Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

19 hours ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Ipswich deploy peculiar tactics of shooting when in good positions. Can’t see it catching on

We spurn too many good opportunities inside the box, looking to make them great opportunities, but usually turning it over.

We are highest in the top four (and the entire league) for xG from open play, but lowest in actual goals.

top4openplay.JPG.f509d6d3459265e3767f193f4fd8a439.JPG

Seems like the only thing we've done about it in the last few games is take more pot-shots from outside the box.

7 hours ago, Lad1966 said:

What I would say, Ipswich are playing without the pressure of the 3 relegated teams, hence they have the freedom to play in the why that they do. I think with us, it’s not necessarily the tactics, but the pressure doesn’t allow us to play these tactics in the way Enzo wants, also it’s obvious that our engine room is tried, injuries has meant that players like KDH and Winks have played more then they needed to and as a result we’ve lacked fluency in our passing. I am hoping we can get a positive result on Saturday and use the 3 week break from the league to get some fluency back🏆🏆🏆

I think also you can add to this that we are playing in a way that is more likely to be sustainable at a higher level, it allows us to add (when funds allow) better players without having to change the system.

Whereas Ipswich is all about 'win today and worry about the future when it happens'.

20 minutes ago, WorcesterBlue said:

Ipswich

I have read a lot of what around here they would call "Squit" on this forum concerning Ipswich.

"Jammy last minute goals"
"All deflections".

On the other hand some knowledgeable comments, especially after last night. 

Ha, ha.

I thought that I would explain why this interloper from the lower leagues is up there with those with 5 times the money.

First came the recruiting. Town only take in those that are technical (skilful), ambitious and hard working.  
Thereby giving a gifted manager something to work with. 

Our plan is to work it from the back with a 4231 system.
But crucially the full backs are used as wing backs who often can be found very high so when we do break we have a massive overload of up to 8 players. Lief Davis (fullback) has 14 assists already this season. How many has your best player got ?
The down side is of course that we sometimes leave the back vulnerable.  Not surprisingly we tend to score a lot and concede a lot. The two of our most frequent scores are 3-2 and 4-3. It's boring at Portman Road.

But then we come to the substitutions. The forwards have been told to run and harry hard because at 70 or so minutes 3 or all 4 of them are going to come off and keen, skillful blokes who have been champing at the bit to be involved enter the field. These fresh players run at tired defenders who have already been out there for an hour and a quarter.

We dont give up, we dont stop. No matter what.

The result is that we have had 20 odd goals scored by substitutes and many goals scored before or just after 90 minutes. We have now got 27 points from losing positions. You might think it a good idea not to be losing in the first place and you are not wrong. But you cant make an omelette without breaking eggs and if your primary thing is attack then you are going to let some in. 
It's not luck, it's not a secret, it's what we do

I could not be prouder of this team and I watched those managed by Alf and Bobby.

My choice is a Town/Foxes promotion.

COYB

All of that may well be true, you're still lucky. Yes you make your own luck and you certainly do, but you are still lucky. All for it though and hope you come up with us (providing we make it over the line).

23 minutes ago, WorcesterBlue said:

Ipswich

I have read a lot of what around here they would call "Squit" on this forum concerning Ipswich.

"All deflections".

Ha, ha.

I thought that I would explain why this interloper from the lower leagues is up there with those with 5 times the money.

First came the recruiting. Town only take in those that are technical (skilful), ambitious and hard working.  

But crucially the full backs are used as wing backs who often can be found very high so when we do break we have a massive overload of up to 8 players. Lief Davis (fullback) has 14 assists already this season. How many has your best player got ?
The down side is of course that we sometimes leave the back vulnerable.  Not surprisingly we tend to score a lot and concede a lot. The two of our most frequent scores are 3-2 and 4-3. It's boring at Portman Road.

But then we come to the substitutions. The forwards have been told to run and harry hard because at 70 or so minutes 3 or all 4 of them are going to come off and keen, skillful blokes who have been champing at the bit to be involved enter the field. These fresh players run at tired defenders who have already been out there for an hour and a quarter.

The result is that we have had 20 odd goals scored by substitutes and many goals scored before or just after 90 minutes. We have now got 27 points from losing positions. You might think it a good idea not to be losing in the first place and you are not wrong. But you cant make an omelette without breaking eggs and if your primary thing is attack then you are going to let some in. 

