Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

The Championship Thread 2023/2024

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Norwich may disagree with you yesterday but yes, apart from Rotherham at home, you’re probably right. 

There seems to be very few teams who aren’t still involved in either end of the league. 4 teams so far ahead at the top and Rotherham so far back at the bottom inevitably means the middle is so tight. As the weeks pass, there will be more teams who either become safe or can’t make the playoffs and may be in beach mode I guess.

Forgot about Rotherham 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Off top spot going into the break is a huge mental blow for us and a huge boost for Leeds. 

Limping home to 2nd on the final day would be pretty crap but no doubt it'll get applauded like relegation was last season. 

We will win it still.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Forgot about Rotherham 

I shouldn’t laugh at them. They have really loyal fans and so little investment, it makes every season at this level a real struggle. But yeah at this stage they are an easy 3 points!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I see Ipswich fans are moaning at our ‘soft’ penalty yesterday with no mention of the even softer (and outside the box) one given against us a few minutes before (obviously doesn’t count as a bad decision if the penalty is subsequently missed anyway), as well as them conveniently missing the fact we had another one not given and a clear red card for Seri ignored to the point of corruption!

The bias of some football fans never ceases to amaze lol

Tbf Leicester fans have spent a season telling Ipswich they’ve been lucky every time they win a game. 

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Off top spot going into the break is a huge mental blow for us and a huge boost for Leeds. 

Limping home to 2nd on the final day would be pretty crap but no doubt it'll get applauded like relegation was last season. 

You are aware that second still gets us promoted. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Context exists. 

Yes, and the context is a grueling 46 game season where you don't get what you want out of the league. It would be disappointing not to win it for sure but your comment 'but no doubt it'll get applauded like relegation was last season' is petty and lacking context itself. If we get one of the 2 auto spots, there is no reason why any fan should get mocked for applauding the players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

Tbf Leicester fans have spent a season telling Ipswich they’ve been lucky every time they win a game. 

Slightly different to taking one game (ours yesterday), which had 4 big decisions of which 3 went against us (the one for us being the only one that was actually somewhat correct) and trying to make out we are getting good fortune from the officials lol

45 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Just context isn’t it. It wouldn’t be crap no and I’d take second right now just to get back up. Even if we come straight down, we will hopefully be in a better position financially to go back up and stay up.

But it would be disappointing after how we have led the league to not finish top. And to have Leeds fans crowing that they are the best team in the league after all would be grating. 

When we are in the premier league it’s not going to matter one iota of difference where we finished either 1st or 2nd In the championship.

The championship is gruelling to get 82 points at this stage is really good.

I do agree. But come the end of bank holiday weekend it could all be very different again. 

Let’s hope they get a good rest during the international break and come back fresh and raring to go. 

We’ve beaten every team we have left to play. There’s no reason why it can’t happen again. 

4 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yes, and the context is a grueling 46 game season where you don't get what you want out of the league. It would be disappointing not to win it for sure but your comment 'but no doubt it'll get applauded like relegation was last season' is petty and lacking context itself. If we get one of the 2 auto spots, there is no reason why any fan should get mocked for applauding the players.

Bet you were happy with finishing 5th in 2020/21 too? Because "5th is great for Leicester we should be happy!".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Bet you were happy with finishing 5th in 2020/21 too? Because "5th is great for Leicester we should be happy!".

That's different though isn't it, the outcome between finishing 4th and 5th isn't the same as finishing 1st or 2nd this season

• Like 2

On Leeds they still have to play Middlesbrough who are in decent form now that their key players are back from injury, Hull, Coventry and Southampton so they will drop points at some stage. For us on paper I would say our tough remaining games are  Southampton / Norwich / WBA.

We can still finish 1st imo. But at a minimum 2nd is certainly well in sight, I would say unless Ipswich / Southampton remain consistent we have 2nd in the bag come Mid April.

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

I do agree. But come the end of bank holiday weekend it could all be very different again. 

Let’s hope they get a good rest during the international break and come back fresh and raring to go. 

We’ve beaten every team we have left to play. There’s no reason why it can’t happen again. 

I'm just flabbergasted by the collective lack of ambition. But given the track record maybe I shouldn't be.

• Like 2

I don't think it'll be as big a blow mentally as you think, Leeds could go top only on goal difference having played a game extra 

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No i wasn't, so don't put words in my mouth. You've lacked the context again though haven't you..... Does 2nd mean we lose out on a Champions league spot or something?

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I understand your view point, as from where we were at Christmas probably no one was expecting anything other than strolling the league. However, I remember the sad state we were in at the end of last season ant the poll on this forum at the beginning of this one. The majority felt making the play offs would be a great achievement. So for me, 2nd if it happens will be the goal many thought unlikely in August and I will applaud the players and manager for the massive strides forward made by a relative new group of players, under a new manager, in a short space of time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

That's not the point.

You made the comparison, and apparently if you're happy with 2nd you must of been happy with 5th after those collapses. But in reality it's a lazy dig at posters on here, like those who post postitively and get called Brendan lovers, ultimately 1st or 2nd doesn't affect us next season, finishing 5th instead of 4th did.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I want the record 8th league title and I wanted the points record. If you're happy with second after being as clear as we were then that's reflective of your lack of ambition. I wouldn't be. 

That's it 👍

Yeah anyone at the end of the season who is happy with just going up, didn't want us to win the league, or break the points record.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Yeah anyone at the end of the season who is happy with just going up, didn't want us to win the league, or break the points record.

Your goalposts have changed, mine haven't. It's not much deeper than that.

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I want the record 8th league title and I wanted the points record. If you're happy with second after being as clear as we were then that's reflective of your lack of ambition. I wouldn't be. 

That's it 👍

Yeah - i get it. I'd like us to have gone unbeaten all season. Doesn't mean that i shouldn't appreciate the effort needed to get one of the top 2 auto spots. 

• Like 2