Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Just now, Stadt said:

McKenna has performed miracles at Ipswich. With the squad and budgets we have they should be nowhere near us - he's only managed about 65 more games than Maresca too.

What I would say, Ipswich are playing without the pressure of the 3 relegated teams, hence they have the freedom to play in the why that they do. I think with us, it’s not necessarily the tactics, but the pressure doesn’t allow us to play these tactics in the way Enzo wants, also it’s obvious that our engine room is tried, injuries has meant that players like KDH and Winks have played more then they needed to and as a result we’ve lacked fluency in our passing. I am hoping we can get a positive result on Saturday and use the 3 week break from the league to get some fluency back🏆🏆🏆

• Like 2

The upcoming games...

Leeds and Ipswich both play their next game before us. Which isn't ideal. Then they both play game 38 before us. 

So worst case scenario, lose to Hull, with Ipswich and Leeds win their 2 games and it's:

Ipswich 84

Leeds 82

Leicester 81 (with a game in hand)

Then our next two fixtures after that come before the others play, but we'll have an annoying game in hand for a while...

Weds 6th

• Southampton vs Preston

Fri 8th

• Shef W vs Leeds

Sat 9th

• Cardiff vs Ipswich (12:30)
  • Hull vs Leicester
  • Southampton vs Sunderland

Sat 16th

• Ipswich vs Shef W

Sun 17th

• Leeds vs Millwall

Fri 29th

• Bristol vs Leicester (12:30)
  • Southampton vs Middlesbrough (15:00)
  • Blackburn vs Ipswich (17:30)
  • Watford vs Leeds (20:00)

Mon 1st April

• Leicester vs Norwich (12:30)
  • Ipswich vs Southampton (17:30)
  • Leeds vs Hull (20:00)
  • Like 1

While the form of Ipswich is impressive, it's just their turn to beat the teams we breezed past as well. 

I'm not saying they'll fall off a cliff, but they'll drop points more regularly from here.

If we put together solid 2ppg form, that should be enough.

Only ourselves to blame if we can't manage that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

While the form of Ipswich is impressive, it's just their turn to beat the teams we breezed past as well. 

I'm not saying they'll fall off a cliff, but they'll drop points more regularly from here.

If we put together solid 2ppg form, that should be enough.

Only ourselves to blame if we can't manage that.

W7 D2 L1 gives us 104

The maximum points for the others:

Ipswich 108

Leeds 106

Southampton 103

EDIT: And of course they can't all get those totals due to Ipswich vs Southampton 1st April and Leeds vs Southampton 4th May

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

The upcoming games...

Leeds and Ipswich both play their next game before us. Which isn't ideal. Then they both play game 38 before us. 

So worst case scenario, lose to Hull, with Ipswich and Leeds win their 2 games and it's:

Ipswich 84

Leeds 82

Leicester 81 (with a game in hand)

Then our next two fixtures after that come before the others play, but we'll have an annoying game in hand for a while...

Weds 6th

• Southampton vs Preston

Fri 8th

• Shef W vs Leeds

Sat 9th

• Cardiff vs Ipswich (12:30)
  • Hull vs Leicester
  • Southampton vs Sunderland

Sat 16th

• Ipswich vs Shef W

Sun 17th

• Leeds vs Millwall

Fri 29th

• Bristol vs Leicester (12:30)
  • Southampton vs Middlesbrough (15:00)
  • Blackburn vs Ipswich (17:30)
  • Watford vs Leeds (20:00)

Mon 1st April

• Leicester vs Norwich (12:30)
  • Ipswich vs Southampton (17:30)
  • Leeds vs Hull (20:00)

The order of games could really have an impact and we'll need a really good mentality to get through this. The Hull game is so important, get to the international break on top and have a mini reset. 

Will be interesting to see how Southampton react to the other 3 teams winning before they play tonight. 

• Like 1

I know you can’t predict anything in this league and I was backing us to go unbeaten at home before the Boro game (so sorry about that) but if we beat Hull I’m back to being almost certain we’re up 

55 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

W7 D2 L1 gives us 104

The maximum points for the others:

Ipswich 108

Leeds 106

Southampton 103

Those maximums need slightly adjusting as they all can’t get that with Southampton still having to play all three teams, someone has to drop points along the way. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Of course he was!

Tbf I took a mate to the game last night who bought a programme and the first thing he pointed out was how big Sunderland's listed squad was compared to ours. We've also used the 4th fewest players in the division this Championship season, and we've used a fair amount of the resources available to us.

The last few weeks has shown that it doesn't take much in the way of injuries to leave us light.

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

14 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Those maximums need slightly adjusting as they all can’t get that with Southampton still having to play all three teams, someone has to drop points along the way. 

Yes sorry forgot to add that note. I'm not going to adjust them because it's really tricky to figure out. But I should have had the note. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I suppose the other thing as well is, for us to not get Autos, 2 of them need to overtake us. With Southampton involved in both fixtures but also the team furthest behind, the whole 'they still play each other' thing has less relevance, since Ipswich and Leeds could win both games. 

18 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

Tbf I took a mate to the game last night who bought a programme and the first thing he pointed out was how big Sunderland's listed squad was compared to ours. We've also used the 4th fewest players in the division this Championship season, and we've used a fair amount of the resources available to us.

The last few weeks has shown that it doesn't take much in the way of injuries to leave us light.

They have used the same amount of players 29 with less rotation 

1 hour ago, Noahfence said:

I know you can’t predict anything in this league and I was backing us to go unbeaten at home before the Boro game (so sorry about that) but if we beat Hull I’m back to being almost certain we’re up 

I remember those days! Lady behind me at the KP went for surgery earlier in the season and said she couldn't come back until February. I jokingly said we would be promoted by then. Im such a tool.

41 minutes ago, Mike the Metal Ed said:

Firstly, kudos for going to Sunderland on a Tuesday night 

secondly, that’s normal on home programmes where the home club list their 25 man squad and also loads of U21 players that can be elected . The away team is usually just the 25 man squad. 
using the 4th fewest players reflects the coach’s confidence in them rather than the number available.  Perhaps the very technical nature of our approach makes a difference to that but the numbers are there 

21 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I didn't realise it was so tight in the bottom half, I mean I know it always is pretty compact but anyone in bottom half can go down. 

4 of them on 38 points spanning the relegation zone as well!

What a job Danny Rohl is doing at Wednesday as well! If he keeps them up he’d be manager of the season for me, closely run by McKenna.

• Like 1