I could not be prouder of this team and I watched those managed by Alf and Bobby.

COYB

There is a chunk of jealousy as well, as we play a controlled, sensible way and it works, or at least has been thus far. Some would understandably want a more dynamic (I did not say gung ho) approach. However, I think some of that comes from a false recollection of how we used to play, or at least a selective recollection. We can appreciate what Enzo has done, especially after the toxic relegation, the stability and control is appreciated at least in part, but watching you or Leeds give some the impression that you guys play like this 24x7 makes some discontented I think.

Watched you last night after our games finished and it was exciting, easy to see why you score, never giving it up, that of course also means you are liable to concede playing thus.

Good luck (just not too much), and Foxes and you to go up please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

This aged as well as Marilyn Manson.

image.png.064ab1a8484eb8e6d689bb1def32e431.png

I'm still genuinely surprised. It wasn't exactly a vintage performance and I'm still far from convinced. Bit of luck taken we probably don't win tgat after 75 minutes of absolute honking football. 

39 minutes ago, WorcesterBlue said:

Ipswich

"All deflections".

Ha, ha.

COYB

Nothing but respect for what you've done but I do wish you guys would drop the little old Ipswich thing and references to money spent as you've proved that money doesn't equate to amount of success. The division is filled with wrecks of clubs who didn't make it back first time and didn't use their Premier League experience well - Blackburn, Stoke, QPR, Wednesday, Baggies not to mention your mates from Carrow Road. We had a hollowed out side and what was left was a frail mix of Rodgers rejects and players unwanted elsewhere. We jettisoned 11, many on frees and spent wisely on experience and promising talent. You don't just throw players in together and watch them destroy the league.

I'm not sure we've got 5 times the money, certainly not 5 times the talent but I hope we both go up because I'm sick to death of TalkLeeds LeedsSports banging on about their golden boys.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think also you can add to this that we are playing in a way that is more likely to be sustainable at a higher level, it allows us to add (when funds allow) better players without having to change the system.

Whereas Ipswich is all about 'win today and worry about the future when it happens'.

Yeah I mean they can’t possibly add better players, into a successful system that is on the brink of two consecutive promotions. 

“Whereas Ipswich is all about 'win today and worry about the future when it happens'.”

That could’ve be said at the end of last season.

Why do you think we are playing in a way that’s more sustainable ?

We have lost nearly double the amount they have?

After the international break Southampton are going to have to fit 10 games into 6 weeks.

They are going to be at 2 games a week for the rest of the season pretty much, it’s already tiring legs, and still having to play 6 of the top 10. I think, with them already 8 points behind Ipswich, it almost end their chance of autos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WorcesterBlue said:

Ipswich

"All deflections".

It's an interesting discussion, teams' luck or lack thereof. I've always been of the mind that it's too elusive to determine over the course of a whole campaign, but another late Ipswich charge, encouraged me to dive deeper into areas perhaps more commonly associated with good or bad fortune.

Points' change if refs blew on 90':
Leicester = 0
Ipswich = 0
Leeds = -2
Saints = -8

This surprised me most, but it's Southampton who have struck at the death to keep themselves vaguely in the hunt. The table would certainly make for easier reading if injury time were abolished. 

Own goals gained:
Leicester = 0 (for 1, against 1)
Ipswich = -2 (for 4, against 6)
Leeds = +1 (for 3, against 2)
Saints = +2 (for 2, against 0)

Ipswich have scored a surprising amount of own goals, surpassing those they've benefitted from. Some own goals are the product of poor defending and some the product of great attack play, rather than misfortune, so it isn't safe to conclude they have been unlucky here.

Football xG league table, excluding midweek:
Leicester = 65 points
Ipswich = 63 points
Leeds = 69 points
Saints = 59 points

Leeds most wasteful of the four sides according to this resource; they were incredibly fortunate in the away game but I suppose that was 1 match out of 36. Otherwise teams pretty much maintain their gaps.

Penalties gained:
Leicester = +11 (for 11, against 0)
Ipswich = 0 (for 3, against 3)
Leeds = +5 (for 6, against 1)
Saints = +1 (for 3, against 2)

Ipswich and Southampton may reasonably have anticipated positive scores here, given the significant advantages they've enjoyed over the average opponent this season (+350 and +550 touches in the box respectively, for instance), but it isn't safe to conclude that luck has shaped the wide divisions seen.

