Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

34 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Random question but does anyone know when the final match of the season will be played? Everything points to the Saturday and Sky says the season ends that day but I seem to remember it finishing on a Sunday before?

Currently a thread about this in the ticket and travel sub forum.

On 06/03/2024 at 20:02, HankMarvin said:

Yeah I mean they can’t possibly add better players, into a successful system that is on the brink of two consecutive promotions. 

“Whereas Ipswich is all about 'win today and worry about the future when it happens'.”

That could’ve be said at the end of last season.

Why do you think we are playing in a way that’s more sustainable ?

We have lost nearly double the amount they have?

Not saying they can't add better players, but they don't come across as a system team or at least not a system that has any proven durability at the top level.

Their success seems to be based on hard work and out-scoring opponents - sustaining that tends to rely on finding the right attitude rather than the right quality, it feels adding quality to that approach rather than just players with the same attitude is only going to mean at some point you have to change the system - as we discovered, we were much like ipswich in 15/16, but we quickly discovered that having a limited system based on attitude and out-scoring opponents isn't sustainable and that you have to play a different way to survive in the prem long term.

I think our policy is more sustainable because it's built around the system rather than the players.  the reason pep and klopp have been so successful is when they lose a top player like sane or david silva, they don't have to rethink everything.  Beyond that it's a variation on a model that has a proven track record, what precedent has been set for long term sustainability by a team that concedes well over a goal a game?

A team with a good defence can do well in the PL, but a team that leaks goals is føkked - look at us last year, scored more goals than chelsea but only 3 teams conceded more and two of them were leeds and southampton.

Their losses are moot really, because most of the games we've lost we did enough to win - Ipswich have drawn three times as many games as us and won 3 fewer - neither team have lost many so I dodn't think it relly says much about the virtue or no of wither system.

Only time will tell, but i prefer our path to theirs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Not saying they can't add better players, but they don't come across as a system team or at least not a system that has any proven durability at the top level.

Their success seems to be based on hard work and out-scoring opponents - sustaining that tends to rely on finding the right attitude rather than the right quality, it feels adding quality to that approach rather than just players with the same attitude is only going to mean at some point you have to change the system - as we discovered, we were much like ipswich in 15/16, but we quickly discovered that having a limited system based on attitude and out-scoring opponents isn't sustainable and that you have to play a different way to survive in the prem long term.

I think our policy is more sustainable because it's built around the system rather than the players.  the reason pep and klopp have been so successful is when they lose a top player like sane or david silva, they don't have to rethink everything.  Beyond that it's a variation on a model that has a proven track record, what precedent has been set for long term sustainability by a team that concedes well over a goal a game?

A team with a good defence can do well in the PL, but a team that leaks goals is føkked - look at us last year, scored more goals than chelsea but only 3 teams conceded more and two of them were leeds and southampton.

Their losses are moot really, because most of the games we've lost we did enough to win - Ipswich have drawn three times as many games as us and won 3 fewer - neither team have lost many so I dodn't think it relly says much about the virtue or no of wither system.

Only time will tell, but i prefer our path to theirs.

A revolutionary tactic I'm sure we'll all agree

• Haha 4

On 05/03/2024 at 21:57, Pliskin said:

Would be interesting to see how many of their goals would stand with VAR…. That said. Their attitude is commendable… and we’ve just watched us amble around a the pitch with zero pace, press or intensity of any kind. God knows what happens in this race, but it’s wide open.  

With vaR we, town would have more points for sure off the top of my head Preston 2 yards off-side for their 1st goal blatant foul for their 2nd and there are other similar instances I can't specifically remember 1 thing that has surprised me although perhaps it shouldn't the standard of refereeing is just as bad as league 1 refs should be in some sort of league table and forfeit their pay for crap performances week in week out truly atrocious performances with no repercussions but with 10s of millions of pounds at stake anyway I pray massive Leeds self combust and Leicester and Town go up 2 proper humble clubs and sets of fans generally I like to think 

Edited by zeurelious

7 hours ago, zeurelious said:

With vaR we, town would have more points for sure off the top of my head Preston 2 yards off-side for their 1st goal blatant foul for their 2nd and there are other similar instances I can't specifically remember 1 thing that has surprised me although perhaps it shouldn't the standard of refereeing is just as bad as league 1 refs should be in some sort of league table and forfeit their pay for crap performances week in week out truly atrocious performances with no repercussions but with 10s of millions of pounds at stake anyway I pray massive Leeds self combust and Leicester and Town go up 2 proper humble clubs and sets of fans generally I like to think 

Odd take about VAR - surely you’d appreciate that VAR would have given us a penalty against you lot in our first game?

Not calling you out but VAR would have altered a fair few of our outcomes too so hate the old adage but it surely evens itself out?

12 hours ago, Gazza M said:

Fancy Sheffield Wednesday at their place scrapping to survive to get something out of the Leeds match tomorrow night. Big Yorkshire rivalry and all that. 

won their last 4 and only conceded 1 goal. Similar to QPR when we faced them the other week. 

This wont be an easy game for Leeds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

won their last 4 and only conceded 1 goal. Similar to QPR when we faced them the other week. 

It’s got to that point in the season where, Rotherham aside, playing teams in the bottom half isn’t the easy hit it might have been earlier in the year.

All the sides from 14th to 23rd have had in-season management changes I believe.

8 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Cardiff in decent form too, so Ipswich might drop points 🤞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It’s got to that point in the season where, Rotherham aside, playing teams in the bottom half isn’t the easy hit it might have been earlier in the year.

All the sides from 14th to 23rd have had in-season management changes I believe.

Exactly, there wont really be any easy games for anyone from now until probably mid to end of April as by then there will be teams that are safe and cannot get into the play offs. 

A few results for some and they are pushing for play offs, some bad results for others and they are in a relegation battle. 

The tighter the league is the better it is for us as it makes it harder for those chasing us. 

For LCFC if it goes down to the last few, playing West Brom with only 3 games to go could be a blessing as they could be cemented into the paly offs and start to look at resting players. Also with Birmingham, Plymouth and Millwall they could all be safe by then too. 

Wednesday are in much better form and could take points off Leeds . Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday and all that .Hope they stay up actually. They do us a favour and the table looks a little healthier . This threat of a points deduction has put dampners on a tad for me . 

2 minutes ago, Pwilky58 said:

Wednesday are in much better form and could take points off Leeds . Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday and all that .Hope they stay up actually. They do us a favour and the table looks a little healthier . This threat of a points deduction has put dampners on a tad for me . 

Weds are 3rd in the form table (we are 13th, Southampton 12th). If they can scrape a win they jump up the table significantly. Its a big game tonight.

• Like 1

As others have said it's a massive weekend for us, especially considering we don't play next weekend.

A loss tomorrow and these two getting wins would mean we could quite easily find ourselves third by the time we next play. 

I do fancy both Wednesday and Cardiff to give them decent games though.

15 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Weds are 3rd in the form table (we are 13th, Southampton 12th). If they can scrape a win they jump up the table significantly. Its a big game tonight.

Definitely. I’m still not quite over our loss at Leeds though no way should we have lost .They dont win tonight we beat Hull and it eases the turmoil !!! . 

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Leeds tonight and early kickoff for Ipswich tomorrow could put a lot of pressure on us. 

Hull game is huge. 

I feel kicking off first is a competitive advantage, TV games really should be same kickoff time. :(

• Haha 1