And they’re at home 

It is brutal this division. 8 more games than the Premier league, serie a and la liga. 12 more than bundesliga. With our injuries, small squad and the same players having to play every game, it's understandable why a few have looked jaded recently. Add in the cup run as well and it takes its toll. Another reason why it would be better if games were a little more comfortable than tonight as then we can take the likes of KDH off and give them a bit of a rest. 

7 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Potentially a lovely game with Saints unable to get automatic promotion resting players for the play offs. 

And they’re at home 

But might still be close enough to 3rd that you'd want to get 6th in the semi's rather than have to play West Brom who'll likely get 5th.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

And they’re at home 

I think most try and go in to the playoffs in form and with some momentum. No point resting players then getting a spanking against Leeds

Just now, st albans fox said:

We don’t have a small squad 

we have a coach who only trusts about 15 players 

The vast majority of this league would give their right arms for our squad depth ….

We made many changes against Bournemouth and did well. I would say we do have more depth than most in this league 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hackenbacker said:

I want that feeling Ipswich supporters must have for their team.... pride 

Sorry for jumping on - you're right, the pride that runs through the fans is incredible.  We never expected this this season having just come up.  We may not have the most expensive squad, but we never give up even when the going is tough.  We were not good today - the first half was one of the worst games I've seen for a long while but we brought on killer subs and changed the game and dug deep.  Morsy is driving that belief through the team.  I wouldn't say we are any luckier than other teams - we have lost just four games. Sometimes you get the rub other times you dont. Today we had an absolutely s***e ref and with a decent ref their first goal would't have stood.
In short, we are just happy to be mixing it up with the bog boys - if we get up fantastic, if not - what a fantastic couple of years which we'll build on.

But be prepared for a hard run in - we prepared for this last season and prepared to go again and make it a good battle

• Like 4

I only watch our games and recency bias comes into play, but how are teams like Southampton and Ipswich able to come back from behind so regularly and score so much? Is there just a difference when it comes to mentality or do they play differently?

Edited by lgfualol

7 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I only watch our games and recency bias comes into play, but how are teams like Southampton and Ipswich able to come back from behind so regularly and score so much? Is there just a difference when it comes to mentality or do they play differently?

wouldnt put them in that bracket lately, one game against Birmingham doenst change it for me, and they both play it differently to us

1 hour ago, trabuch said:

They looked pretty fearless - even at 3-2 up. If they were psychologically suspect, the penalty miss would have done for them (same goes for their fans). I hope our win tonight will have given us a bit of a boost and we can start winning with confidence again . I still believe we are the best team in this division, but sometimes it looks like the players aren't so sure.

Ipswich have the experience of having the pressure of last seasons promotion to call on too.

So this isnt new to them.

If its on pure quality of footballer, they would be no where near us or Leeds, but its about more than that.

They actually only lost 4 games last season, the same as we did, when we were promoted from league one, so they have lost only 8 of their last 76 league games, thats pretty impressive, even if 46 of those were in league one.

• Like 2

Ipswich has shown incredible grit in saving all these wins from losing positions.  But what I see is that over the last 11 matches, Leeds has taken 31 points and Ipswich 26.  Fine.  But Leeds has allowed 3 goals in that span, and Ipswich 14.  If they keep shipping goals like this, I’m skeptical they can keep it up.  There’s a certain luck factor involved in what they’ve been doing.

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We don’t have a small squad 

we have a coach who only trusts about 15 players 

The vast majority of this league would give their right arms for our squad depth ….

In certain positions we don't have depth like wingers and centre mids. We have loads of strikers and centre backs but little options in other areas. 

We should have enough experienced members of our team to grab the rest by the scruff of their necks and drag them over the finish line. The graft I saw from fatawa and yunus today showed me they care and didn’t want to lose today. That’s encouraging!

6 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

wouldnt put them in that bracket lately, one game against Birmingham doenst change it for me, and they both play it differently to us

To be fair they did come from 2-0 then 3-2 down against Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago. Whereas when we go 2-0 to even the poorest of teams, we will only ever pull it back to 2-1. 2016 was it the last time we came from 2 goals down to get anything in a league game…(stats courtesy of @Dan LCFC)

• Like 1

Makes you wonder what things would be like if we had gone for McKenna in the summer. Maybe he is just one of those who works at one club or maybe he wouldn’t have been the right guy to quickly lift the gloom at the start of the season. But if he could have done what he’s done at Ipswich with our players available, there’s a good chance we’d be out of sight!

5 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Ipswich has shown incredible grit in saving all these wins from losing positions.  But what I see is that over the last 11 matches, Leeds has taken 31 points and Ipswich 26.  Fine.  But Leeds has allowed 3 goals in that span, and Ipswich 14.  If they keep shipping goals like this, I’m skeptical they can keep it up.  There’s a certain luck factor involved in what they’ve been doing.

To be fair 14 goals conceded in 11 games isn’t horrendously bad, especially when you’re the leagues top scorers.

I hate the calling of what Ipswich are doing lucky, they’re not lucky - lucky is a once off occurrence - like one game the opponent had a goal wrongfully disallowed and you got lucky. When the same thing happens over and over again it is certainly not luck. Over 36 games Ipswich are the second best team in the division, they’re where they are deservedly, we are deservingly Top and Leeds are 3rd.

There is still 10 games to go and at the end of those 10 games everyone will be where they are on merit and merit alone

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Still think we need another 20 points from 10 now to be certain of automatic giving us 101.

6 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. Or even better 7 wins 3 losses for 102. 

After the international break we have a 100% record this season against the 9 teams we have left to play. Honestly, I think we’ll go close to that again and easily run home with it now.

7 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Still think we need another 20 points from 10 now to be certain of automatic giving us 101.

6 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. Or even better 7 wins 3 losses for 102. 

If Leeds get 7 wins and 2 draws they get 99. I think they'll get that. 

But I think we can stumble to six wins and a draw. 

Fwiw, I think the likeliest scenario is the wobbling top team sorted their act out and  picks up form, even if it is the last 5 games, and sail away comfortably in the end