Deflections and woodwork:
No information is available on this from what I can gather, as much as I'm instantly reminded of Morsy's late leveller. It's impossible to wade in here, candidly.

Obvious referee errors:
Leicester: it doesn't get more obvious than the vital disallowed goal against Leeds, which has blown the race wide open.
Ipswich: "referee apology" search reveals officials apologised for two goals awarded to Preston in their 3-2 loss. 
Leeds: "apology" search reveals Rotherham were apologised to in what was admittedly a 3-0 loss to Leeds, for a handled goal.
Southampton: PGMOL apologised to Stoke for not awarding a penalty in their 1-0 loss to Southampton.

It's impossible to gain an accurate impression of refereeing incidents in other teams' games and so this segment was pointless, just what appeared on the first Google search page lol, but I didn't want to miss out mentioning Daka's disallowed goal. 😅

So to conclude, it isn't obviously apparent that Ipswich have been lucky, in coming back from behind as often as they have. They do have the tightest margins though, certainly of the top three, and in the crunch games it's Leicester who have had little or no luck.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Nothing but respect for what you've done but I do wish you guys would drop the little old Ipswich thing and references to money spent as you've proved that money doesn't equate to amount of success. The division is filled with wrecks of clubs who didn't make it back first time and didn't use their Premier League experience well - Blackburn, Stoke, QPR, Wednesday, Baggies not to mention your mates from Carrow Road. We had a hollowed out side and what was left was a frail mix of Rodgers rejects and players unwanted elsewhere. We jettisoned 11, many on frees and spent wisely on experience and promising talent. You don't just throw players in together and watch them destroy the league.

I'm not sure we've got 5 times the money, certainly not 5 times the talent but I hope we both go up because I'm sick to death of TalkLeeds LeedsSports banging on about their golden boys.

Filled with wrecks yes, but none as mighty as ours those clubs are not really comparable given the recent league, fa cup and European football plus 2 top 5 finishes.

“Leicester had the most expensive and highest-paid squad in history to be relegated from the Premier League. Their wage bill was more than £180m, the seventh-highest of any club in the division.”

the only recent team with an unexpected relegation was Newcastle 2009 and that was with 12th and 13th place finishes.

and they finished the following year as Champions with 104 

I did wonder what sort of reception I would get putting that bit about Town on here.

I would like to thank those who responded with thoughtful and reasoned arguments. 

I think we can all agree that it is a shame that Southampton have yet another game postponed. 

COYB

2 hours ago, WorcesterBlue said:

Ipswich

"All deflections".

Ha, ha.

COYB

Honestly wouldn’t give a shit if I were you wether people think it’s a lot of luck or not you’re clearly a very good side and second in the league on merit, play great exciting football. Yes you ship a few but you score a shit loads and look to have unreal fight and mentality to consistently turn games around!

all the best for the rest of the season (aslong as not at our expense)

• Like 1

If we win our next game, our points tally will have got us automatic promotion in a fair few of the last 10 years. Another win and it's pretty much all of the last 10 years. It's a shame the last few games have made people forget just how good we have been this season on the whole and how relentless the 4 chasers have been too.  High chance there will be 4 teams on 90+ points which I'm sure will never have happened, in recent times anyway

18 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

This sums up our recent run recently!

https://twitter.com/GoalsGalorecom/status/1765468666068389947/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1765468666068389947&currentTweetUser=GoalsGalorecom

:ph34r::nono:

2 players brought into the team tonight too as well.

Great finish from that distance, spotted the keeper off his line and let his instincts do the rest. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

West Brom done well with the Johnston signing. Might see them through into the playoffs with ease the way he's playing. 

way its going i think its 4/5 teams playing for 6th in the table, cos I cant see WBA not finishing 5th atm

7 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Great finish from that distance, spotted the keeper off his line and let his instincts do the rest. 

Quite .

Shame it’s his own keeper !

Most are blaming the goalie tbh - first start since he got sent off v you guys too.

Worse thing is looks like we’ve hardly made chances to get back into the game.

Bachman actually been the busier keeper .

Edited by Super_horns