Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Maybe ours cost more and get paid more. They may not have names that jump out as such but at the moment, they look to have a very balanced, accomplished side for this level which is more important than ‘names’. As @Ric Flair says and I said further up, the manager will be their handicap.

Theres some getting very defensive on here for others daring to point out that Southampton have a very good side and we are still quite a mess. We really do need them to get raided before the end of the month imo.

And ours finished 9 points above Southampton. Yes, Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans have left the club but Lavia, JWP and Tella are likely to leave Southampton. If they leave too late in the window to be replaced, they'll be in significantly worse fettle than us with a manager who doesn't inspire confidence.

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

And ours finished 9 points above Southampton. Yes, Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans have left the club but Lavia, JWP and Tella are likely to leave Southampton. If they leave too late in the window to be replaced, they'll be in significantly worse fettle than us with a manager who doesn't inspire confidence.

This is of course working on the presumption that Southampton have an absolute moron in charge of that side of things.

• Haha 1

Southampton will be up there come next May. We'll have a better idea about how we will fair after tomorrow, but watching Enzo's presser yesterday, something doesn't feel right, one thing that struck me was the apathy about who will be captain. To me he came across as being a bit less enthusiastic, unsure even, than I'd have expected. Perhaps he's just playing things down. We'll see tomorrow.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

This is of course working on the presumption that Southampton have an absolute moron in charge of that side of things.

The way their fans describe their setup on social media is eerily similar to the way our fans describe Rudkin et al.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

The way their fans describe their setup on social media is eerily similar to the way our fans describe Rudkin et al.

Expect all 4 players to be sold at 8pm on deadline day then with their version of Babylon telling SaintsTalk that for all they know the DOF had 4 replacements lined up but stuff beyond their control prevented the deals getting done :D

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bilo said:

It has to be said that crowning Southampton runaway champions after one third of the first of 46 games (or 0.7% of the season if you want it putting into perspective) is peak FoxesTalk. 

Don't worry there will be some who predict exactly what position we will finish after tomorrows match. Big bang theory level nerdiness is ingrained in some on here.  Ignore it , I do.

Edited by An Sionnach

13 minutes ago, Bilo said:

It has to be said that crowning Southampton runaway champions after one third of the first of 46 games (or 0.7% of the season if you want it putting into perspective) is peak FoxesTalk. 

It’s only you who seems to think that this is the case. Back on Earth, we are just commenting that they look good and contrary to the opinion of others such as yourself, we aren’t guaranteed to run away with the League!

17 minutes ago, Bilo said:

And ours finished 9 points above Southampton.
Im not sure this holds any more relevance than them doing the double over us in the context of this season…

Yes, Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans have left the club but Lavia, JWP and Tella are likely to leave Southampton.

Literally it is constantly being said that things will change and the observations are ‘as of now’. So nobody’s disagreeing with this? You are arguing with yourself.

manager who doesn't inspire confidence.

Same as above, I have highlighted twice that their manager could hold them back and I would have not wanted to see him here. Your point?

7 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

And ours finished 9 points above Southampton.
Im not sure this holds any more relevance than them doing the double over us in the context of this season…

Yes, Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans have left the club but Lavia, JWP and Tella are likely to leave Southampton.

Literally it is constantly being said that things will change and the observations are ‘as of now’. So nobody’s disagreeing with this? You are arguing with yourself.

manager who doesn't inspire confidence.

Same as above, I have highlighted twice that their manager could hold them back and I would have not wanted to see him here. Your point?

1) It holds relevance in the sense that the club you think 'need a miracle' to finish in the top 8 were objectively better over a 38 game season than the club you think will run away with the division. 

2) The season doesn't end when the transfer window closes. The reality is that Southampton probably don't have a better team than we do now (at least on paper) for the reasons already set out, and almost certainly won't by the end of August.

3) If you think their manager is going to hold them back, why do you think they're favourites? We know better than anyone the effect a manager can have on a talented squad. 

10 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

It’s only you who seems to think that this is the case. Back on Earth, we are just commenting that they look good and contrary to the opinion of others such as yourself, we aren’t guaranteed to run away with the League!

Your condescending tone is as bizarre as it is misplaced. 

I have at no point said we're guaranteed to be promoted, let alone run away with the league. If you were as intelligent as you clearly believe you are, you wouldn't use strawman arguments like this. I find the HMS Piss the League stuff utterly tiresome. 

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Your condescending tone is as bizarre as it is misplaced. 

I have at no point said we're guaranteed to be promoted, let alone run away with the league. If you were as intelligent as you clearly believe you are, you wouldn't use strawman arguments like this. I find the HMS Piss the League stuff utterly tiresome. 

We agree then. Condescending tone not intended or any offence 👍

My view is that both sides are strong and it could go either way. Neither are guaranteed to HMS Piss the League. 

Clearly you’ve took more exception with those you perceive to be saying Southampton will be way better whereas I have took exception to our own supporters who are being very arrogant about the league and our competition.

But insults about intelligence are unnecessary as I do not believe I made any attempt to insult you.

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

1) It holds relevance in the sense that the club you think 'need a miracle' to finish in the top 8 were objectively better over a 38 game season than the club you think will run away with the division. 

2) The season doesn't end when the transfer window closes. The reality is that Southampton probably don't have a better team than we do now (at least on paper) for the reasons already set out, and almost certainly won't by the end of August.

3) If you think their manager is going to hold them back, why do you think they're favourites? We know better than anyone the effect a manager can have on a talented squad. 

1 - Eh? Where have I said this? The extent of what I have said is Southampton look good. If played well, both should be top 2.

2 - I think Southampton have a more ‘balanced’ side than us at the moment. Quality is perceptive. 

3 - I think they have a very good side and are equal favourites with us despite their manager. He may turn out well, we don’t know. Same with Enzo. I personally wanted us to go nowhere near him because he is too much like Rodgers.

5 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

come on; lets be right, Southampton were decent last night but Wednesdays defending at times was awful, 

think its hard to call atm, as the championship is such a hard league and anything can happen, i just hope we do well and go up

Wednesday are a poor side and missing the new promoted buzz to an extend due to he bizarre decisions of their owner. But, it’s still a tough place to do so it’s a good result ground out that I’d have been happy with if that was us. 

27 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

come on; lets be right, Southampton were decent last night but Wednesdays defending at times was awful, 

think its hard to call atm, as the championship is such a hard league and anything can happen, i just hope we do well and go up

I can't see us finishing below about 10th because there's some absolute dross in this division. The problem is that that dross, if you aren't careful, can drag you down to their level if you engage in a battle of attrition with them.

The squad we still have shouldn't even be fighting relegation in the PL, so on paper we should easily go up. We all know how tough the Championship is, but with a competent manager we should get promoted. Hope complacency doesn't sink in though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Great to see the pundits are as stupid as ever on soccer Saturday. 
Dawson predicting Southampton will run away with the league based on their first game. 

He is a tree hugging barsteward after all 

• Like 1