Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

Southampton looked good tonight and even if JWP goes they have a good squad. I expect to see them right up there at the business end of the season. We need to sign at least a couple more players who can strengthen the first team. At least a right wing and creative midfielder and possibly a striker if one of the incumbents leave. 

Southampton did what they needed to do and won. Looked very good in the first half, fast and physical. Died off in the second half but you'd expect that first game back.

Wednesday were poor.

If we can get a similar result against cov I'd be happy considering we don't have a squad we are fully happy with yet

3 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If that's the case why are we fannying around so much, like we always do with Rudkin at the helm.

I still think there are too many here who got us into this mess, who think they are 'better' than the club.

Time will tell of course. I hope you are correct but I don't have much faith in the clubs senior leadership to get it right. 

Fannying around? We’ve sold two key assets and have made 5 signings with two more incoming? I think we’ve actually done fairly well. We’re targeting better players than your average championship team, so to make the signings we have fairly quickly has been good business. We can smash the club when we do badly, but so far this season bar the tour, it’s been okay transfer wise. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If that's the case why are we fannying around so much, like we always do with Rudkin at the helm.

I still think there are too many here who got us into this mess, who think they are 'better' than the club.

Time will tell of course. I hope you are correct but I don't have much faith in the clubs senior leadership to get it right. 

Wow !!!

Fannying around !! Really ?

We have been quite active with 5 + 2 in the incoming  & with 90 million done in the outgoing.

Plus we are nowhere near finished yet.

You are totally over reacting !!

It is fortunate for us that there is a number of weeks to go in the window as right now, I’m taking that side they fielded over whatever square pens in round hole we put out tomorrow.

This is not just ‘they are better than us blah blah blah’. There is a couple of things, they look very balanced. Excellent full backs for this level, central defenders who defend. Importantly the wide forwards either side of 2 main strikers who will rotate in Armstrong and Adams who have previous for smashing this division.

Also a core of players such as the two mentioned above as well as Tella and Manning who have been stand out players at this level.

I actually think it is the manager who will be their handicap as I’d have been disgusted to have had him here. 

We need to address this balance in the attacking areas. 

Couple of other points. It’s refreshing to see them go with Bazunu. He went straight from L1 to Prem and is very young. Contrary to popular belief on here, players can bounce back from a bad season with a chance of circumstances. I think he’ll do well for them.

Comments that Vardy is better than their strikers. Vardy definitely has been 100 times the strikers of Armstrong, Adams, Daka and Nacho combined. At his age though, I hate to say, I’d probably take their options up top now. It does feel offensive to the GOAT to even write that though!

Can’t believe people of still getting fooled by possession, yeah Southampton looked pretty and passed it well but they created **** all. They looked like us 18 months ago.

They’ll certainly be up there but they won’t run away with it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

Can’t believe people of still getting fooled by possession, yeah Southampton looked pretty and passed it well but they created **** all. They looked like us 18 months ago.

They’ll certainly be up there but they won’t run away with it.

They were a near carbon copy Swansea under Russell Martin. 

I'm more excited for this season than I have been the past 2. New team, new manager and some genuine positivity with the signings made. 

I mean comon. If nothing else our new keeper looks entertaining ;)

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Some unreal overreactions on Southampton in general. They beat a shite side.

Wednesday 7/2 to get relegated, to the moon.

Huge price, that.

I have them as more of a certainty to go down than any team to go up despite FoxesTalk declaring Southampton the Champions League winners of 2026.

• Haha 1

Southampton have a good squad, I said it last season that the business they did last summer was signings you'd make if you wanted to destroy the Championship, I.e. Good youngsters from PL clubs. That will stand them in good stead and they've over £100m to come for Lavia, JWP, Tells and Livramento.

Their downfall is their manager, he's mingin'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Our squad is far better than Southampton’s.

Maybe ours cost more and get paid more. They may not have names that jump out as such but at the moment, they look to have a very balanced, accomplished side for this level which is more important than ‘names’. As @Ric Flair says and I said further up, the manager will be their handicap.

Theres some getting very defensive on here for others daring to point out that Southampton have a very good side and we are still quite a mess. We really do need them to get raided before the end of the month imo.

• Like 1